• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

This beat up copy of this X-Men 14 variant sold for around $150. Is this hot for this book? I see no listings other than another raw in that $ range and two sales. I have a not beat up copy (though I don't think it could be a 9.8), wondering whether it should be slabbed, but I can't tell what the market for a slab is on the book:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-14-Greg-Horn-I-Am-Captain-America-variant-/284048767188?hash=item4222a038d4%3Ag%3AmzMAAOSwgexfiztp&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like that book sold for $125. I am assuming the interest is all in the cover, and not the contents? So while it is worth decent money, I am not sure you would get enough of a bump to necessitate grading and not really sure you can expect some future windfall bump...2c

15 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Looks like that book sold for $125. I am assuming the interest is all in the cover, and not the contents? So while it is worth decent money, I am not sure you would get enough of a bump to necessitate grading and not really sure you can expect some future windfall bump...2c

I'm not sure that's how prices work though. Usually a book that sells for $X in a raw 6.0 (which is what that looks like, maybe, with all those spine ticks) sells for 4, 5X that much as a slabbed 9.4 or 9.6. On the other hand, that sale could just be a freak blip. The other copy sold for $159 and looks pretty sharp. The copy currently for sale at $175 is hard to judge from the pics. This book is all about the cover too and getting a 9.6 slab seems to mean a sales price 2.5-3X as much as a raw nice copy: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ross+black+adam+1+variant&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

I'm not sure that's how prices work though. Usually a book that sells for $X in a raw 6.0 (which is what that looks like, maybe, with all those spine ticks) sells for 4, 5X that much as a slabbed 9.4 or 9.6. On the other hand, that sale could just be a freak blip. The other copy sold for $159 and looks pretty sharp. The copy currently for sale at $175 is hard to judge from the pics. This book is all about the cover too and getting a 9.6 slab seems to mean a sales price 2.5-3X as much as a raw nice copy: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ross+black+adam+1+variant&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

There has only been one sale for the X-Men 14 Variant slabbed, according to GPA, and it was a 9.8 in May 2020. The sale price was $215.

Edited by awakeintheashes

2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Circling back to the Bad Idea topic - TFAW has all of the announced titles for this year, except Eniac #1, for preorder on its site. 

Between the Hero Trade "pump" and the distribution (or lack thereof) of Eniac #1 I have no interest. They seem more interested in manipulating the market.

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

There has only been one sale for the X-Men 14 Variant slabbed, according to GPA, and it was a 9.8 in May 2020. The sale price was $215.

Hmm well maybe Peter is right and I should just list mine at $170 and see what happens.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Hmm well maybe Peter is right and I should just list mine at $170 and see what happens.

I suspect the cover appeals to non-comic collectors, so grading may not have much of an impact on prices. Just a guess. 

5 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Circling back to the Bad Idea topic - TFAW has all of the announced titles for this year, except Eniac #1, for preorder on its site. 

It was available for preorder at TFAW for almost a year. They only recently took it down. I preordered it back in October through them. So it was available but it no longer is. 

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

I suspect the cover appeals to non-comic collectors, so grading may not have much of an impact on prices. Just a guess. 

Maybe, It also seems to be pretty HTF. The issue also had a 1:15 variant that is more common and a lot cheaper. The other "I am captain america" 1:20 variants for other books that came out that month are under $25. Anyway, weird. I wonder if maybe this one got shorted. Folks have gotten it slabbed. They just don't seem to be selling them. Always fun to find a little treasure in a box of randoms.

Nocterra has maybe the worse premise since Boof and the Bruise Crew. Hey everyone I’ve got a truck with lots of lights on it if you want to pay me to go somewhere. I bought the glow in the dark variant because it’s a glow in the dark variant. The story and premise seems very very unappealing to me. 

11 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Nocterra has maybe the worse premise since Boof and the Bruise Crew. Hey everyone I’ve got a truck with lots of lights on it if you want to pay me to go somewhere. I bought the glow in the dark variant because it’s a glow in the dark variant. The story and premise seems very very unappealing to me. 

i avoid anything written by scott snyder. after nu52 batman he has produced nothing but garbage.