• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8 of the worst comic book movies of all-time

185 posts in this topic

I haven't watched all the comic-based movies, and ignoring those made-for-TV things from the 1970's, here's my list

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

5. Swamp Thing 2 Return of the Swamp Thing (sorry, Heather Locklear...)

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

9. American Splendor (YAWN!)

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I agree with your agree.

I am amazed that nobody has mentioned the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, which may be one of the worst movies ever made. At least The Spirit was so bad it was almost good. LGX? No, just horrible.

LGX is OK - it's just nothing at all like the original material.

I haven't watched all the comic-based movies, and ignoring those made-for-TV things from the 1970's, here's my list

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I thought Ghost World and American Splendor were fantastic movies. They should never have been on any "bad" list.

Now Constantine was hard to sit through...

Very much agree regarding Ghost World and American Splendor...true slices of Americana.

Constantine wasn't just a lumpen, turgid film, it was an opportunity missed. In the right hands (and setting - i.e. England!!!) it could've been turned into a franchise.

Constantine is a decent horror/supernatural movie but bears zero resemblance to the source material. The BBC could make a decent TV show out of the comic.

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I thought Ghost World and American Splendor were fantastic movies. They should never have been on any "bad" list.

Very much agree regarding Ghost World and American Splendor...true slices of Americana.

Constantine wasn't just a lumpen, turgid film, it was an opportunity missed. In the right hands (and setting - i.e. England!!!) it could've been turned into a franchise.

Constantine is a decent horror/supernatural movie but bears zero resemblance to the source material. The BBC could make a decent TV show out of the comic.

I had never read any Hellblazer and thought the movie was pretty good. Same with LGX. Having no knowledge of the source material sometimes is not a bad thing.

That's some sustained chitchat.

Where is your good twin Dover? I need to troll him for a while.

Troll this parking lot.

You shouldn't be hitting the hard stuff this early. You'll be passed out in a gutter by midnight.

You have way too many suitors anyway.

:whatev:

I thought Daredevil and Ghost Rider were entertaining enough when I watched them on TV.  I've seen far worse on the box.

I agree. I can understand why Hellblazer fans would not have been impressed with it, but it certainly doesn't belong on a "worst" list.

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I had never read any Hellblazer and thought the movie was pretty good. Same with LGX. Having no knowledge of the source material sometimes is not a bad thing.

I didn't read the comics either, so that seems to be the issue (pun intended!) On the flip side I grew up reading X-Men and hated the movies because they didn't come close to what I was looking for in continuity and which characters were used. Had I read and fell in love with Constantine prior to the movie, I might have felt different about the movie.

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I didn't read the comics either, so that seems to be the issue (pun intended!) On the flip side I grew up reading X-Men and hated the movies because they didn't come close to what I was looking for in continuity and which characters were used. Had I read and fell in love with Constantine prior to the movie, I might have felt different about the movie.

I imagine I would have been the same with Constantine. Between the movie and Comicopolis posting his reviews of Hellblazer, I will at some point give the books a whirl.

I casually read X-men so I enjoyed the movies but I would easily be in the dislike camp if I had read them continuously.

By the by, I just got done watching Green Lantern and it was very blahhh. I have read very little of the GL books so I was able to come in with a somewhat open mind but that movie was slooooooooow. So yeah, not knowing the source material probably is a good thing but some movies just aren't that good.