• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Although you can still get a variant for most new Image titles they tend to shy away from variants on established titles.

Confused...

Why would a publisher / creator (seller)

Begrudge

A retailer ( buyer)

From making money?!

I look forward to your next Walking Dead phantom variant.

I think that has something to do with AMC...

There was a WD Ghost Variant a couple years back

At around issue 95 there was already a plan for the 101 and all the 100's. That's when the store variants were discontinued. You can see some artists trying to leave less money on the table. Why not the distributors? Why would Marvel, after seeing the action figure variant prices, not want to be part of the action. Voluntarily give up an obvious incentive variant for pennies on the dollar?

Although I do see more artists trying for their own variants as well. I suppose for Marvel it is risk free money. I would suggest most artists don't try it. Just ask to see Larry's warehouse.

I've got a copy of the Justice League #1 2nd print combo pack edition, looks like now might be a good time to get it on the 'Bay.

Thats DEFINITELY the toughest of the bunch. I have a copy of that one also and Im holding on to it. The Batman's are prolly the ones to "dump" now

I've got a copy of the Justice League #1 2nd print combo pack edition, looks like now might be a good time to get it on the 'Bay.

Thats DEFINITELY the toughest of the bunch. I have a copy of that one also and Im holding on to it. The Batman's are prolly the ones to "dump" now

Hmm, if that's the toughest maybe I should hold as well. I bought it off the shelf at my LCS on release day since it had a black and white background on the cover instead of the regular cover's full color background.

17280922231_dac525e1d0_b.jpg

Just like Hulk 180/181, the market will choose Eternal Warrior or Rai for the one to be the "HOT" book.

Sit back and watch it happen is all we can really do.

It seems that there are enough people shelling out money for both of these issues right now that there might be a situation where there's no clear winner in the long run. Keep in mind that they're both considered classic covers by Valiant fans.

I find this recent EW4 vs Rai 0 to be hilarious. This debate was settled back in 1993.

Last page cameo = EW4

1st full appearance and cover, and most important book in valiant history = rai 0

Hasn't changed in 22years, what would make it change now?

I respectively disagree with this.

Historically (primarily due to Wizard's advocacy) EW # 4 was always considered the first Bloodshot, even though was a cameo. Rai 0 was always more expensive because it was the more important _Valiant_ book, but EW 4 the more important Bloodshot book.

Same as with Solar 10 as the first EW, even though that's a cameo, with his first full coming in 11.

Because of that, for decades I've held EW 4 up as a counter-example to Hulk 180-181, where the market decided that the 1st cameo was more important than the 1st full in terms of the character.

Either way, far far more collectors have Rai 0 than EW 4, if only because it was such a key *Valiant* book, regardless of the Bloodshot appearance.

Just like Hulk 180/181, the market will choose Eternal Warrior or Rai for the one to be the "HOT" book.

Sit back and watch it happen is all we can really do.

It seems that there are enough people shelling out money for both of these issues right now that there might be a situation where there's no clear winner in the long run. Keep in mind that they're both considered classic covers by Valiant fans.

I find this recent EW4 vs Rai 0 to be hilarious. This debate was settled back in 1993.

Last page cameo = EW4

1st full appearance and cover, and most important book in valiant history = rai 0

Hasn't changed in 22years, what would make it change now?

I respectively disagree with this.

Historically (primarily due to Wizard's advocacy) EW # 4 was always considered the first Bloodshot, even though was a cameo. Rai 0 was always more expensive because it was the more important _Valiant_ book, but EW 4 the more important Bloodshot book.

Same as with Solar 10 as the first EW, even though that's a cameo, with his first full coming in 11.

Because of that, for decades I've held EW 4 up as a counter-example to Hulk 180-181, where the market decided that the 1st cameo was more important than the 1st full in terms of the character.

Either way, far far more collectors have Rai 0 than EW 4, if only because it was such a key *Valiant* book, regardless of the Bloodshot appearance.

It's not even close EW #4 is the book to have regarding BS. Dealers at shows are holding them back not one was seen at C2E2 I found a few at Big Wow a few weeks back and only a few at Wondercon..

-Brian

Are they holding them back or are they not even aware of it being "hot"

I saw no Valiants on the major dealers wall books

I only found post unity in the cheap bins like normal and the only keys I picked up were two Rai 0s for $10 each

Also, I don't have the issue number, but Wizard actually directly addressed this in an article back in the day -- ie, why EW 4 was considered the 1st Bloodshot by the market despite being a cameo vs. most other instances where more value's put on the 1st full appearance.

Also, I don't have the issue number, but Wizard actually directly addressed this in an article back in the day -- ie, why EW 4 was considered the 1st Bloodshot by the market despite being a cameo vs. most other instances where more value's put on the 1st full appearance.

If we're going with Wizard as a definitive source (I'm not saying that I do, but let's run with it for now), their top 10 books suggests that there was some inconsistency in what people were valuing more back in the day. Scans in the spoilers (because they're huge) are from issues 15, 16, 17, 2 from 18, and 2 from 19.

7pi5sAD.jpg

4WmNVqM.jpg

39ZggP8.jpg

xuB84KV.jpg

sgULOZq.jpg

OARMBEm.jpg

1QZjsvL.jpg

I saw lots of Rai 0's at the Big Wow for very cheap, not so many Eternal Warrior 4's.

It's clearing going to be the more expensive book.

Supply VS demand 50,000 more copies of Rai 0 is going to make an impact.

But for reading, Rai 0 is one of my all time Valiant favorites. (thumbs u

Edited by Rip

Close, but Wizard actually hyped EW #5 more than 4.

My latest Top 200 hot back issues chart is updated let me know if you see any mistakes/missing books thanks

http://hoknescomics.com/topcomics201504early.htm

Yeah, you break your rules with the first entry:

…This list focuses on all regular edition covers. (Variants are not listed otherwise they would likely dominate the entire list due to instant high prices and calculated small print runs)…

#1 STAR WARS ACTION FIGURE VARIANT #1 2 3 4 (MARVEL 2015) Constant demand for the action figure variants caused Marvel to continue the series. The first two were under ordered by retailers with Luke up to $20 and Han Solo up to $40.00. An exclusive variant for #4 featured Boba Fett and reached $80.00 with a print run of 5,000 copies not sold in stores.

Just took a quick glance on eBay,

Rai 0 has about 74 listed (including lots) with about 69 sold since the 20th

EW 4 has about 32 listed (including lots) with about 53 sold since the 20th.

I myself prefer the EW 4 over Rai 0, due to the more limited quantity. I also think price point plays a factor in the recent sales. Just my .02.

True but look at a bigger picture. All sold listings on ebay

Rai 0 Total sales = 429

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=rai+0&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=rai+0&_sacat=63

to

Eternal Warrior #4 = 242

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=rai+0&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xeternal+warrior+4.TRS0&_nkw=eternal+warrior+4&_sacat=63

That is almost 2 to 1 in completed sales and WTTB ! :hi:

Edited by The Authority