• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

A collection theme and budget help.

I find I can - generally - pass up pieces that don't fit my theme especially since I try to keep to a budget.

One thing important to remember is that though each piece is unique, similar pieces do exist and will come around eventually.

Click the link under my signature to see what I've acquired.

When I first got started in the hobby I saw everyone's advice of sticking to a theme. I thought that sounded monumentally boring.

Now I buy pretty much one theme and all the pieces I thought demonstrated how "eclectic" my collection was before only make me think it's scatterbrained.

Some lessons we learn the hard way :)

I have found that dealers really vary in how much they get back to you after sending them questions.

Some never respond. Others are great, polite and respond within a day.

We know the same happens in the comic world, being a Whale there gets you a fast response.

Is it cause they dont know you? they are just like that? they dont really like email?

To my mind the best salesmen treat everyone like they could be the guy to drop 6 figures on a piece without blinking, cause eventually they are going to be right.

I find I can - generally - pass up pieces that don't fit my theme especially since I try to keep to a budget.

One thing important to remember is that though each piece is unique, similar pieces do exist and will come around eventually.

When I first got started in the hobby I saw everyone's advice of sticking to a theme. I thought that sounded monumentally boring.

Now I buy pretty much one theme and all the pieces I thought demonstrated how "eclectic" my collection was before only make me think it's scatterbrained.

My collecting habits are all over the place.

So what?

My tastes are wide and varied.

Been collecting OA for 30 years.

When it came to buying art, I always bought with my heart.

Don't need to listen to any OA 'financial advisers' on what's hot and what is not. lol

Buy to please yourself, not to impress others.

So what?

Don't need to listen to any OA 'financial advisers' on what's hot and what is not. lol

Clearly you collect wrong....

So what?

Clearly you collect wrong....

:cry:

Don't buy OA if it means you have to live under a bridge (gets the art wet).

doh!

Well... there goes that plan!

Good. i hate wet art.

Also don't buy it if it means you have to sleep in the dog house,... it gets the art pretty smelly!

Confucius say: Woman who put man in the dog house soon find him in the cat house.

I borrowed that line, but I always liked it.

DG

Hi,

I've recently become very interested in collecting published original art, along with more larger commissions.

I did some searching, poorly perhaps, but was just looking for general tips, advice, things that could be a benefit to a newer collector(other than to not start!). Things to stay away from, what to look for, the condition of the OA and how that is handled?

I've looked at covers to some more modern books, and not sure if there are any general thoughts on the OA for regular covers vs. variant covers? I've been looking mostly at covers, as I am drawn more to them, but is this a better investment over pages, or is it just based mostly on the content and artist? (While I love the art, at these prices, of course I look at longer term value).

How does independent OA compare versus Marvel or DC work, or does that not matter as much?

Basically, just wanted to learn from the experts a little, try to avoid any costly mistakes or learn the hard way on things. I've always loved the art, but not something I've ever collected and I've learned enough to know that I could always use a few tips.

Thanks for any help,

Frank

I will give you the steps I wished I had go through and have picked up along the way.

1. Join ComicArtFan.com This should be the very first thing you do. Once you join, search around to see what people own to get a sense of what sort of art grabs you.

2. Look at what is for sell. Check ComicArtFan, Heritage, Comiclink, Albert Moy, Romitaman, Anthony Synder, etc. There are links to most of the bigger art sellers on ComicArtFan.

3. Look at previous selling prices in the market analysis data section of ComicArtFan. It is pretty good to get a real rough idea of prices.

4. Don't settle, don't buy a piece to buy it. I did this early on and I have sold or am selling everything that fits into this category.

5. Be patient. Don't buy something you like, buy something you love. I haven't bought anything in over a year because I haven't found the right item.

6. When you find something you love, and you think "wow, that is way over priced, I will let it sit a while", don't! Try to negotiate a better price with the seller and buy it. Anytime I took the attitude that something was overpriced, I lost out on it because someone else loved I too and paid the price. (Daredevil 34 splash, still makes me cry today ... doh!).

7. Be nice to people. I have met a lot of great dealers and collectors and they have all been very helpful.

NO>>> do your homework; I will never pay over-price even if i love that particular OA. Alot of good advice on this thread. (thumbs u

Hi,

I've recently become very interested in collecting published original art, along with more larger commissions.

