• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The only thing that makes sense here is that if they're not printing much more than the pre-order numbers, then you may get a lot more people pre-ordering all of the future books, rather than waiting to grab it off the shelf. Since all of the creators involved have good track records, I can't see there being much disappointment in having to pre-order on the part of people that are buying them to read them.

I think the disappointment will come IF those who pre-ordered do not get a first print, and instead, are given a Not First Print. If that happens, you may lose a retuning customer base and risk bad word of mouth. 

16 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I think the disappointment will come IF those who pre-ordered do not get a first print, and instead, are given a Not First Print. If that happens, you may lose a retuning customer base and risk bad word of mouth. 

Thankfully the store I referenced ordered 50 copies and got allocate to 24 with 20 customers pre-order each one of the publisher's comics.  He said that he was willing to work at getting others to try out the publisher to build up the customer base but I guess he can't really anymore.  

14 minutes ago, greggy said:

Thankfully the store I referenced ordered 50 copies and got allocate to 24 with 20 customers pre-order each one of the publisher's comics.  He said that he was willing to work at getting others to try out the publisher to build up the customer base but I guess he can't really anymore.  

Wow, just four issues to push onto new customers. I guess it's a good thing he will have some left over after his customers pre-orders, but four copies is a pretty small amount. I guess he can push the Not First Print to get people to read and pre-order the rest of the series. 

I'm just hoping my pre-order gets filled. 

2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

That's how it should work, but it sounds like it's working out this way.

Bad Idea: Oh we have a new comic coming out. Please tell us how many your store wants. 

Store A: I'd like 25 copies

Bad Idea: Sorry, that's too many. We think you only have 5 pull-list request, and there is no way you can sell 20 of our book on the shelves. You can reduce your order with no penalty, or we are only going to ship you 7 books, because WE think that's how many you can sell.

LOL. Why would any LCS want to continue doing business with BI who can't be relied upon to deliver? Greed I suppose, thinking "well if a bunch of stores dump BI and don't order any more, then we'll get more, as long as we jump through their arrogant hoops.".

23 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I thought the reason people gravitated towards Love is Love over the other appearances was that it was the first official appearance in a comic book as it was authorized.

Also, wasn't the Harry Potter character a rip off of a Sandman character?

There are a lot of similarities between Harry Potter and Tim Hunter, who was created by Neil Gaiman in Books of Magic. British kid, learning about a world of magic, glasses, white owl, the whole shebang. A lot of fans (including myself) called it a copycat for years. Gaiman himself has been much more charitable, basically saying that the trope of a young boy learning magic isn't exactly an original idea in and of itself. There are enough similarities that make Books of Magic fans go "Harumph", but not enough to lodge a legal complaint, it would seem.

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

There are a lot of similarities between Harry Potter and Tim Hunter, who was created by Neil Gaiman in Books of Magic. British kid, learning about a world of magic, glasses, white owl, the whole shebang. A lot of fans (including myself) called it a copycat for years. Gaiman himself has been much more charitable, basically saying that the trope of a young boy learning magic isn't exactly an original idea in and of itself. There are enough similarities that make Books of Magic fans go "Harumph", but not enough to lodge a legal complaint, it would seem.

You can't copyright ideas. You can, however, try to sue someone who lifts your ideas into submission

26 minutes ago, the blob said:

Those rules seem like a good incentive not to carry their comics at all. What you order for #1 is your forced order for the rest of eternity? You need to put these comics in the best sport in store? What's the big deal about this comic? Are they just trying to create buzz and perceived scarcity?

They're minis, so not for eternity; just for that arc.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Those rules seem like a good incentive not to carry their comics at all. What you order for #1 is your forced order for the rest of eternity? You need to put these comics in the best sport in store? What's the big deal about this comic? Are they just trying to create buzz and perceived scarcity?

It gets worse... No LCS in my area is carrying the Bad Idea books, so I contacted the closest one (about an hour away) about a year ago to set up a standing order. My work takes me to that community regularly, so I could stop by for regular pickups; I also offered to provide a a credit card if they wanted to take immediate payment from me as books arrived. After multiple e-mails and a voicemail, I never got a reply from the store.

