• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, HeroOfTheBeach said:

In the Jack Kirby biography by Tom Scioli it said that Ben Cooper did threaten Marvel with legal action, but it is supposed that Martin Goodman must have made a deal with them that entailed Ben Cooper producing the first licensed Marvel products, Halloween costumes.  

I suspected they worked out a deal. In 1963 spiderman was not a big deal yet 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, gradejunky said:

so the 1st print from the information I saw about this tpb on a Youtube (accurate?) video is this-the 2nd print according to the indicia came out before the 1st print as it was a print error in the indicia.  The 2nd print is the 1st print, the 1st print is actually the 2nd print, and the rest of the prints are accurate.  Here is a link to a listed 2nd print copy, which if the info I saw is correct, is the 1st true print:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVE-IS-LOVE-NMINT-IDW-DC-2016-1st-Comic-Appearance-of-HARRY-POTTER-2nd-PRINT/303865693391?hash=item46bfce84cf:g:JrUAAOSwX2RgFGpk

It's slightly more complicated than that, if I recall correctly.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/all-the-copies-of-love-is-love-in-stores-are-second-prints-but-the-first-print-is-still-coming/

The first print had an error on the barcode that required a sticker, so the second print actually made it to the stores first.  Up to you to decide which is the preferable copy,,, the first available, or the first physically printed.

I know this book came out in 1991 but Marvel Age 98 is the best example of this even more than Hulk 180.  They do not classify it as Toxic Avengers 1st appearance.   This came out a month before Toxic Avengers 1. You be the judge...This is way more than a shadow, 1 pager or a just a cover appearance.

20210201_063855.jpg

20210201_063010.jpg

20210201_063019.jpg

20210201_063031.jpg

20210201_063038.jpg

Edited by carter3175

9 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

If it contains an original story most collectors would consider it a true first. If it’s just a preview of what’s in the issue then most wouldn’t consider it a true first. 

I understand what you're saying.  This hobby has its warts.  Some things do not make any blasted sense.  Ms. Marvel was another classic example of 1st appearances.  Heck even Strange Academy had a preview in other books before the 1st issue was released.  IMO if you have a full shot and you're in more than 1 panel then it should be considered a 1st appearance.  A silhouette, or 1 picture should be considered a cameo.  I know I am not the authoritative figure to determine this is just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, they're called speculators. You know, the clowns pushing this nonsense about ads being appearances.

I do a little speculating and I don’t believe ads are true first appearances unless it’s an original story. I think those ads will always have a place in the hobby. I think the prices being paid are ridiculous but it’s not my money. If I had one I’d for sure of sold it and bought some silver age keys. 

5 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

I do a little speculating and I don’t believe ads are true first appearances unless it’s an original story. I think those ads will always have a place in the hobby. I think the prices being paid are ridiculous but it’s not my money. If I had one I’d for sure of sold it and bought some silver age keys

I know I did. You're speaking nothing but the truth. (worship)

2 hours ago, carter3175 said:

I understand what you're saying.  This hobby has its warts.  Some things do not make any blasted sense.  Ms. Marvel was another classic example of 1st appearances.  Heck even Strange Academy had a preview in other books before the 1st issue was released.  IMO if you have a full shot and you're in more than 1 panel then it should be considered a 1st appearance.  A silhouette, or 1 picture should be considered a cameo.  I know I am not the authoritative figure to determine this is just my opinion. 

I dont consider previews 1st appearances even if youre in more than 1 panel because well its in the name preview thats not a 1st appearance but everyone has a different opinion 

3 hours ago, carter3175 said:

I know this book came out in 1991 but Marvel Age 98 is the best example of this even more than Hulk 180.  They do not classify it as Toxic Avengers 1st appearance.   This came out a month before Toxic Avengers 1. You be the judge...This is way more than a shadow, 1 pager or a just a cover appearance.

20210201_063855.jpg

20210201_063010.jpg

20210201_063019.jpg

20210201_063031.jpg

20210201_063038.jpg

Yeah, this is different than the Previews scenario, this is the actual story and it is pages, not just a couple of panels. 

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:

If it contains an original story most collectors would consider it a true first. If it’s just a preview of what’s in the issue then most wouldn’t consider it a true first. 

DC Comic Presents 26

21 minutes ago, littledoom said:
6 hours ago, Corona smith said:

DC Comic Presents 26

DC Comics Presents #26 is a fun one because they call it a "Preview" on the cover, but it's an original story in a comic book that is a 1st appearance of those characters.

The word "Preview" on the cover is in reference to the new title/series being started.  It is a preview of a new title, which has not yet started... while being the full first appearance of the characters that will star in that title.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

DC Comic Presents 26

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

DC Comics Presents #26 is a fun one because they call it a "Preview" on the cover, but it's an original story in a comic book that is a 1st appearance of those characters.

The word "Preview" on the cover is in reference to the new title/series being started.  It is a preview of a new title, which has not yet started... while being the full first appearance of the characters that will star in that title.

Indeed. Seems like this has to be clarified every year or so. DCP26 isn't a preview for NTT1. All new. Doesn't appear anywhere else. First appearances. 

7 hours ago, carter3175 said:

20210201_063855.jpg

20210201_063010.jpg

20210201_063019.jpg

20210201_063031.jpg

20210201_063038.jpg

Hulk 180 does not fit the mold of these previews. That is just a first appearance.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:45 PM, Juno Beach said:

Hulk 180 is not in any way comparable to the current ads/previews situation

45 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I subscribe to this. 

I had a EOSV 2 3rd print up on ebay for the last several months and yesterday, in particular, the offers started pouring in until one person bought at the buy it now price. No offers for months, 4 offers yesterday followed by a buy at full-ask. I did a quick google search but didn't see anything timely enough, but it seemed like too much action not to indicate someone knows something...