I did some searching, poorly perhaps, but was just looking for general tips, advice, things that could be a benefit to a newer collector(other than to not start!). Things to stay away from, what to look for, the condition of the OA and how that is handled?

I've looked at covers to some more modern books, and not sure if there are any general thoughts on the OA for regular covers vs. variant covers? I've been looking mostly at covers, as I am drawn more to them, but is this a better investment over pages, or is it just based mostly on the content and artist? (While I love the art, at these prices, of course I look at longer term value).

How does independent OA compare versus Marvel or DC work, or does that not matter as much?

Basically, just wanted to learn from the experts a little, try to avoid any costly mistakes or learn the hard way on things. I've always loved the art, but not something I've ever collected and I've learned enough to know that I could always use a few tips.

Thanks for any help,

Frank

I will give you the steps I wished I had go through and have picked up along the way.

1. Join ComicArtFan.com This should be the very first thing you do. Once you join, search around to see what people own to get a sense of what sort of art grabs you.

2. Look at what is for sell. Check ComicArtFan, Heritage, Comiclink, Albert Moy, Romitaman, Anthony Synder, etc. There are links to most of the bigger art sellers on ComicArtFan.

3. Look at previous selling prices in the market analysis data section of ComicArtFan. It is pretty good to get a real rough idea of prices.

4. Don't settle, don't buy a piece to buy it. I did this early on and I have sold or am selling everything that fits into this category.

5. Be patient. Don't buy something you like, buy something you love. I haven't bought anything in over a year because I haven't found the right item.

6. When you find something you love, and you think "wow, that is way over priced, I will let it sit a while", don't! Try to negotiate a better price with the seller and buy it. Anytime I took the attitude that something was overpriced, I lost out on it because someone else loved I too and paid the price. (Daredevil 34 splash, still makes me cry today ... doh!).

7. Be nice to people. I have met a lot of great dealers and collectors and they have all been very helpful.

NO>>> do your homework; I will never pay over-price even if i love that particular OA. Alot of good advice on this thread. (thumbs u

Couldn't disagree more.

If it's "the" piece, you should over pay (or pay what ever you are willing to pay).... because it may never show up again.

I'm just getting into OA for the first time and wanted to ask a question regarding OA with speech bubbles and lettering already "drawn" in - if that makes sense...

I've seen OA which has no lettering or speech bubbles and other OA that has them. I guess my question is: why do some pages have bubbles and letters and others do not?

I'm looking at buying a Batman page from 1980 where the bubbles and letters look to be integrated into the artwork itself, and just want to know a bit more about why it's like that. Most of the artwork I see for sale has no bubbles or letters.

Thanks. Gotta start somewhere :blush:

I'm just getting into OA for the first time and wanted to ask a question regarding OA with speech bubbles and lettering already "drawn" in - if that makes sense...

I've seen OA which has no lettering or speech bubbles and other OA that has them. I guess my question is: why do some pages have bubbles and letters and others do not?

I'm looking at buying a Batman page from 1980 where the bubbles and letters look to be integrated into the artwork itself, and just want to know a bit more about why it's like that. Most of the artwork I see for sale has no bubbles or letters.

For the simplest explaination computers are the reason you don't see word ballons and text on more original art pages today.

For the simplest explaination computers are the reason you don't see word ballons and text on more original art pages today.

Ah, that does explain it. So, for a page from circa 1980, did the artist just give the letterer the completed page and then the letterer just hand-drew (or maybe stenciled?) the bubble and hand-lettered the letters on to the original page?

Ah, that does explain it. So, for a page from circa 1980, did the artist just give the letterer the completed page and then the letterer just hand-drew (or maybe stenciled?) the bubble and hand-lettered the letters on to the original page?

Yeah and they would also sometimes paste the completed word ballons on the page.

I prefer the look of older pages I hate how original covers and title pages don't look complete today.

In the old days, lettering was hand down; today it is most commonly done by using computer tools to add it to a scanned image of the page.

BTW, inking is moving that way rapidly. It's common to see pages of OA pencils and the same page with blue-line inks. Here's one of mine:

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

Finally, pencils are moving to the computer as well. It's conceivable that we are buying a dying art form.

I prefer pages with everything - pencil, ink, and words.