• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Loading up on  Wildcats Newsstands

Loading up on Harbinger 1s

Harbinger 1 has been pricey for a while. I think if Valiant hangs on (or can't afford to as-is and ends up selling to a production company looking for IP to adapt for the screen), the good buys could be in the books from 2012 until now, especially the last couple of years when numbers have been *really* low and not hyped much now that Dinesh and co. are gone. In particular, the latest issue of Bloodshot (#10) introduces into the comics two of the characters that were created for the movie. So if they continue to make movies, that issue could be hot. And one of the characters has a 1st cover appearance on a sweet retailer exclusive: 
https://exchangecollectibles.com/products/bloodshot-10-mayhew-3-book-set

There are a few clear winners in the books from 2012-; Shadowman #5 & #13 (1st new Doctor Mirage & Punk Mambo, respectively); Harbinger #3 (1st new Livewire); Divinity #1; Savage #1; Ninjak #1 & #4 (1st Roku and origin; the origin issue has a sweet A cover); and there are plenty of others

20 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Did the xforce newsstand have a Deadpool card?

8C75FEAB-60EC-4E6E-8813-DC39AB1EBDD7.thumb.jpeg.15bff57e14dcde8a98a3ceeedeadc1e2.jpeg

Your question confuses me. All versions: direct, negative direct and newsstand were released with one of the cards. IIRC, there are 5 different cards: Cable, X-Force, Deadpool, Shatterstar and a Sunspot & Gideon card. Every version may have any of the 5 cards. The Cable card was the most desirable upon release.

2 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Your question confuses me. All versions: direct, negative direct and newsstand were released with one of the cards. IIRC, there are 5 different cards: Cable, X-Force, Deadpool, Shatterstar and a Sunspot & Gideon card. Every version may have any of the 5 cards. The Cable card was the most desirable upon release.

The ones he found today 

23 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Someone linked to a n uncut sheet. If that sheet was typical of the proportionate run of all the cards, the X-Force team card was a little more common., with the other 4 produced in equal amounts.

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

will this see a rise in Deadpool 1 from 1997? because that's been stone cold.. Harley Quinn 1 and Preacher 1 also

I don't see why preacher would bounce back. The series finished on a flat note. I don't see spin offs.

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Did the xforce newsstand have a Deadpool card?

8C75FEAB-60EC-4E6E-8813-DC39AB1EBDD7.thumb.jpeg.15bff57e14dcde8a98a3ceeedeadc1e2.jpeg

Yes I have found a couple. Also found some with other cards as well. Most of the time though I find them after they have
been opened.

The negative and newsstand are always the ones you want to find. Now add the DP card to those as well and its a little
tougher to find. 

Edited by fastballspecial

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Wait...are people ACTUALLY buying X-Men 1??? I specifically filled up my comic rack with X-Men 1's I bought for 25-50 cents because I always thought "If there's one book that will never sell for more than a buck, it's X-Men 1."

If Dakota North 1 finally catches on, I'm setting everything on fire and checking into the loony bin.

IMG_3059.JPG

LOL ditto...

15 hours ago, the blob said:

Not that much more even with 73 variant covers, at least according to folks here

Maybe you're thinking of a different book? Marvel had 4 variants and there were 4 store variants, 3 had trade dress / virgin versions. So that's 11 variants total.

BC updated their previous article and said it's 200k.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/100k-marvels-star-wars-the-high-republic-1-has-200k-orders/

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Maybe you're thinking of a different book? Marvel had 4 variants and there were 4 store variants, 3 had trade dress / virgin versions. So that's 11 variants total.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/100k-marvels-star-wars-the-high-republic-1-has-200k-orders/

Think he is thinking of Eternals. 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Ok, 200k. But it sold out. And there was aftermarket demand. None of the X books sold out. Nearly every store in the country ordered extras and got stuck with long boxes of them. Rarely sold for more than cover as back issues. Maybe for a hot minute before the market understood. No internet back then made information harder to come by, no ebay let some local shops make up prices, sure.

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

:(

Is there a reason you think preacher might come back? New adventures of arseface? Saint of killers maybe, but is that actor enough to carry a series? I dunno. The starr actor is a tremendous actor (he is on the crown), but again, I think he is done. I just don't know where it would go.

