• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

So is Gwenpool's 1st appearance officially 'Deadpool's Secret Secret War #2 variant'?

It's odd because she doesn't appear inside, correct? Is it possible the upcoming Howard the Duck appearance will be labeled her 1st app?

71C602FA-7E9D-4681-A27C-877FED1A63E0.jpg

Either way, I've got to think that this will be the book to have. Especially because now people will hoard the Howard book.

No love for Gwen-Hulk?

gwen-hulk_zpsooskxcid.jpg

Where is the "it's only a first appearance if they appear in the story" crowd? I think I predicted this awhile ago: a character getting a first appearance on a cover only. Let's see where it goes...

This issue will easily cause a big argument. Ultimately I don't think many people are swayed by other people's arguments in these cases, but rather just buy what they want, and when there's a clear indication of what most people want, many fence-sitters jump on the bandwagon and a clear winner emerges.

I've been firmly in the appearance in a story camp, but my gut tells me that this variant will be the book to have. The question then is why I think it will be viewed as more of a key.

The print run is one factor (as I expect speculation on the Howard issue to drive up the numbers).

But I think the more important factor is that the cover is creative content, rather than marketing (e.g. previews or ads) or editorial (e.g. sketches is news mags) content. Sure, previews usually include story content insofar as there are a few pages of the advertised book included, but the point of inclusion is to drive sales of the book with that story, rather than to tell the story itself. This would also help explain why, even though I acknowledge that Uncanny X-Men Annual 14 was published before Uncanny X-Men 266, I still think the latter book is the bigger key. It's clear in my mind that creatively Gambit was meant to be introduced as he was in 266, but the scheduling of the issues necessitated shoehorning an explanation of who he was in the annual.

For the record, I own one copy of the Deadpool book (and obviously any of us can own any number of the Howard book that we want). And I own several copies of the X-Men Annual (including 2 at CGC now), and only one copy of X-Men 266. So it's probably in my best financial interest to stick to "first published story," but I think what's posted above is a better reflection of what I, and many collectors, find important.

I wonder if Gambit were on the cover of the annual but did not appear in the story if we would have considered that his first appearance? I think we would have. Covers tend to make all the difference-see the first appearance of Spider-Gwen or Archangel. Neither Spider-Verse 2 or X-Factor 24 are really their first appearances but the majority of collectors believe that they are.

Where is the "it's only a first appearance if they appear in the story" crowd? I think I predicted this awhile ago: a character getting a first appearance on a cover only. Let's see where it goes...

This issue will easily cause a big argument. Ultimately I don't think many people are swayed by other people's arguments in these cases, but rather just buy what they want, and when there's a clear indication of what most people want, many fence-sitters jump on the bandwagon and a clear winner emerges.

I've been firmly in the appearance in a story camp, but my gut tells me that this variant will be the book to have. The question then is why I think it will be viewed as more of a key.

The print run is one factor (as I expect speculation on the Howard issue to drive up the numbers).

But I think the more important factor is that the cover is creative content, rather than marketing (e.g. previews or ads) or editorial (e.g. sketches is news mags) content. Sure, previews usually include story content insofar as there are a few pages of the advertised book included, but the point of inclusion is to drive sales of the book with that story, rather than to tell the story itself. This would also help explain why, even though I acknowledge that Uncanny X-Men Annual 14 was published before Uncanny X-Men 266, I still think the latter book is the bigger key. It's clear in my mind that creatively Gambit was meant to be introduced as he was in 266, but the scheduling of the issues necessitated shoehorning an explanation of who he was in the annual.

For the record, I own one copy of the Deadpool book (and obviously any of us can own any number of the Howard book that we want). And I own several copies of the X-Men Annual (including 2 at CGC now), and only one copy of X-Men 266. So it's probably in my best financial interest to stick to "first published story," but I think what's posted above is a better reflection of what I, and many collectors, find important.

I wonder if Gambit were on the cover of the annual but did not appear in the story if we would have considered that his first appearance? I think we would have. Covers tend to make all the difference-see the first appearance of Spider-Gwen or Archangel. Neither Spider-Verse 2 or X-Factor 24 are really their first appearances but the majority of collectors believe that they are.

Based on how most collectors define an "appearance," I think Spider-Verse 2 would be the first appearance. (I assume you're referring to the costume tease in the Hawkeye/Deadpool comic, which my understanding is generally considered to not be the actual character, but rather someone cosplaying or going to a costume party?) As for Archangel, I do believe he shows up in shadow in the background of some earlier issues, so you would be correct there.

Based on how most collectors define an "appearance," I think Spider-Verse 2 would be the first appearance. (I assume you're referring to the costume tease in the Hawkeye/Deadpool comic, which my understanding is generally considered to not be the actual character, but rather someone cosplaying or going to a costume party?) As for Archangel, I do believe he shows up in shadow in the background of some earlier issues, so you would be correct there.

Gwen and the female thor are walking the streets in the middle of what appears to be a costume party. As far as I know No storyline has confirmed that they are or are not the characters but either way it's the first spider- gwen costume.

Gwen and the female thor are walking the streets in the middle of what appears to be a costume party. As far as I know No storyline has confirmed that they are or are not the characters but either way it's the first spider- gwen costume.

Spider-Gwen takes place in an alternate timeline. There's your confirmation.

Archangel shows up in 23, multiple panels like Gambit did in Annual 14 vs 266.

Still though, the Gwenpool cover is now selling for $40.00.

Please give me some links for these $40 sales.

End user counts shipping. I do too.

Gwenpool $35+Shipping

I am not intentionally giving you a hard time, but the book isn't selling for $40 and you just showed it. Counting the shipping didn't even make it there. Its just misleading and you know it.

The average is about $25-30 currently and looks to be moving up slightly toward $30 on the last few sales.

I had 9 offers before I BIN was hit in less then 18 hours.

Just struck gold at my local 2nC... in a newly stocked 50 cent box I found a bunch of signed comics (Cassanova #8 & 9 signed by Matt Fraction, Immortal Iron Fist #8 & 14 signed by Fraction, Monkeyman and O'brien #1-3 signed by Art Adams, and Captain America #454 signed by Mark Waid and Ron Garney) as well as a VF copy of 2004's Amazing Fantasy #15, first Amadeus Cho!

Edited by BishopT

Archangel shows up in 23, multiple panels like Gambit did in Annual 14 vs 266.

Still though, the Gwenpool cover is now selling for $40.00.

Please give me some links for these $40 sales.

End user counts shipping. I do too.

Gwenpool $35+Shipping

I am not intentionally giving you a hard time, but the book isn't selling for $40 and you just showed it. Counting the shipping didn't even make it there. Its just misleading and you know it.

The average is about $25-30 currently and looks to be moving up slightly toward $30 on the last few sales.

I had 9 offers before I BIN was hit in less then 18 hours.

What offers? Misleading?!?!? You are kind of splitting hairs over $0.51 cents (34.99+4.50 shipping is 39.49). Any smart retailer will use this as an excuse to put theirs at $40.00.

Any greedy retailer

I've never looked at a book and go yeah

I can justify a price increase by using shipping

as a justification to increase price.

Most of us look at the overall total price that a book has sold for . The book above sold for almost $40. It doesnt matter if the book sold for $20 and $20 was paid in shipping or the buyer paid $39 and $1 in shipping .

What I would do, and a lot of people already do. Is in this example charge $40 and offer free shipping .

Which is what the poster you are arguing with was saying .