• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, the blob said:

"for a while" .. yes, i was there, teen titans was the only DC comic I read in the early 80s (i bought ronin too, of course), perez had a great run, it was just a few years though and I'd have to dig for actual sales numbers... by 1985 teen titans had dropped quite a bit (I saw some sales numbers printed somewhere that had it in line with many other DC titles), x-men kept chugging along... Lobo was pretty big for a while too (not comparing NTT to Lobo, of course), Azrael was pretty big... Alpha Flight sold a TON of comics.. while Byrne was working on it at least. 

Yes my brother and I got the X-men, TT, and Avengers in the mid 80s and then picked up Alpha Flight which the first 20+ issues were fantastic. What a time to be a comic book reader. 

Until Old Man Logan several years back, Terra's betrayal was the biggest shock to my brother and I for many years of collecting.

Edited by fastballspecial

I know Gobbledygook is ridiculously rare, but it always seemed like a cop-out to have the "first appearance" of TMNT in an ad. Needless to say, I feel it is overvalued (at least for that "reason"), but nice to have. The fact that I think it is nice to have coupled with it being ridiculously rare, mean prices will never go down.

13 minutes ago, carter3175 said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

DC Comics Presents #26 is a fun one because they call it a "Preview" on the cover, but it's an original story in a comic book that is a 1st appearance of those characters.

The word "Preview" on the cover is in reference to the new title/series being started.  It is a preview of a new title, which has not yet started... while being the full first appearance of the characters that will star in that title.

I subscribe to this. 

Subscribe to what? It is very rare for characters who are getting their own title to debut in a separate, full story in another title immediately before that. Usually, they will appear in another character's story or just debut in the first issue of their own title.