• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

There was several pages on this thread dedicated to High Republic 1 and ASM 55 talk about rarity...

What was the print run of either of those? 2020 print runs even for hot stuff are barely those of C or D list 1991 books. Someone here has the numbers, but x-force 1 had what, a 1.5-2 million print run? So how many cable cards? X-men gatefold was a million, each cover 500k+?

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

There was several pages on this thread dedicated to High Republic 1 and ASM 55 talk about rarity...

What was the print run of either of those? 2020 print runs even for hot stuff are barely those of C or D list 1991 books. Someone here has the numbers, but x-force 1 had what, a 1.5-2 million print run? So how many cable cards? X-men gatefold was a million, each cover 500k+?

I have no idea how many bona fide comic collectors there are. Has the internet expanded it past 1991 levels? I have my doubts. We're talking about books that outnumber collectors by a good margin. 

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

People here were flummoxed that high republic only had about a 100k print run between the various covers. That was a limited edition in 1991.

46 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Spawn, Spider-Man, Spidey 2099 1’s sell for decent cash despite high runs... can’t wait for a comic like Daredevil 1 to catch on .. first issue of a really great storyline 

$25 upside on those more or less. 2099 May be impacted by little spine dings hurting grade. Rarity was the wrong word. Supply. Supply does matter.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

My local shop in the 90s was a 200 square foot hole in the wall. He had long boxes of the x-men 1 and x-force 1 books he had overordered. You don't have that for today's books.

So true and brings back memories back then of weekly trips to the LCS. For several years the owner of one shop pulled all number 1 issues every week for me, and of course I would grab the best copies of extras when I went. The only comics I ever had mailed to me were the Wizard guides and their special order 1/2 comics! Pretty much everything I picked up back then went straight into a bag/board and It's nice to see a lot of these comics popping up randomly to make a comeback now.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Spawn, Spider-Man, Spidey 2099 1’s sell for decent cash despite high runs... can’t wait for a comic like Daredevil 1 to catch on .. first issue of a really great storyline 

I never thought in a million years I would end up grading those you mention and many others of course...ASM 375 being one of my most hoarded along with Venom LP!

35 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I never thought in a million years I would end up grading those you mention and many others of course...ASM 375 being one of my most hoarded along with Venom LP!

I love that ASM 375 gold foil cover... when Legends of the Dark Knight 1 blow up that’s when things really go crazy.. i remember when Hulk 377 (which has a cool cover) blew up 2-3 years ago. I thought that was nuts. I think LOTDK 50 should be worth at least $20 based on the awesome cover. X-Men 25, Wolverine 75 also 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

My local shop in the 90s was a 200 square foot hole in the wall. He had long boxes of the x-men 1 and x-force 1 books he had overordered. You don't have that for today's books.

you might be correct, hard to say.

wanna buy 100 TWD 163? 15 cents each.

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

The DD 1 you're talking About is way later and may have had a pretty modest print run. If that particular reboot ever gets relevant it will pop.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

you might be correct, hard to say.

wanna buy 100 TWD 163? 15 cents each.

But by 1991 standards the 250k copies or whatever was just a normal book. I forget, why was that overordered? I didn't see a bunch in my shop cheap box.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

But by 1991 standards the 250k copies or whatever was just a normal book. I forget, why was that overordered? I didn't see a bunch in my shop cheap box.

lots of retailer variants, 1:200 

those incentives are how they do it now, but yes there are far fewer large outliers now than then

but by 1991 standards every book now should be canceled with a very few exceptions

BTW, I want to come over and buy some of those longboxes!

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

I love that ASM 375 gold foil cover... when Legends of the Dark Knight 1 blow up that’s when things really go crazy.. i remember when Hulk 377 (which has a cool cover) blew up 2-3 years ago. I thought that was nuts. I think LOTDK 50 should be worth at least $20 based on the awesome cover. X-Men 25, Wolverine 75 also 

The ASM 375 is definitely nice to look at. A few years back when these started jumping I graded 8 of them I believe. Even now a 9.8 hits about 100-130 ish in price. Definitely one of the best foil covers IMO. Still holding a few dozen raw to eventually grade some more in a few years as 2023 will be 30 years for this comic. 

20180510_213300.jpg

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

25 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

The ASM 375 is definitely nice to look at. A few years back when these started jumping I graded 8 of them I believe. Even now a 9.8 hits about 100-130 ish in price. Definitely one of the best foil covers IMO. Still holding a few dozen raw to eventually grade some more in a few years as 2023 will be 30 years for this comic. 

20180510_213300.jpg

So next year is the big 60th Spider-Man anniversary 

16 minutes ago, littledoom said:

So next year is the big 60th Spider-Man anniversary 

Have anniversaries like this led to value increases historically? I remember all the cover references to different anniversaries but don't recall them leading to any dramatic changes in price...I'd like it if it did, though!

2 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Have anniversaries like this led to value increases historically? I remember all the cover references to different anniversaries but don't recall them leading to any dramatic changes in price...I'd like it if it did, though!

Not sure about anniversaries per se, but usually the nostalgic zone for collectors hits around the 25/30th anniversaries of most collectibles whether it be toys, video games, cards, comics, etc.

I'm still waiting and hoping for the live-action flicks for Robotech, Thundercats, Voltron and Akira!

1 hour ago, Bird said:

lots of retailer variants, 1:200 

those incentives are how they do it now, but yes there are far fewer large outliers now than then

but by 1991 standards every book now should be canceled with a very few exceptions

BTW, I want to come over and buy some of those longboxes!

I don't have the long boxes. I didn't want the x-men 1s at 20 cents each. I took the thor 339s for a dime each and he threw in a bunch of 459s

4 minutes ago, comixry said:

Not sure about anniversaries per se, but usually the nostalgic zone for collectors hits around the 25/30th anniversaries of most collectibles whether it be toys, video games, cards, comics, etc.

I'm still waiting and hoping for the live-action flicks for Robotech, Thundercats, Voltron and Akira!

Later akira are expensive. I thought thundercats were coming back.