• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

I had a EOSV 2 3rd print up on ebay for the last several months and yesterday, in particular, the offers started pouring in until one person bought at the buy it now price. No offers for months, 4 offers yesterday followed by a buy at full-ask. I did a quick google search but didn't see anything timely enough, but it seemed like too much action not to indicate someone knows something...

Was that the only printing you had up? EIther way, good to hear, as I have a few extras of that printing.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

DC Presents 26 is criminally underappreciated/valued.. first NTT including Starfire and Raven... Cyborg, a JL member, is getting his own solo feature film

Cyborg was a boring character in JLA, Doom Patrol, every JLA cartoon.. the only time I liked him was in Teen Titans Go when he is played by King Ezekial 

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

I had a EOSV 2 3rd print up on ebay for the last several months and yesterday, in particular, the offers started pouring in until one person bought at the buy it now price. No offers for months, 4 offers yesterday followed by a buy at full-ask. I did a quick google search but didn't see anything timely enough, but it seemed like too much action not to indicate someone knows something...

What was the grade and buy it now price?

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

Cyborg was a boring character in JLA, Doom Patrol, every JLA cartoon.. the only time I liked him was in Teen Titans Go when he is played by King Ezekial 

TTG every character was so good.. which is why whole show was so good.. big player in Flashpoint.. movie coming up!

2 hours ago, carter3175 said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

DC Comics Presents #26 is a fun one because they call it a "Preview" on the cover, but it's an original story in a comic book that is a 1st appearance of those characters.

The word "Preview" on the cover is in reference to the new title/series being started.  It is a preview of a new title, which has not yet started... while being the full first appearance of the characters that will star in that title.

I subscribe to this.

The more I think about DC Comics Presents #26, the more it is similar to Amazing Fantasy #15 - which introduces a new character, doesn't have any connection to Amazing Fantasy #14, and other stories in Amazing Fantasy aren't related to the all-new Spider-Man story.   Spider-Man and New Teen Titans get their own title after the first appearance story, and that new title starts at #1.  That doesn't make Amazing Fantasy #15 or DC Comics Presents #26 less than a first appearance, though.

I have a hierarchy of these things in my mind, in terms of how seriously I take these previews. You mileage may vary, but starting with the most important for me, they are:

1. Full and original preview story (e.g. DC Comics Presents #26/New Teen Titans)
  2. First cameo appearance (e.g. Incredible Hulk #180/Wolverine)
  3. Multi-page preview of story content to be fully published in an actual first appearance (e.g. Tech Jacket #1/Invincible)
  4. Preview promo content in an in-house publication (e.g. Marvel Previews #95/Miles Morales)
  5. Preview content in an external publication (e.g. Amazing Heroes #45/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
  6. Single cover image or character image in in-house promo ad (e.g. Daredevil #115/Wolverine)

As a collector (someone who buys and reads stories and books they love), I will buy often from categories #1 and #2. As an investor (someone who hopes that their collection has some future resale value), I may occasionally buy from categories further down the list, particularly from #3. As a speculator or flipper (in my case, someone who sells comics to buy more comics), I will buy from all six categories if I can turn the book over fairly quickly at a profit.

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

DC Presents 26 is criminally underappreciated/valued.. first NTT including Starfire and Raven... Cyborg, a JL member, is getting his own solo feature film

I have thought this forever. 

10 minutes ago, cd4ever said:

I have thought this forever. 

It is an $800-900 book in 9.8. There are over 500 9.8s and over 700 9.6ses. So it isn't exactly a cheap book. Yes, it is almost unique in the 80s for introducing so many characters of note, the closest comparitor being GS X-Men1 and X-Men 94, which are not good compairsons (far fewer in census, bigger comic impact, appeared in their own title).. I guess the closest one is ASM 238, which has about the same census #s and is 2X as much and yes, did not introduce 3 characters of note... all I can say is that Marvel usually beats DC and Spiderman is king? NTT #2 has even chunkier census numbers and sells for almost as much as DCP 26, which shows Marvel collectors must like Deathstroke.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

It is an $800-900 book in 9.8. There are over 500 9.8s and over 700 9.6ses. So it isn't exactly a cheap book. Yes, it is almost unique in the 80s for introducing so many characters of note, the closest comparitor being GS X-Men1 and X-Men 94, which are not good compairsons (far fewer in census, bigger comic impact, appeared in their own title).. I guess the closest one is ASM 238, which has about the same census #s and is 2X as much and yes, did not introduce 3 characters of note... all I can say is that Marvel usually beats DC and Spiderman is king? NTT #2 has even chunkier census numbers and sells for almost as much as DCP 26, which shows Marvel collectors must like Deathstroke.

For a while in the '80s the New Teen Titans were almost as big as the X-Men, but that was mostly while Wolfman and Perez were still working on it.

