• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

That's ok Bill I'm sure Kenny is logging massive billable hours to make up for it. :baiting:

Matt charged Bill for this book? All I got was a pencil topper, and 3 Fruit Roll ups.

Not that I mind, I gave them to Ellen.

And not to let everyone totally down, after all this build up.

I will be starting Bills books this weekend.

We should contact the media, or the President, or somebody. :ohnoez:

Got it covered. (thumbs u ZNN will be on your front lawn in the morning.

Great, that's all I need, Zeporters camped outside my house 24/7

Can't even go out to get the newspaper without a barrage of questions.

"Ze, have you washed the cover yet?" "Mr. Ze guy, how bad is the Amateur CT?" "Do you think it will be done tomorrow?" "What's taking so long , is there something we should know?" " How can you take the time to play with your kids, knowing Mr. B has waited so long for his book?"

:pullhair:

Thanks a lot.

Is my Fantastic 3 done yet?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Want me to start it before Bills GL 1?

ok, I'm sure he won't mind.

:sumo:

You are a good sport, and as patient as the day is long. Thanks for letting me sneak ahead. (worship)

Is my Fantastic 3 done yet?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Want me to start it before Bills GL 1?

ok, I'm sure he won't mind.

:sumo:

You are a good sport, and as patient as the day is long. Thanks for letting me sneak ahead. (worship)

:makepoint:

Well, the tape and old resto is off Bills GL 1.

The cover was washed and leaf casted.

CT'ing the BC this week.

There, thread updated.

Best thread ever.

Now, before you kill me for not posting photos.

Here is the outer wrap of an Archie 1 that I worked on last month, after full immersion leaf casting.(there is a difference in types of leasf casting)

8315071a.jpg

cb960b54.jpg

And a couple close ups of the interior side in bright light to really show the casting. It's untrimmed at this point, and lets you see how the casted paper tapers out naturally from where it joins the original material.

412b3856.jpg

40c4e920.jpg

Now, before you kill me for not posting photos.

Here is the outer wrap of an Archie 1 that I worked on last month, after full immersion leaf casting.(there is a difference in types of leasf casting)

8315071a.jpg

cb960b54.jpg

And a couple close ups of the interior side in bright light to really show the casting. It's untrimmed at this point, and lets you see how the casted paper tapers out naturally from where it joins the original material.

412b3856.jpg

40c4e920.jpg

Theres some incredible leaf casting there. Unbelievable paper match. (thumbs u

But I did send these photos to Bill last week, might as well post them here.

I wish Bill never found this book, even though I really enjoy trying to turn frogs into princes. This is one book that has kicked my ever luvin arse.

So much old rest and tape to remove. Tape, Glue, marker, CT, did I mention tape?

Wow, they just kept putting it on over the years, inside and out. Around 34 pieces I think.

Here is the cover wet with solvents, in the process of taking everything off the cover.

6ce1e2ff.jpg

0315230e.jpg

And most everything that came off the cover.

28f0b32b.jpg

The BC before

14966f4b.jpg

After resto removal, dry clean, wet clean and leaf casting.

2e900cc7.jpg

And after most of the BC CT is done.

Keep in mind these photos are larger then life, the cover has not been trimmed back to size yet, folded around the interior, or pressed.

In other words, it aint done yet by a country mile.

53b21e94.jpg

ef21ec42.jpg

fantastic!

hard to understand the mindset of the person that did the original work. As bad as that restoration job was, it must took a lot of time so I don't get the mindset of how one can sit down and decided to "fix" the book...

....yet do such a half azz bad job. Like the back cover where the big chunk is missing by the upper staple. Ok, lets replace the missing piece and draw the star. Heck it wouldn't take much effort to trace on of the other star to use to come up with a better result than what was done...crazy.

I can't wait to see the front cover if we are allow to see the end result :applause:

hard to understand the mindset of the person that did the original work. As bad as that restoration job was, it must took a lot of time so I don't get the mindset of how one can sit down and decided to "fix" the book..

While hard to imagine, whoever tried to restore this copy initially did so with good intentions. (shrug)

But somewhere along the way it was like they gave up, and just slapped it together as best they could.

It does make a case for finding books with old, poorly applied resto. These typically used to be considered "bad resto" candidates because so much damage was done.

I mean, look at this cover after everything was removed.

850c39f1.jpg

e99f6996.jpg

Lately, it seems like every other book that cross's my desk for major work are key books with a ton of old, poorly applied resto. Making them very good candidates I suppose, because the book was already restored previously. Granted this is reserved for major, key books that can withstand the cost it takes to re-restore them. Especially if you can raise the apparent grade up to a decent level once all the old work is removed.

This book is gonna be so sweet when complete...

While it isn't done yet, it's close enough to stare at I suppose.

Needs some minor clean up, detail CT. Trim the casted material back to the original edge, wrap the cover around the interior, then a light press.

Lots of little stuff.

Here's all three photos again.

850c39f1.jpg

e99f6996.jpg

bd270271.jpg