• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

Hmmm... it has the same name as the original and is more limited than the original.

We've seen that before...

Spawn #1 vs. Spawn #1 Black & White (five years later)

ASM #300 vs. ASM #300 Chromium (eleven years later)

Since a lot of collectors don't ever do any homework, there's a good chance this "new" Batman Adventures #12 variant could be a cash cow... forever.

The huge difference between this and your examples is that both Spawn #1 and ASM #300 had ginormous print runs which certainly wasn't the case for BA #12. It's not really a legit comparison ...

Wouldn't it be awesome if she was the dead Gwen Stacy from the 616 revived with Deapool's healing factor, and she only wears the mask because she it too HOT to look at?

lol

I picked up 4 9.8 candidate copies of Gwenpool because you could just smell it.......something about that mix over all the other Gwen Mashup covers.

Except the artwork is bad.

The art may leave something to be desired, but they're not exactly aiming at the J.H. Williams III fans ...

The lowest price I'm looking at feebay right now is $21.95. $14.99 and under sold out quick.

Hmmm... it has the same name as the original and is more limited than the original.

Since a lot of collectors don't ever do any homework, there's a good chance this "new" Batman Adventures #12 variant could be a cash cow... forever.

The huge difference between this and your examples is that both Spawn #1 and ASM #300 had ginormous print runs which certainly wasn't the case for BA #12. It's not really a legit comparison ...

So..it should be even more in demand than those.

So..it should be even more in demand than those.

No, that's backwards.

A scarce reprint variant of a book with a monstrous print run is a cool alternative collectible; a more exclusive version of a book that everyone has. You can see this all the time with later printings of keys with huge print runs (Man of Steel 18 for example).

A scarce reprint variant of an already tough book doesn't have the same appeal IMO.

Wouldn't it be awesome if she was the dead Gwen Stacy from the 616 revived with Deapool's healing factor, and she only wears the mask because she it too HOT to look at?

lol

I picked up 4 9.8 candidate copies of Gwenpool because you could just smell it.......something about that mix over all the other Gwen Mashup covers.

Sounds cool to me. (thumbs u

So is Gwenpool's 1st appearance officially 'Deadpool's Secret Secret War #2 variant'?

It's odd because she doesn't appear inside, correct? Is it possible the upcoming Howard the Duck appearance will be labeled her 1st app?

71C602FA-7E9D-4681-A27C-877FED1A63E0.jpg

Either way, I've got to think that this will be the book to have. Especially because now people will hoard the Howard book.

Yes it is her 1st appearance, we may have the next Captain Marvel #17 2nd print scenario with a little higher print run.

Howard the Duck #1 would be like Kahn's ANMNPO, 1st full appearance.

Either way, she s a thing.

Either way, I've got to think that this will be the book to have. Especially because now people will hoard the Howard book.

I bet Howard's run just tripled.

Anyone know the print run for Deapool's Secret Secret War#2 Variant (DSSW2V) ?

Edited by Carl Zen

Where is the "it's only a first appearance if they appear in the story" crowd? I think I predicted this awhile ago: a character getting a first appearance on a cover only. Let's see where it goes...

This issue will easily cause a big argument. Ultimately I don't think many people are swayed by other people's arguments in these cases, but rather just buy what they want, and when there's a clear indication of what most people want, many fence-sitters jump on the bandwagon and a clear winner emerges.

I've been firmly in the appearance in a story camp, but my gut tells me that this variant will be the book to have. The question then is why I think it will be viewed as more of a key.

The print run is one factor (as I expect speculation on the Howard issue to drive up the numbers).

But I think the more important factor is that the cover is creative content, rather than marketing (e.g. previews or ads) or editorial (e.g. sketches is news mags) content. Sure, previews usually include story content insofar as there are a few pages of the advertised book included, but the point of inclusion is to drive sales of the book with that story, rather than to tell the story itself. This would also help explain why, even though I acknowledge that Uncanny X-Men Annual 14 was published before Uncanny X-Men 266, I still think the latter book is the bigger key. It's clear in my mind that creatively Gambit was meant to be introduced as he was in 266, but the scheduling of the issues necessitated shoehorning an explanation of who he was in the annual.

For the record, I own one copy of the Deadpool book (and obviously any of us can own any number of the Howard book that we want). And I own several copies of the X-Men Annual (including 2 at CGC now), and only one copy of X-Men 266. So it's probably in my best financial interest to stick to "first published story," but I think what's posted above is a better reflection of what I, and many collectors, find important.