• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ouch - Latest CGC Submission = FAIL....

130 posts in this topic

Lesson learned: PAY for pres-screening service....

+1

Why take the chance in having a pre-screener pull books out of the submission, that might have been given a 9.8 by the graders?

You take a few 9.6 in your submission and say "oh well."

Pre-screening 9.8 moderns is a dumb idea.

It's a really good idea if you don't know how to grade.

I always pre-screen my books.

+1

Why take the chance in having a pre-screener pull books out of the submission, that might have been given a 9.8 by the graders?

There are several factors. Price might be the biggest.

The higher the value of the 9.8's, the less pre-screening will benefit you.

If we're talking about 9.8s with a value of $30-$50, then pre-screening is the way to go.

How is pre-screening 9.8 moderns a dumb idea when the vast majority of modern books aren't worth their slabbing fees if they come back as 9.6s or lower?

+1

There are several factors. Price might be the biggest.

The higher the value of the 9.8's, the less pre-screening will benefit you.

If we're talking about 9.8s with a value of $30-$50, then pre-screening is the way to go.

How is pre-screening 9.8 moderns a dumb idea when the vast majority of modern books aren't worth their slabbing fees if they come back as 9.6s or lower?

"Moderns" go back to 1980. Not all are fresh off the press.

I really wasn't thinking about the people submitting $30 9.8's in my initial comment.

I have always been somewhat baffled as to why people submit (very) modern books for CGC slabbing. Why would you spend whatever the CGC fee was to be told your copy of Action Comics #1 is 9.4? So is mine. So are ~50,000 other copies. Slabbing makes sense to me for books that are pre-1975 (before most folks understood comics would be valuable collectibles), or more modern books that are worth far more than CGC fees (e.g. Walking Dead #1-10). But the September issue of Action relaunch? I just don't get it. Nor all those slabbed Jim Lee issues of Superman and Batman from a few years ago. "Wow...you have a 9.4 Jim Lee Superman? Yeah, we have a dozen of those in the back issue bins for cover price. Help yourself."

+1

I never prescreen my books anymore.

+1

You don't submit moderns.

+1

You don't submit moderns.

I do every few years.

+1

If there's one person I strive to be like, it is Greggy. (worship)

+1

:screwy:

I have always been somewhat baffled as to why people submit (very) modern books for CGC slabbing. Why would you spend whatever the CGC fee was to be told your copy of Action Comics #1 is 9.4? So is mine. So are ~50,000 other copies. Slabbing makes sense to me for books that are pre-1975 (before most folks understood comics would be valuable collectibles), or more modern books that are worth far more than CGC fees (e.g. Walking Dead #1-10). But the September issue of Action relaunch? I just don't get it. Nor all those slabbed Jim Lee issues of Superman and Batman from a few years ago. "Wow...you have a 9.4 Jim Lee Superman? Yeah, we have a dozen of those in the back issue bins for cover price. Help yourself."

Guess you haven't been paying attention to the FS section where DC 52 #1 variants are selling for $700.

+1

it shows

+1

Since when did CGC have a "Junk" tier?

If the books are valued at around $100+ in 9.8 and the pre-screeners pulled 10 books.

Out of those 10 books, if 1 or 2 of those would have been given 9.8 it makes up for several mistake submissions.

If those books are pulled, the graders never touch them. You're losing money.

If the books are valued at around $100+ in 9.8 and the pre-screeners pulled 10 books.

Out of those 10 books, if 1 or 2 of those would have been given 9.8 it makes up for several mistake submissions.

If those books are pulled, the graders never touch them. You're losing money.

You resubmit the ones that didn't pass the pre-screen in the next submission or save them for on-site grading, ding dong. :makepoint:

I can see missing by .2 and getting a 9.6... But unless there are hidden defects, you really shouldn't be getting 9.2s or 9.4s back.

Maybe a very small percentage of a total submission.

Historically, when I've had fellow Bay Area graders prescreen for me...it's about 90% accurate at the minimum and usually higher.

:eyeroll:

Okay, fine. You're right. Those of us who have subbed and resubbed moderns for years don't know anything. You are the authority on pre-screening and submitting moderns, RMA.

:whatev:

You are giving him what he wants. (tsk)

I had one of my Cincy mods come back 9.6. Fortunately it is a Chris Sprouse Tom Strong #1 so it is worthless as a 9.8 or a 9.6! :banana: