• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Look at Watchmen... that's almost 30 years old.... though the movie is less than 7

2006 it averaged about $450 a copy for 9.8

The movie was in 2009

In 2015, the majority of sales on GPA for a 9.8 was under $200

To be fair, that book used to be pretty tough to find in 9.8. I think the pre-movie hype drew all the nice copies out of storage, destroyed the 9.8 census and, as a result, the book's price.

That most definitely plays a part.

But raw #1 nm's sell for between $5-$10. Those didn't hold there value from the movie spike.

That's not X-Files #1.

:facepalm:

And still not X-Files #1.

You must be the hit at parties with your quick wit.

when was the last time a movie from an Indy title affected the comics price.

Very true. Unless it's a big two adaptation, there are small spikes that don't last very long.

Does D/H's Hellboy count?

I would say no because he was a cult favorite before any movie. I also don't think the movie(s) did well commercially. Not to say they weren't good, but again, not near a X-Men or Batman.

Hellboy was a fairly average character in terms of popularity, until the first movie. Prior to that, there was no activity with the books. SDCCC #2 and Next Men #21 were essentially valueless, and nobody had ever heard of Dime Press #4 (I don't mean literally nobody, and I wish I didn't have to type this caveat, but here we are.)

That is demonstrated by the fact that there were only 3 copies of Next Men #21 on the census prior to 2003, while in the year and a half from July, 2003 to Dec 2004, the census exploded, going from 19 copies to 230. We don't know how many copies were submitted and when between Jan of 2002 (3 copies) and July of 2003 (19 copies), but it's quite clear that the movie announcement had a tremendous impact on the interest in and value of the character.

Likewise, there no copies of SDCCC #2 on the census until the July, 2003 update, and no substantial amount of copies until a year later. SDCCC #2 remains the much more difficult book, with only 377 total copies on the census, compared to 1220 total copies of Next Men #21.

Hellboy didn't make back its money, but Hellboy II did fairly well, $160M worldwide against a reported budget of $85M (that's about "break even" money.)

Great, what's that have to do with the price?

Follow along.... when was the last time a movie from an Indy title affected the comics price.

That's a perfect example.

Hi Chuck,

Are you a bookstore model shop, only selling new material, or do you sell backlist as well?

I don't understand the"

the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies

comment at all?

Comic shops have really evolved into the petri-dishes of mainstream pop culture. It all seems to start with us.

Personally, there's nothing more rewarding when a "civilian" comes seeking out source material at my shop.

Anyway...

The first one I remember was Rocketeer.

The last "biggie" was The Strain.

There are thousands of examples now....

Honestly dismissing current values or small spikes in price is missing the point.

Source material of quality material will always be sought after.

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

I'd say that Guardians Of The Galaxy #1 2008 series has held its value pretty well. $40-$50 raw for a book that was still $5-$10 a year before the movie was released is damn good.

Todd The Ugliest Kid On Earth #1, people still aren't dumping 9.8's off for under $75 even though the series and cartoon are in limbo

Edited by Lonzilla

Follow along.... when was the last time a movie from an Indy title affected the comics price.

Following along....

He was talking about people slabbing their books. There was not mention of a relation to value, which was the original question.

I hope the Descender movie happens! Dustin is a cool dude. He and Jeff Lemire had meetings at Sony about 6 months ago, so hopefully the suits at Sony are behind this project. Would be a great Sci Fi Soap Opera flick.

Following along....

He was talking about people slabbing their books. There was not mention of a relation to value, which was the original question.

Does the census for a book typically rise 1200% in one year without a spike in value?

Edited by mysterio

Following along....

I like to think people don't need to be handheld and can make the connection between copies being slabbed and copies being sold.

But in case it wasn't clear: the reason slabs get added to the census in a hurry is because the price of an item has gone up, and it's usually directly correlated - the faster and higher the price goes, the faster and higher the census count goes.

The movie, in that case, directly and significantly affected the value and status of those books, which is contrary to your claim that "I would say no because he was a cult favorite before any movie. "

That wasn't true, as those numbers demonstrate. Hellboy is a quintessential example of an "Indy" character "spiking in value because of the movie."

