• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,795 posts in this topic

What's with the prices on What If Venom possessed Deadpool? Never even heard of it until today when I noticed it on the bay.

Raw has been fetching around the $60-$100 range and slabbed is anywhere from $200 on up depending on the sigs.

Thanks but I'm curious as to why (It's a What If)? Is it just because it has Venom and Deadpool? Just wondering what the hype is or if its scarce before I go to my LCS and dig through boxes? lol

It was a reprint of a multi-part backup story in What If that has a very low print run (probably because it's a reprint). So, popular characters combined with low print run will do it. It's been popular for a while, so I wouldn't expect to find one in the wild unless you're in a low-traveled area.

Aren't reprints inherently have small print runs? Back in the day (at least in the early 90's), comics that are not 1st prints are not typically sought after. People want the actual first printing. Times have definitely changed!

It also has a lot to do with the cover.

What's with the prices on What If Venom possessed Deadpool? Never even heard of it until today when I noticed it on the bay.

Raw has been fetching around the $60-$100 range and slabbed is anywhere from $200 on up depending on the sigs.

Thanks but I'm curious as to why (It's a What If)? Is it just because it has Venom and Deadpool? Just wondering what the hype is or if its scarce before I go to my LCS and dig through boxes? lol

It was a reprint of a multi-part backup story in What If that has a very low print run (probably because it's a reprint). So, popular characters combined with low print run will do it. It's been popular for a while, so I wouldn't expect to find one in the wild unless you're in a low-traveled area.

Aren't reprints inherently have small print runs? Back in the day (at least in the early 90's), comics that are not 1st prints are not typically sought after. People want the actual first printing. Times have definitely changed!

It has a great Skottie Young cover

It has a great Skottie Young cover

The cover is definitely catchy. Story any good? The reason I'm asking is because my LCS have one for $100!!

Yes that was hard for me to swallow as well the last couple of years. During the 90s and into early 2000s they were considered bad drek.

Yes that was hard for me to swallow as well the last couple of years. During the 90s and into early 2000s they were considered bad drek.

That's kind of the story behind a lot of collectibles. In demand now because people didn't hold on to them/take care of them because they didn't think there would be demand.

As I mentioned earlier last week

HEATING UP

So arcanecomics sold 50 copies of Batman #35 combo a few days ago for 8.99 each and now miraculously they found a new stash to individually price at 39.99 which happens to be the average price the last 5 sealed combo copies sold for in the past two week?

jL96t.jpg

That's kind of the story behind a lot of collectibles. In demand now because people didn't hold on to them/take care of them because they didn't think there would be demand.

True. Who would have thought that by slapping a cool cover on a reprint will be like printing money?! I understand why people are jumping on the variant cover craze.

HEATING UP

All based on the false information that there are only a few hundred copies of the combopacks printed. If that were even close to being true Arcane must have purchased half the print run.

Is that an overstatement or an exaggeration?

Neither.

You can buy 9.8 slabbed copies of that book, with different cover art, for the same price. So clearly all of these sales aren't the result of a genuine interest in the book itself - that being the story and interior art.

Perhaps its the cover artwork creating a demand for that book? Except you can buy a NYC con variant with pretty much the same cover art for a significantly cheaper price. Or the standard first printing of the book, which also has the same cover artwork, for an even cheaper price. Must not be the cover artwork either.

In today's market a book selling for 5,6, 7 times what it was selling for a week ago is nothing new. But when that upswing just happens to coincide with incorrect information regarding the print run of said book getting posted all over the internet...

You can buy single digit Batman combopack issues, the court of owls books, for half the price that issue 35 is selling for and those books don't see their combo variants sell for 3x what the first prints sell for either. You really believe the uptick in prices for the issue 35 combopack is simply because a natural increase in demand for that specific variant for that issue? C'mon man.

I hope everyone here can make money off that book, but lets not pretend that the movement behind it has any basis in reality. Its being sold on false information and buyers are ready to eat it up.

HEATING UP

All based on the false information that there are only a few hundred copies of the combopacks printed. If that were even close to being true Arcane must have purchased half the print run.

Is that an overstatement or an exaggeration?

Neither.

You can buy 9.8 slabbed copies of that book, with different cover art, for the same price. So clearly all of these sales aren't the result of a genuine interest in the book itself - that being the story and interior art.

Perhaps its the cover artwork creating a demand for that book? Except you can buy a NYC con variant with pretty much the same cover art for a significantly cheaper price. Or the standard first printing of the book, which also has the same cover artwork, for an even cheaper price. Must not be the cover artwork either.

In today's market a book selling for 5,6, 7 times what it was selling for a week ago is nothing new. But when that upswing just happens to coincide with incorrect information regarding the print run of said book getting posted all over the internet...

You can buy single digit Batman combopack issues, the court of owls books, for half the price that issue 35 is selling for and those books don't see their combo variants sell for 3x what the first prints sell for either. You really believe the uptick in prices for the issue 35 combopack is simply because a natural increase in demand for that specific variant for that issue? C'mon man.

I hope everyone here can make money off that book, but lets not pretend that the movement behind it has any basis in reality. Its being sold on false information and buyers are ready to eat it up.

I wrote that article about the rarity of Combo Packs

You bring up a very good point

about what the print run could actually be on these

since they were not popular in comic shops sales mentioned on Comichron appear quite low or dont rate at all.

But yes its very obvious DC does print extras - in fact a few combo packs that a year old can still be ordered today through Diamond.

DC in most cases seems to print about 1,000 extra at least of any comic but thats not a known guaranteed fact for these combo packs.

I try to post any info I can on the latest comics at

https://plus.google.com/communities/117425156060879776249

It is possible that seller bought up all the copies that Diamond had left over.

Diamond is now sold out of Batman #35 combo pack

but still has #34 and #36 available

So perhaps that seller lucked out and got a few hundred copies !!

or people are just plain dumb
Or the seller is a genius and bought out the print run before spreading Terry's article all over the Internet. Now he can supply all the speculators as they sell to each other.

A little of both I imagine.

I wrote that article about the rarity of Combo Packs

You bring up a very good point

about what the print run could actually be on these

since they were not popular in comic shops sales mentioned on Comichron appear quite low or dont rate at all.

But yes its very obvious DC does print extras - in fact a few combo packs that a year old can still be ordered today through Diamond.

DC in most cases seems to print about 1,000 extra at least of any comic but thats not a known guaranteed fact for these combo packs.

I try to post any info I can on the latest comics at

https://plus.google.com/communities/117425156060879776249

I beat you to it here :baiting:

I still think that there will be a day where combo packs will be very sought after. They have every right to be, they have a significant lower print run based on what we see @ Comichron.. They have a diff color scheme (think sketch variants here), theyre bagged, have a digital code of course and a different price tag (think 35 cent variants here) - as I said- they have every right to be treated as collectible variants.

Will they? I dont know.

There are plenty combo packs out there that are super affordable, so the combo pack apocalypse has not hit us yet. But certain combo pack editions, mostly keys, have appreciated well over the original 1st prints. Batman 35 is one of them. That is all