• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

TV rumor for Peter Panzerfaust dramatically spiked the cost of #1....Outcast has steadily risen in price with the TV show coming up this summer.....Preacher #1 exploded with TV news.

Those Peter Panzerfaust's aren't blowing out the door's at the prices people are trying to sell them for - I'd be real surprised if 5 years from now they held onto even that value, which is a huge fall from where they were.

And that's what we're talking about - holding real value over a period of time.

Preacher had juice before the announcement, though it has definitely risen, but it'll be interesting to see how much of that spike it holds after things have died down.

Outcast has a long way to go before it proves anything.

The only thing worth watching on Cinemax is the Knick.

Banshee

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

What movie or tv show started that rise?

Kids growing up on Batman TAS becoming adults. It sure as shoot wasn't a result of how DC screwed up the character with the new 52.

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

Kids growing up on Batman TAS becoming adults. It sure as shoot wasn't a result of how DC screwed up the character with the new 52.

The character has split personality disorder. The version shown in Suicide Squad shares very little with the version that appears in her own title, yet they are supposed to be the same HQ. It very much confuses me.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

So you're saying, 17 years after the show was on, those who grew up watching it decided to suddenly hunt down the comic with her first appearance?

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

So you're saying, 17 years after the show was on, those who grew up watching it decided to suddenly hunt down the comic with her first appearance?

No it must have been the 30k readers of her first solo series and Gotham City Sirens that led to the demand for that book. Surely it had nothing to do with all those kids that grew up watching that show at any point during the decade plus it was airing on television. Harley wasn't introduced to most comic readers/collectors through comics.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

No it must have been the 30k readers of her first solo series and Gotham City Sirens that led to the demand for that book. Surely it had nothing to do with all those kids that grew up watching that show at any point during the decade plus it was airing on television. Harley wasn't introduced to most comic readers/collectors through comics.

She wasn't? I was watching Batman Adventures with my son back in those days AND collecting comics, and Mad Love was a pretty popular book when it first came out (much more so than BA12), and would over the course of the first year go to 3 printings.

I have no doubt, a lot of people may have been introduced to the character through the TV show, but she sold a lot of comics before BA12 took off.

I'd think it was more a combination of all of her appearances that slowly led to a slow building interest, especially from a new generation of fans...

Which isn't a far stretch to believe, as the same thing happened with Deadpool, without even having a cartoon.

kind of surprised IZombie got zero heat...probably didn't help the comic ended early....they should have rebooted to get some love from the tv show.

Roberson shares in the rights with DC and they had beef over another project. Said dispute played a part in iZombie getting canceled in the first place. TV show or not, I don't think Roberson had any interest in working with DC again, hence no more iZombie comics.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

She wasn't? I was watching Batman Adventures with my son back in those days AND collecting comics, and Mad Love was a pretty popular book when it first came out (much more so than BA12), and would over the course of the first year go to 3 printings.

I have no doubt, a lot of people may have been introduced to the character through the TV show, but she sold a lot of comics before BA12 took off.

I'd think it was more a combination of all of her appearances that slowly led to a slow building interest, especially from a new generation of fans...

Which isn't a far stretch to believe, as the same thing happened with Deadpool, without even having a cartoon.

BA 12 is a bad example because no one knew about it being her first. I remember Mad Love being a wildly popular book and one that people would pay a premium for.

Edited by MrWeen

There's a lot of interest in mid 00's variants...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ssgtmanteau/m.html?item=321982725942&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Some of those prices, especially the Ms. Marvel #1 (I sold two copies for $25 each. :D ) and the Young Avengers #1 sketch version (I have a 10 pack of that, I think) are pretty strong.

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

Why do you think TTA #13 will never be an affordable book again?

Do you know what was *reallllly* hot and expensive, relative to other books, in the early 1970's?

Barks Ducks books.

Do you know how much they are now?

About the same price...and that's with 40+ years of inflation.

Did you know that, at one point, this book:

7408646_1_l.jpg

...went toe to toe with Action #1 for "most valuable comic"?

Things change, nothing lasts forever, and what is popular now may not always be popular in the future...especially for a third-rate pre-superhero "creature."

hm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ssgtmanteau/m.html?item=321982725942&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Some of those prices, especially the Ms. Marvel #1 (I sold two copies for $25 each. :D ) and the Young Avengers #1 sketch version (I have a 10 pack of that, I think) are pretty strong.

I am surprised how much the Green Lantern 9 went for. I am pretty sure that was only a 1:10 variant?

I am surprised how much the Green Lantern 9 went for. I am pretty sure that was only a 1:10 variant?

Been hot for a while. Try and find one.

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

Why do you think TTA #13 will never be an affordable book again?

Do you know what was *reallllly* hot and expensive, relative to other books, in the early 1970's?

Barks Ducks books.

Do you know how much they are now?

About the same price...and that's with 40+ years of inflation.

Did you know that, at one point, this book:

7408646_1_l.jpg

...went toe to toe with Action #1 for "most valuable comic"?

Things change, nothing lasts forever, and what is popular now may not always be popular in the future...especially for a third-rate pre-superhero "creature."

hm

That's because of the converse of the Rule of 25, which is the Rule of 75. Everyone who wanted that Single Series 20 is dead.

It was and the book just keeps chugging along. I don't think I have seen much of a price dip on that book. It consistently sells well.