• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

When it comes to buying art from dealers or artists directly do you find they are open to lower offers than asking price, generally?

It never hurts to ask, BUT don't be the guy that offers $400 for two pages that total $1075. I politely declined his "offer" first thing this morning :gossip:

I was thinking more in terms 10 to 15% on a single piece or maybe 20% on the total order of 3 to 4 pieces. Not because I'm trying to low ball anyone either, but I have a budget and want to make a run at some stuff, but don't want to be the insulting guy and get blackballed by my favorite artist or a dealer who might have stuff I want down the line. I'm really not sure about the etiquette

There is another thread in the OA section discussing etiquette and making offers. After much discussion it can be pretty much be summed up with "Common sense and courtesy." If you use liberal amounts of both you can't go wrong.

There is no 'standard' for a proper or fair amount to ask for on a discount. Just go with your gut. If you're in the ballpark of what they will accept chances are they will counter(That's what I would do.) If you are WAY off, they may just decline (also, what I would do.)

Good luck :wishluck:

Hey guys,

When it comes to buying art from dealers or artists directly do you find they are open to lower offers than asking price, generally?

It never hurts to ask, BUT don't be the guy that offers $400 for two pages that total $1075. I politely declined his "offer" first thing this morning :gossip:

I was thinking more in terms 10 to 15% on a single piece or maybe 20% on the total order of 3 to 4 pieces. Not because I'm trying to low ball anyone either, but I have a budget and want to make a run at some stuff, but don't want to be the insulting guy and get blackballed by my favorite artist or a dealer who might have stuff I want down the line. I'm really not sure about the etiquette

There is another thread in the OA section discussing etiquette and making offers. After much discussion it can be pretty much be summed up with "Common sense and courtesy." If you use liberal amounts of both you can't go wrong.

There is no 'standard' for a proper or fair amount to ask for on a discount. Just go with your gut. If you're in the ballpark of what they will accept chances are they will counter(That's what I would do.) If you are WAY off, they may just decline (also, what I would do.)

Good luck :wishluck:

Thank you Mr.Not so nice. Much appreciated

If I want the rigid sleeves for my art, like a baseball card hard top loader but bigger, what is that called? Had a piece of art shipped to me in one and I'd love to have some! I was always under the impression that the mylar sleeves were flimsy and basically just a protective film?

any shop selling mylar sleeves in Canada?

many do.

there is Paradise Comics in Toronto..

What City you in?

Actually, I'm looking for mylar sleeves for my 2page comic art..

I just made an order from Atlantic Protective Pouches...and they do custom size mylar sleevs and even can do cover flaps.....

Any of you tried this company before?

www.AtlanticProtectivePouches.com

The guy their (Wally) is very easy to talk to on the phone and very helpful...=)

I'll report back once I get my package from him...

Been awhile since I posted any questions here, but I've got a few now --

How does the OA community feel about pieces with minor cosmetic damage, i.e glue stains, tanning, missing paste-ups, etc.?

Is there more tolerance because the pieces are one-of-a-kind?

Is it a bad idea to buy pieces with cosmetic damage (because they will be harder to resell)?

Does it all boil down in the end to personal preferences?

Thanks!

How does the OA community feel about pieces with minor cosmetic damage, i.e glue stains, tanning, missing paste-ups, etc.?

Is it a bad idea to buy pieces with cosmetic damage (because they will be harder to resell)?

Thanks!

It will vary due to personal preferences, but I don't care about cosmetic damagess and from my observation it doesn't really affect the sale price. OA collecting is not comic collecting.

Now if the page is totally beat up that is a different story.

Malvin

Thanks!

What Malvin said. A few paste ups missing, or tape stains no big deal.

Now if it has water damage, mold, or bookworms... then that's a different story, as your art could be destroyed in short order unless you get it restored.

I've got a question: I purchased an original cover via Paypal through an art rep and the OA had to come from Italy - I have not recieved it. The art rep is someone I have dealt with before, and very communicative. I have no reason to believe there is anything shady or underhanded going on.

However, I am approaching my 45 days on Paypal - do I just cross my fingers hoping the art shows up and assume the art rep will make it right should something happen?

I've got a question: I purchased an original cover via Paypal through an art rep and the OA had to come from Italy - I have not recieved it. The art rep is someone I have dealt with before, and very communicative. I have no reason to believe there is anything shady or underhanded going on.

However, I am approaching my 45 days on Paypal - do I just cross my fingers hoping the art shows up and assume the art rep will make it right should something happen?

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

Hey, first post here after 7 years (i think!).

I bought a Spider-Man sketch by J. Scott Campbell which another board member was kind enough to sell me as a favor.

I was just wondering where i could get a mylar and fullback to store it in? I'm not interested in framing it. The dimensions are 9" x 12". Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

Thanks - I am actually pretty confident everything will be fine - I was just hoping to get some opinions from seasoned OA buyers.