• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Some really great advice on this thread for what it's worth my 2 cents

Collect what you like

Be a comic art fans member

Make a list of what you are really looking for

Be patient ( or you will buy everything)

Have fun and display your passion proudly

The OA I have does not have the artist’s signature on it. Will the value of the art decrease if I have the artist sign it (since the published page did not have the signature originally)?

Does any of you get their OA signed by the artists after purchasing (like during conventions)? If yes, do you have it signed on the front page or back?

The OA I have does not have the artist’s signature on it. Will the value of the art decrease if I have the artist sign it (since the published page did not have the signature originally)?

Does any of you get their OA signed by the artists after purchasing (like during conventions)? If yes, do you have it signed on the front page or back?

As long as the signature isn't destroying art or detracting in some way, it is fine. I usually have artists sign it in black ink in a margin; for some people large, obvious signatures (even in the margin) are turnoff, which could lose you a potential buyer/bidder in the future.

I prefer to have the artwork signed.

In my admittedly limited experience, the signature has little bearing.

I've generally gotten them both on pages I've bought at conventions directly from the artist and pages I've bought elsewhere and brought for the artist to sign.

Personally as a fan, I've found it spurs conversations and interactions with creators you might not get otherwise.

As long as the signature isn't destroying art or detracting in some way, it is fine. I usually have artists sign it in black ink in a margin; for some people large, obvious signatures (even in the margin) are turnoff, which could lose you a potential buyer/bidder in the future.

I prefer to have the artwork signed.

I also like to have my artwork signed. As long as it's in the margin or outside of the art area.

It's kind of like a stamp of approval from the artist saying "yup I did this"

It also depends on whether you ever plan on selling it or not. If you plan on keeping it, do what makes you happy. I recently got 2 pieces signed, 1 by McFarlane and Micheline and the 2nd by Micheline, Layton and Dave Ross. Definitely created a nice conversation with all 3.

I guess that depends on the book. I have the original Star Trek TNG the space between incentive cover and I just cut the cover off and framed it that way. But I can get get another issue fairly I expensively if I needed to. I framed it with Avengers #223 cover for the commission cover next to it.

image_zps6d5d8703.jpg

If I got a cap pic drawn for me on the blank cover of cap 1 colored as well as the drawing it is a marvel now what would that run me in terms of price? This would be my first time as well getting OA/ commission art.

If I got a cap pic drawn for me on the blank cover of cap 1 colored as well as the drawing it is a marvel now what would that run me in terms of price? This would be my first time as well getting OA/ commission art.

tree fiddy

(that's my first tree fiddy! I could not resist!)

seriously though mmanick, you will have to be more specific. I will do it for $5, colored and all. The artist matters the most in terms of pricing, so whomever you want to draw it will be important to figure price range. One artist drawing and another coloring? Head sketch, torso, or full figure? get specific man!

Since you're from the Bay Area, I'll cut ya some slack. You do have to let us know what you want on the cover. Full figure, bust, head shot? And which artist? Some will run ya about $60, others up to $500 or more.

Since you're from the Bay Area, I'll cut ya some slack. You do have to let us know what you want on the cover. Full figure, bust, head shot? And which artist? Some will run ya about $60, others up to $500 or more.

I've never dealt with this kind of stuff so I don't really know the terminology. I was hoping for a piece that kinda copies cap 1 where he's in his classic golden age look and punching hitler or where he's just saluting and the American flag is in the back and he's holding his first GA shield. I was wanting someone like romita, steranko older original guys that helped in the GA/SA. Hope this helps.

If I got a cap pic drawn for me on the blank cover of cap 1 colored as well as the drawing it is a marvel now what would that run me in terms of price?

Once more, in English (shrug)

lol I'm wanting a GA looking cap on the cover of my new blank marvel now captain America 1.

If you are serious about this, I can tell you that in August of 2012, it was reported that Jim Steranko was doing some commission work:

From Arlen Schumer and Kurt Busiek:

Jim Steranko has finally agreed to accept commissions from art collectors in the States and overseas. The subject matter should feature characters identified with the artist, such as Captain America, Nick Fury, The Shadow, Batman, etc. He generally works in two standard formats:

Character portraits rendered in ink on 7x10" stock which range from $250-750, depending on the complexity of such detail as dramatic lighting/shadows, expressions, minor background elements, etc. Blank comicbook cover portraits range from $400-750. Super-tight pencilled figures with minimal backgrounds on 11x14” Strathmore vellum stock run about $1250. Variations will be quoted individually. Scheduling depends on commercial deadlines, but generally 1-3 weeks. Postage, packing, and insurance are extra. Steranko vintage originals have recently sold for $30-100K, with recreations reselling for $30K, so the investment aspect is significant.

The artist can be contacted at supergraphics@prevue.net.

If you are serious about this, I can tell you that in August of 2012, it was reported that Jim Steranko was doing some commission work:

From Arlen Schumer and Kurt Busiek:

Jim Steranko has finally agreed to accept commissions from art collectors in the States and overseas. The subject matter should feature characters identified with the artist, such as Captain America, Nick Fury, The Shadow, Batman, etc. He generally works in two standard formats:

Character portraits rendered in ink on 7x10" stock which range from $250-750, depending on the complexity of such detail as dramatic lighting/shadows, expressions, minor background elements, etc. Blank comicbook cover portraits range from $400-750. Super-tight pencilled figures with minimal backgrounds on 11x14” Strathmore vellum stock run about $1250. Variations will be quoted individually. Scheduling depends on commercial deadlines, but generally 1-3 weeks. Postage, packing, and insurance are extra. Steranko vintage originals have recently sold for $30-100K, with recreations reselling for $30K, so the investment aspect is significant.

The artist can be contacted at supergraphics@prevue.net.

Wow! I was hoping to see one of them at a con that sucks! That super expensive I'd be better off buying a key book for that :sorry: that does suck! One of my SGTs who is a huge cap fan has a piece of OA from someone that's really cool and it's a GA cap looking picture.

I was hoping something like this with color of course

4cc06e7c2f0fea31d33c4c2489c29d7b.jpg4f77a8b64025cfcca3f60a8f105962d7.jpg1191b8576f53f979678f32a628a401bb.jpg