A cyborg movie sounds like a disaster unless they make it very cheap ... under $50 million .. which seems unlikely given the need for special effects. They do a cheap cyborg in doom patrol, but no way they can do that for a movie. I have read they are trying to do Morbius on a very low budget too, which is a smart idea. If they can get it done for $50 million they can do $200 million box office and it will still make a profit. And if you have a Joker type scenario (unlikely), it is hitting the jackpot. Birds of Prey only did $200 milion. Yes, it was poorly marketed, near covid, and with an R rating, parents who might have wanted to take their kids to a super hero movie did not ... I know, Deadpool managed and Joker wasn't just comic fans. I acually kind of liked Birds of prey, although 3 of the female leads did not look right (I am fine with black Canary, the other three, no ... I just don't find 5 foot tall 56 year old rosie perez beating up armies of baddies believable and Huntress needs to be hot and the girl...how on earth is that couch potatoe ever supposed to turn into some bad arse warrior?)

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

For a while in the '80s the New Teen Titans were almost as big as the X-Men, but that was mostly while Wolfman and Perez were still working on it.

"for a while" .. yes, i was there, teen titans was the only DC comic I read in the early 80s (i bought ronin too, of course), perez had a great run, it was just a few years though and I'd have to dig for actual sales numbers... by 1985 teen titans had dropped quite a bit (I saw some sales numbers printed somewhere that had it in line with many other DC titles), x-men kept chugging along... Lobo was pretty big for a while too (not comparing NTT to Lobo, of course), Azrael was pretty big... Alpha Flight sold a TON of comics.. while Byrne was working on it at least. 

Just now, the blob said:

"for a while" .. yes, i was there, teen titans was the only DC comic I read in the early 80s (i bought ronin too, of course), perez had a great run, it was just a few years though and I'd have to dig for actual sales numbers... by 1985 teen titans had dropped quite a bit (I saw some sales numbers printed somewhere that had it in line with many other DC titles), x-men kept chugging along... Lobo was pretty big for a while too (not comparing NTT to Lobo, of course), Azrael was pretty big... Alpha Flight sold a TON of comics.. while Byrne was working on it at least. 

they also messed up the casting on starfire. i understand they don't want an orange lady wandering around, i get that, and she is attractive, but if they were going to do what they did they needed someone insanely hot for the role because half the tension is Nightwing continuously crushing on her and we need to believe that and her sweet disposition, which this actress did not pull off (I like the titans show though, don't get me wrong, and I am going to have to accept a hot, but not other worldly hot and orange, starfire with a mean streak)... and they had better find a way to resurrect wonder girl!

2 hours ago, the blob said:

they also messed up the casting on starfire. i understand they don't want an orange lady wandering around, i get that, and she is attractive, but if they were going to do what they did they needed someone insanely hot for the role because half the tension is Nightwing continuously crushing on her and we need to believe that and her sweet disposition, which this actress did not pull off (I like the titans show though, don't get me wrong, and I am going to have to accept a hot, but not other worldly hot and orange, starfire with a mean streak)... and they had better find a way to resurrect wonder girl!

We’re looking at two different women apparently because the actress and character are smoking hot. Guess it’s all our opinions. 

12 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

We’re looking at two different women apparently because the actress and character are smoking hot. Guess it’s all our opinions. 

She is day to day hot, and I think ditching the magenta wig helped, but I think they needed someone hotter. Just my opinion. I don't know who that actress would be, maybe Zendaya, but less skinny? (Not that Zendaya would have stopped to this sort of show): So Zendaya thinks that Starfire has her face. Do you agree? : INJUSTICE

Edited by the blob

13 hours ago, Brock said:

I have a hierarchy of these things in my mind, in terms of how seriously I take these previews. You mileage may vary, but starting with the most important for me, they are:

1. Full and original preview story (e.g. DC Comics Presents #26/New Teen Titans)
  2. First cameo appearance (e.g. Incredible Hulk #180/Wolverine)
  3. Multi-page preview of story content to be fully published in an actual first appearance (e.g. Tech Jacket #1/Invincible)
  4. Preview promo content in an in-house publication (e.g. Marvel Previews #95/Miles Morales)
  5. Preview content in an external publication (e.g. Amazing Heroes #45/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
  6. Single cover image or character image in in-house promo ad (e.g. Daredevil #115/Wolverine)

As a collector (someone who buys and reads stories and books they love), I will buy often from categories #1 and #2. As an investor (someone who hopes that their collection has some future resale value), I may occasionally buy from categories further down the list, particularly from #3. As a speculator or flipper (in my case, someone who sells comics to buy more comics), I will buy from all six categories if I can turn the book over fairly quickly at a profit.

Gobbledygook 1.. Spawn, Crow, and Space Usagi make first apps in ads