• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

There's a lot of interest in mid 00's variants...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ssgtmanteau/m.html?item=321982725942&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Some of those prices, especially the Ms. Marvel #1 (I sold two copies for $25 each. :D ) and the Young Avengers #1 sketch version (I have a 10 pack of that, I think) are pretty strong.

Looks like I have to dig the Gen 13 #1s and all of the Wizard/DF/etc. variants I had sitting in the dollar box section and put them up on eBay...... hm

Edited by kimik

Detective comics 49 sold fast, all out of stock all over cover price too.

Looks like I picked the right one to speculate on so far. I snagged 50 copies at half cover since the Tec 31/Bats 227 swipe with Joker and Harley seemed like a good bet to me.

Exactly... plus this gem:

Ron Garney also signed this one BUT Stan signed right over his signature. Kind of a "woops" but hey...Stan Lee is 93 years old!!!

lol

Deadpool 45 seems to have some potential and got a bump I guess from reprinting it few weeks back.

Seems like it's going for $5 + shipping, which is half cover price.

Now the Skottie Young variant on the other hand has nicely picked up.

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

Why do you think TTA #13 will never be an affordable book again?

Do you know what was *reallllly* hot and expensive, relative to other books, in the early 1970's?

Barks Ducks books.

Do you know how much they are now?

About the same price...and that's with 40+ years of inflation.

Did you know that, at one point, this book:

7408646_1_l.jpg

...went toe to toe with Action #1 for "most valuable comic"?

Things change, nothing lasts forever, and what is popular now may not always be popular in the future...especially for a third-rate pre-superhero "creature."

hm

That's because of the converse of the Rule of 25, which is the Rule of 75. Everyone who wanted that Single Series 20 is dead.

There might be something to that

Rule of 75?

Examples of once big players.

Hopalong Cassidy

Roy Rogers

Gene Autry

Buck Rogers

Doc Savage

Tracy

Flash Gordon

Popeye

hm

GoG is a good example but not an Indy

Chuck said to name any from the last 20 years so I did, I figured he meant "any" regardless of whether it was an indie or not.

As far as indies that shot up when a movie announcement was made, and stayed above that peak when the movie was released, I got nothing.

If you want an example of a movie hyped SA book, TTA 13 with the 1st Groot will never be an affordable book again, even in very low grade. But this is moderns so yeah, still got nothing

Why do you think TTA #13 will never be an affordable book again?

Do you know what was *reallllly* hot and expensive, relative to other books, in the early 1970's?

Barks Ducks books.

Do you know how much they are now?

About the same price...and that's with 40+ years of inflation.

Did you know that, at one point, this book:

7408646_1_l.jpg

...went toe to toe with Action #1 for "most valuable comic"?

Things change, nothing lasts forever, and what is popular now may not always be popular in the future...especially for a third-rate pre-superhero "creature."

hm

That's because of the converse of the Rule of 25, which is the Rule of 75. Everyone who wanted that Single Series 20 is dead.

There might be something to that

Rule of 75?

Examples of once big players.

Hopalong Cassidy

Roy Rogers

Gene Autry

Buck Rogers

Doc Savage

Tracy

Flash Gordon

Popeye

hm

You can add in whole collecting genres as well such as stamp collecting, Big Little Books, ham radio enthusiasts, etc.

I saw that book and was ready to watch it to bid and than realized the signature. I just don't understand why people have him sign books he didn't directly work on...IMO

I saw that book and was ready to watch it to bid and than realized the signature. I just don't understand why people have him sign books he didn't directly work on...IMO

whyyyy did they do that ?

I'm ok with anything he worked on even as an editor, or a character is in the book he created. If he created someone in that book i'd give it a pass, but obviously X-23 doesn't qualify.

whyyyy did they do that ?

You guys are too harsh. I'd venture to say that to most comic book enthusiasts, Stan Lee IS Marvel. Marvel would not exist without his early contributions. His influence will forever be the heartbeat of the company. So any Marvel book signed by him is fine by me.

Now if he could work on his signature placements....

Popeye still has a comic being published....Big Little Books are still cool....stamp collecting is pretty dead though there's still people lining up getting sheets of the latest stamp themes for their collections.

I understand that about Popeye,but he has hit his peak in popularity compared to how big he was in the 1930s to 1990s, as most of the people who grew up reading and watching his adventures are either dead or in the nursing home.

There is something to that rule of 75 just like that rule of 25.

At one time Popeye was a king like Hopalong Cassidy. They were hot in the 1990s.

51%2BbgpgCR8L._SX372_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61Q84PPJXCL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

They both have since faded as hot collectibles,well because their audience faded. :o

Ok, Popeye is very dis-proportioned. Also, I'm fairly sure his spinach addiction is just a cover up for his rampant roid abuse. I disapprove.

Oh, and Olive, I don't even know where to begin....