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Loading up on Harbinger 1s

Harbinger 1 has been pricey for a while. I think if Valiant hangs on (or can't afford to as-is and ends up selling to a production company looking for IP to adapt for the screen), the good buys could be in the books from 2012 until now, especially the last couple of years when numbers have been *really* low and not hyped much now that Dinesh and co. are gone. In particular, the latest issue of Bloodshot (#10) introduces into the comics two of the characters that were created for the movie. So if they continue to make movies, that issue could be hot. And one of the characters has a 1st cover appearance on a sweet retailer exclusive: 
https://exchangecollectibles.com/products/bloodshot-10-mayhew-3-book-set

There are a few clear winners in the books from 2012-; Shadowman #5 & #13 (1st new Doctor Mirage & Punk Mambo, respectively); Harbinger #3 (1st new Livewire); Divinity #1; Savage #1; Ninjak #1 & #4 (1st Roku and origin; the origin issue has a sweet A cover); and there are plenty of others

It's true that some of the more recent Valiant books are much lower numbers than the original Valiant books in the 1990s, but that's similar to recent "rare" Deadpool books vs. New Mutants #98.  Ultimately, it's likely that the most collectible Valiant books will always be the earliest 1990s books with first appearances - but the "most expensive" (appealing to fewer people, but with fewer copies) could be something more recent.

I'm always trying to keep the "percent increase" in mind, since a Harbinger #1 that goes from $80 to $200 is probably a better thing to "load up" than $200 variants with the hope that they become $500 books.  The percentage would be the same, but the risk is $200 each on a book that's only valuable-because-it's-rare vs. the Valiant classic Harbinger #1.

The "clear winners" from 2012+ do combine both aspects (important 1st appearances) with low prints, if you can somehow get them at a decent starting price (for a long-term hold).

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I have found a couple. Also found some with other cards as well. Most of the time though I find them after they have
been opened.

The negative and newsstand are always the ones you want to find. Now add the DP card to those as well and its a little
tougher to find. 

Is there any indication that the negatives had lower print/distribution than the regular? I assume the newsstands in 1991 were the lowest in distribution. 

12 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:
12 hours ago, littledoom said:

Valiant is overdue for a price bump

@valiantman

We're getting close to the "Magic 30" - 30th anniversary.  The first Valiant Universe books were in 1991 and the hottest time for Valiant was 1992-1993.  The overproduced books from 1993 probably have zero chance of going way up, but anything pre-Unity with good appearances would be a "classic" Valiant book that is basically "required" if you want to call yourself a Valiant collector.

pre-Unity.com has a little graphic for those books - but it doesn't do much more (as far as websites go).

Edited by valiantman

15 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Is there any indication that the negatives had lower print/distribution than the regular? I assume the newsstands in 1991 were the lowest in distribution. 

When I bought mine on release date in 1991, the split was 50/50 on the dozens of copies I got from my LCS. I’ve noticed the same kind of split in the copies I keep finding locally. It’s an interesting variation, but don’t think there’s much of a difference between the two. The newsstand I don’t see that often. 

45 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's true that some of the more recent Valiant books are much lower numbers than the original Valiant books in the 1990s, but that's similar to recent "rare" Deadpool books vs. New Mutants #98.  Ultimately, it's likely that the most collectible Valiant books will always be the earliest 1990s books with first appearances - but the "most expensive" (appealing to fewer people, but with fewer copies) could be something more recent.

I'm always trying to keep the "percent increase" in mind, since a Harbinger #1 that goes from $80 to $200 is probably a better thing to "load up" than $200 variants with the hope that they become $500 books.  The percentage would be the same, but the risk is $200 each on a book that's only valuable-because-it's-rare vs. the Valiant classic Harbinger #1.

The "clear winners" from 2012+ do combine both aspects (important 1st appearances) with low prints, if you can somehow get them at a decent starting price (for a long-term hold).

True. I wasn't suggesting hunting down the rarer variants (except maybe in the case of the Bloodshot 10 exclusive). Mostly they're not easy to find, and if you do find them, they're probably going to be from a collector that knows their worth. I was referring more to the first appearances. If, in the future, one of the characters introduced since 2012 is on-par popularity-wise as the characters introduced in the '90s, the relative rarity of the newer books will probably help their value and percentage gain more. And the order-alls can a lot of times be found cheaply, since I imagine a lot of times those copies were ordered only because a retailer had to get them to qualify for incentives someone pre-ordered.