• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8 of the worst comic book movies of all-time

185 posts in this topic

I thought both the recent Batman films were lousy. Especially the over-rated second one. It did not live up to even a tenth of the hype.

Wow.... The Dark Knight destroys every other movie - comic book or otherwise IMO. It lived up to the hype x 10 and Heath Ledger deservedly won an oscar for the best portrayal of the Joker yet.

You must be hard to please

You must be hard to please

Not at all, I really liked Ang Lee's Hulk.

Heath Ledger deservedly won an oscar for the best portrayal of the Joker yet.

Not a huge field of competition there, a good three or four actors. But I suppose anyone coming out on top of Caeser Romero is going to be a world beater. I thought Ledger was channeling Christian Slater channelling Jack Nicholson channelling Jimmy Cagney's gangster style. Mumble through your nose and, bingo, you've got a bravura performance.

Wow.... The Dark Knight destroys every other movie - comic book or otherwise

Wow... that's quite some hyperbole. Forget Citizen Kane, Doctor Strangelove or Throne of Blood, Batman tops them all.

What can I say? I was bored and disinterested in a film I found overly serious and bordering on the pretentious. You can call me a hypocrite though, as I loved the Watchmen film.

That said, I did find Christian Bale's tough guy Batman voice a source of endless hilarity.

And now that I've convinced a previously slavering fan base, we'll put it fourth on the worst eight list.

I haven't watched all the comic-based movies, and ignoring those made-for-TV things from the 1970's, here's my list

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

5. Swamp Thing 2 Return of the Swamp Thing (sorry, Heather Locklear...)

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

9. American Splendor (YAWN!)

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I thought Ghost World and American Splendor were fantastic movies. They should never have been on any "bad" list.

Now Constantine was hard to sit through...

Very much agree regarding Ghost World and American Splendor...true slices of Americana.

Constantine wasn't just a lumpen, turgid film, it was an opportunity missed. In the right hands (and setting - i.e. England!!!) it could've been turned into a franchise.

Constantine is a decent horror/supernatural movie but bears zero resemblance to the source material. The BBC could make a decent TV show out of the comic.

I had never read any Hellblazer and thought the movie was pretty good. Same with LGX. Having no knowledge of the source material sometimes is not a bad thing.

I didn't read the comics either, so that seems to be the issue (pun intended!) On the flip side I grew up reading X-Men and hated the movies because they didn't come close to what I was looking for in continuity and which characters were used. Had I read and fell in love with Constantine prior to the movie, I might have felt different about the movie.

How could anyone hate Ghost World or American Splendor? (shrug) Those are fantastic.

No action...had to really try to stay awake throughout the movies.

I haven't watched all the comic-based movies, and ignoring those made-for-TV things from the 1970's, here's my list

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

I thought Ghost World and American Splendor were fantastic movies. They should never have been on any "bad" list.

Very much agree regarding Ghost World and American Splendor...true slices of Americana.

Constantine wasn't just a lumpen, turgid film, it was an opportunity missed. In the right hands (and setting - i.e. England!!!) it could've been turned into a franchise.

Constantine is a decent horror/supernatural movie but bears zero resemblance to the source material. The BBC could make a decent TV show out of the comic.

I had never read any Hellblazer and thought the movie was pretty good. Same with LGX. Having no knowledge of the source material sometimes is not a bad thing.

I didn't read the comics either, so that seems to be the issue (pun intended!) On the flip side I grew up reading X-Men and hated the movies because they didn't come close to what I was looking for in continuity and which characters were used. Had I read and fell in love with Constantine prior to the movie, I might have felt different about the movie.

How could anyone hate Ghost World or American Splendor? (shrug) Those are fantastic.

Yeah, regardless of the excellence of the acting, -script and direction, I'll lose interest without any exploding heads every five minutes.

1. Man Thing (2005)

2. The Spirit

3. Constantine

4. Catwoman

6. Jonah Hex

7. Howard the Duck

8. Batman and Robin

10. Barb Wire

Honourable mention:

- Supergirl (1984)

- Son of The Mask

- Ghost World

Now I agree! (thumbs u

Yeah, regardless of the excellence of the acting, -script and direction, I'll lose interest without any exploding heads every five minutes.

Well, it wasn't limited to Comic movies...I think Lost in Translation has to be the most boring movie of the decade (American Beauty is a close second) and I needed toothpicks to prevent my eyelids from closing. Nothing happened in those movies and I left the theatre feeling robbed of 2 hours of my life.

Well, it wasn't limited to Comic movies...I think Lost in Translation has to be the most boring movie of the decade (American Beauty is a close second) and I needed toothpicks to prevent my eyelids from closing. Nothing happened in those movies and I left the theatre feeling robbed of 2 hours of my life.

Nothing happened in American Beauty? :o

I was at the edge of my seat the entire time! (shrug)

But I'll definitely give you Lost In Translation. That bored me out of my mind, as well...