• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,821 posts in this topic

You thought JTC's price at the con was high? lol Check this....

Boba Fett for HOW MUCH?!?!?!

Normally I'm not into telling people what they should collect (what I collect is better than what you collect), but for those prices, someone could pick up 3 slabbed CGC 9.6 Star Wars 42s with the first pamphlet appearance of Boba Fett. Or they could buy 10 or so 1st appearance of Boba Fett in the Marvel Illustrated Version of The Empire Strikes Back. I know if I had a choice between the 2, I would buy the 35 year old key instead of the new variant where Boba Fett is only on the cover.

Exactly.

This book is in for some major regression.

You could buy any of the various Star Wars 1 variants featuring Fett on the cover, with similar or lower print runs, for less than the cost of this book right now.

Normally I'm not into telling people what they should collect (what I collect is better than what you collect), but for those prices, someone could pick up 3 slabbed CGC 9.6 Star Wars 42s with the first pamphlet appearance of Boba Fett. Or they could buy 10 or so 1st appearance of Boba Fett in the Marvel Illustrated Version of The Empire Strikes Back. I know if I had a choice between the 2, I would buy the 35 year old key instead of the new variant where Boba Fett is only on the cover.

Exactly.

You could buy any of the various Star Wars 1 variants featuring Fett on the cover, with similar or lower print runs, for less than the cost of this book right now.

You guys are forgetting the completionist factor for those that are collecting the action figure variants. That has a lot to do with it.

Exactly.

You guys are forgetting the completionist factor for those that are collecting the action figure variants. That has a lot to do with it.

I think so too. I'm not saying that the price won't come down some, but I don't think we'll see it crash and burn. People seem to be digging these covers.

Exactly.

There aren't 3000 or 5000 people trying to do that. Especially not if it requires paying 80 or 100 dollars for one of the books.

Exactly.

Not THAT much.

Wow, just got an email from John Tyler Christopher canceling my order of Boba Fett covers because he says (or his wife says) that they sold more than they had due to a computer error...I orderEd when there were still 3000+ available on the website....and now he sells them for $60 a pop at conventions. Just wow.

Uh oh...

Here we go!

Yup, this smells bad. Theres an on going discussion about this also o the C2E2 thread under comic events. If the artist really fails to deliver those orders he basically makes Marvel look bad. If alot of people will voice their concern about this to Marvel you may be able to get a quicker response..

What could Marvel do? Marvel got their money.

What the seller decides to do with it is their business.

5000 action figure completists exist? I really don't know the action figure cover world.

These books are the first time I am chasing variants

I bet there could be a few more around Christmas as well

if nothing else only 5k exist and none were ever available for cover....I don't see too many people wanting to 'dump' their covers after investing so much.

Very true, I'm sure the starting price will keep them up in price. Aside from a few sellers who ordered bulk and would rather move them along than bleed them out. I'd be pretty surprised to see them go for under $30. Not a $60 or so profit but it definitely beats a loss. I hope it works out for everyone who ordered heavy on them. Fingers crossed for you guys no one got bulk at a discount and undercuts everyone.

Exactly.

Not THAT much.

No, and I wasn't saying that the guy asking that much would get what he's asking. There are always clowns like that on eBay. My point was only that it's a hot cover because of the action figure angle and those collectors that want to keep that run going.

But may affect future Marvel variant decisions. It certainly changed Image.

What happened at Image?

Skybound stopped doing store variants. Walking Dead only has variants for Charlie's LCS. There was a time you could simply request one but they stopped them a few years ago and brought it in house.

Exactly.

Not THAT much.

No, and I wasn't saying that the guy asking that much would get what he's asking. There are always clowns like that on eBay. My point was only that it's a hot cover because of the action figure angle and those collectors that want to keep that run going.

It became ludicrous in part due to these boards. It's easy to sell 3k when you sell 20 at a time. This is an example of books you want to avoid initially.

What happened at Image?

Skybound stopped doing store variants. Walking Dead only has variants for Charlie's LCS. There was a time you could simply request one but they stopped them a few years ago and brought it in house.

The idea of the store variants was to subsidize the title. Over the last few years they became money makers on the secondary market.

Exactly.

Not THAT much.

It became ludicrous in part due to these boards. It's easy to sell 3k when you sell 20 at a time. This is an example of books you want to avoid initially.

No argument there. (thumbs u

What happened at Image?

Was anyone abusing it?

Boba will come down drastically in a month or two.

It's the way these things go every single time.

Opinions I which Action Figure variant will be worth more longterm? Luke, Han, Vader, Boba?