So... From my perspective, Bad Idea limited their distributor network at the outset. Then they spent money promoting the small number of shops that could carry their books, but never vetted them for performance. After that small number of shops placed their orders, Bad Idea underprinted their books, and will ship fewer books than requested. It’s either a cynical ploy to manipulate the market, or the most poorly organized launch ever.

Edited by Brock

1 hour ago, Brock said:

It gets worse... No LCS in my area is carrying the Bad Idea books, so I contacted the closest one (about an hour away) about a year ago to set up a standing order. My work takes me to that community regularly, so I could stop by for regular pickups; I also offered to provide a a credit card if they wanted to take immediate payment from me as books arrived. After multiple e-mails and a voicemail, I never got a reply from the store.

So... From my perspective, Bad Idea limited their distributor network at the outset. Then they spent money promoting the small number of shops that could carry their books, but never vetted them for performance. After that small number of shops placed their orders, Bad Idea underprinted their books, and will ship fewer books than requested. It’s either a cynical ploy to manipulate the market, or the most poorly organized launch ever.

Yeah, it’s bad. I signed up to pre-order all their titles from one local shop via Bad Idea’s website. I reached out to the local shop today, and they didn’t know people could sign up for pre-orders on Bad Idea’s website. So, needless to say, no orders were placed...including mine. This isn’t my regular shop, so I hadn’t been in weekly contact with them like I am with my LCS. I kinda figured they’d reach out as release date got closer, but after this week’s news, I decided to call. Guess it’s a good thing I got the bad news out of the way early.

I reached out to the other local shop, that is part of the program, to see if they were taking pre-orders...Nope. Any orders now are for Not First Prints. I could tell the owner was pretty exasperated about the whole business model by the sound of his voice. He mentioned that he just has enough for pull orders and that’s it. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Seems like Bad Idea has some bad ideas! Just produce a good comic and sell it. Why all this B.S.? If it is a hit, then fantastic. If it fails... well, I've seen a lot of companies with good comic production values fail and not fail after a couple of good years like Crossgen. A few years ago at NYCC there was a company giving away tons of free product. They were coming in strong and had like 6 or 7 titles. They all looked really good. How long did they last? (I need to go find them.)

33 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, it’s bad. I signed up to pre-order all their titles from one local shop via Bad Idea’s website. I reached out to the local shop today, and they didn’t know people could sign up for pre-orders on Bad Idea’s website. So, needless to say, no orders were placed...including mine. This isn’t my regular shop, so I hadn’t been in weekly contact with them like I am with my LCS. I kinda figured they’d reach out release date got closer, but after this week’s news, I decided to call. Guess it’s a good thing I got the bad news out of the way early.

I reached out to the other local shop, that is part of the program, to see if they were taking pre-orders...Nope. Any orders now are for Not First Prints. I could tell the owner was pretty exasperated about the whole business model by the sound of his voice. He mentioned that he just has enough for pull orders and that’s it. 

Was there some kind of indication that Bad Idea was going to be publishing great stuff? Why the early interest? Most of what I have heard about them is this bad publicity now...

8 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Was there some kind of indication that Bad Idea was going to be publishing great stuff? Why the early interest? Most of what I have heard about them is this bad publicity now...

Yeah. Good writers, good art, high quality physical product. That’s what was advertised. Not enough for me to jump through hoops to track down their stuff now, though.

Even though they aren’t doing TPBs, I’m sure someone will pirate/bootleg their books if they are really good. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

FWIW, my high schooler showed me a few pics of the comic below (Miraculous Adventures #1) and said that kids are really into this right now because of a game coming out in April. So I did a little research and there seems to be a little bit of interest but not too crazy at the moment. Currently, these Free Comic Book Day issues are pretty easy to find cheap.

I have absolutely no idea what the future holds but just putting it on watch for now to see if postings and sales start ramping up. From what I can tell so far there was a series in 2017 and 2018.

ZAG GAMES ANNOUNCE FIRST GAME FOR THE ROBLOX PLATFORM BASED ON MIRACULOUS | Licensing Magazine

Miraculous Adventures #1 May 2018, Action Lab Entertainment Free Comic Book Day | eBay