Hi Chuck,

Are you a bookstore model shop, only selling new material, or do you sell backlist as well?

I sell backlist as well.

I don't understand the"

the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies

comment at all?

Speculators who buy up extra copies ahead of time in hopes to make money off of them later or who immediately buy all copies they find when the book gets hot, so they can sell it on the secondary market, are taking that book out of the hands of a reader.

They're not buying that book for the enjoyment of it. And they're taking it out of the hands of someone who could.

It'd be no different if I owned a book store and when 'Gone Girl' was announced as a movie, someone came in and bought up all my copies of it to try and sell on eBay for twice the price, creating an artificial market for it. Except with books stores, they generally have the fail safe of being able to order additional copies, and the potential buyers of the marked up copies of a 'new' book, just aren't that gullible.

Now if someone wants to PRE-ORDER 'x' amount of copies of the same book...I'm cool with that. That takes real commitment. And balls.

But the people who have to justify their interests in comics, by speculation.... I just don't find it benefit's the hobby.

(which is 1000X different than someone who just sells off books in their collection they've grown tired of so they can buy something else - that's normal)

Comic shops have really evolved into the petri-dishes of mainstream pop culture. It all seems to start with us.

Personally, there's nothing more rewarding when a "civilian" comes seeking out source material at my shop.

I have no problem with that.

The first one I remember was Rocketeer.

As much as I love it, Starslayer #2 is still a cheap book. Long term it didn't turn it into a value back issue.

The last "biggie" was The Strain.

The Strain #1 as a comic really hasn't gained much, it's still pretty cheap, though I think you're missing the concept here: What modern comic book, over the last 20 or so years, has really gained in it's long term value because of of the spike?

Rocketeer may have had a spike when the movie came out, but today it's a fairly inexpensive book.

Has a modern comic ever had a spike from a movie or tv show that increased it's value long term?

There are thousands of examples now....

Not for what I'm looking for...

Honestly dismissing current values or small spikes in price is missing the point.

Source material of quality material will always be sought after.

I'm not dismissing sales spike's at all - if something gets 'hot' and someone is looking for a copy and I have it, they're more than welcome to it. I would just prefer someone doesn't come in and buy ALL the copies of it to keep others from being able to buy it.

As far as current values, I'm just curious how much of it is inflated and how much of it is real. When values go sky-high and then crash... that's not a good sign.

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

I'd say that Guardians Of The Galaxy #1 2008 series has held its value pretty well. $40-$50 raw for a book that was still $5-$10 a year before the movie was released is damn good.

That's a pretty good example. It may have dipped from the spike, but it's still 5-10X more expensive than it was. That book gets some love.

Todd The Ugliest Kid On Earth #1, people still aren't dumping 9.8's off for under $75 even though the series and cartoon are in limbo

That has a ways to go...

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

Yeah, Silver and Gold do pretty well and hold onto some value.

Very true. Unless it's a big two adaptation, there are small spikes that don't last very long.

Does D/H's Hellboy count?

I would say no because he was a cult favorite before any movie. I also don't think the movie(s) did well commercially. Not to say they weren't good, but again, not near a X-Men or Batman.

Sheltered

I was thinking he meant long term and something that actually gets made.

Every book that gets optioned sees an initial jump. You can get Sheltered for $4 now and it was an easy $20.

So buy now.

TV rumor for Peter Panzerfaust dramatically spiked the cost of #1....Outcast has steadily risen in price with the TV show coming up this summer.....Preacher #1 exploded with TV news.

Those Peter Panzerfaust's aren't blowing out the door's at the prices people are trying to sell them for - I'd be real surprised if 5 years from now they held onto even that value, which is a huge fall from where they were.

And that's what we're talking about - holding real value over a period of time.

Preacher had juice before the announcement, though it has definitely risen, but it'll be interesting to see how much of that spike it holds after things have died down.

Outcast has a long way to go before it proves anything.

The only thing worth watching on Cinemax is the Knick.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

What else?

They're a bit older, but maybe Men in Black, or The Crow?

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

What movie or tv show started that rise?

What else?

They're a bit older, but maybe Men in Black, or The Crow?

Yeah, those are certainly better than they would be otherwise.