• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

well, hope this isn't blunt, how much were you expecting to pay for an original piece by legends like Romita or Steranko?

Malvin

Not 30-100k I'd rather buy cap 1 for that much. I'll guess I'll just stick to what I know comics. A piece of OA isn't worth that much to me. It's not like they're Picasso or something.

I hope I didn't make myself look to stupid in the OA sub forum. I didn't know things from these guys were so expensive I was thinking maybe 300$ but not 30k. I'm throwing in the towel on this one for sure.

I hope I didn't make myself look to stupid in the OA sub forum. I didn't know things from these guys were so expensive I was thinking maybe 300$ but not 30k. I'm throwing in the towel on this one for sure.

No. The price is around $300. You can someday get $30 for it, is what what said.

No. The price is around $300. You can someday get $30 for it, is what what said.

So that would depreciate very fast sheesh from 300-30 :eek: ....I don't plan on selling it ever if I got something from romita sr,streranko though so the price drop wouldn't matter. I don't really like selling much I'd rather keep everything if I could. so with color the type of pic I'm looking for by one of them would only be 300?

haha you did misread it 30K is how much vintage recreations are selling for, new ones won't cost that much. I thought you were expecting to pay for less than $100.. for anything by anyone significant it will be a few hundred at least, but not 30K.. unlesss Capullo is doing you a sketch :P

Malvin

haha you did misread it 30K is how much vintage recreations are selling for, new ones won't cost that much. I thought you were expecting to pay for less than $100.. for anything by anyone significant it will be a few hundred at least, but not 30K.. unlesss Capullo is doing you a sketch :P

Malvin

Capullo the batman drawer? I'm trying to stay between 250-350 so romita sr, steranko would do a pic in color for that? Do you think waiting to ask at big con would be better?

Yeah,the Capulllo was a joke, he wants 50K for his Batman cover.

I don't think you can get colour, Steranko's quote was $400-$700 on a comic blank cover.

some people are only accessible via cons, others are accessible outside of cons. I don't think Romita Sr (or Jr) is doing commissions but it sounds like Sterakno might be.

Malvin

Yeah,the Capulllo was a joke, he wants 50K for his Batman cover.

I don't think you can get colour, Steranko's quote was $400-$700 on a comic blank cover.

some people are only accessible via cons, others are accessible outside of cons. I don't think Romita Sr (or Jr) is doing commissions but it sounds like Sterakno might be.

Malvin

Whoa 50k faggetabout it! I'm not really into moderns either! I don't know if id be into a book with out color and I pay that much I'd really have to think about it.....I'd like to get something from either one. Maybe even a pic and shake his hand you know.

I think Jim's rates are pretty reasonable:

• Character portraits rendered in ink on 7x10" stock which range from $250-750, depending on the complexity of such detail as dramatic lighting/shadows, expressions, minor background elements, etc.
  • Blank comicbook cover portraits range from $400-750.
  • Super-tight pencilled figures with minimal backgrounds on 11x14” Strathmore vellum stock run about $1250.

The other numbers in the quote that I pasted are for much more complex pieces (recreations) or original published art.

It sounds to me that what you want from Jim would cost you between $400 to $750.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think Jim's rates are pretty reasonable:

• Character portraits rendered in ink on 7x10" stock which range from $250-750, depending on the complexity of such detail as dramatic lighting/shadows, expressions, minor background elements, etc.
  • Blank comicbook cover portraits range from $400-750.
  • Super-tight pencilled figures with minimal backgrounds on 11x14” Strathmore vellum stock run about $1250.

The other numbers in the quote that I pasted are for much more complex pieces (recreations) or original published art.

It sounds to me that what you want from Jim would cost you between $400 to $750.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem I think I'm going to try for some of his stuff I emailed that e mail you left as well.

steranko is over a year overdue on his commissions at this point, so I would keep that in mind. I know this because a collector confronted him about it at NYCC. I was going to order one of those $1250 jobs, but maybe not after hearing that.

steranko is over a year overdue on his commissions at this point, so I would keep that in mind. I know this because a collector confronted him about it at NYCC. I was going to order one of those $1250 jobs, but maybe not after hearing that.

:eek: maybe I'd think twice then. I really would like to get romita sr more anyways. I love his cap#76

That explains why at Pittsburgh - in September, Jim told people he was not taking commissions.

I got mine earlier this year, and it was only a 2-3 month wait. And he was great with communication. For me, it was well worth his asking price.

That explains why at Pittsburgh - in September, Jim told people he was not taking commissions.

I got mine earlier this year, and it was only a 2-3 month wait. And he was great with communication. For me, it was well worth his asking price.

Yeah I don't think I'll look for him unless I just get a SS book now :facepalm:

I'm new to collecting original art as my focus has always been the books themselves. The only piece I have is a panel page from Marvel comics presents from 90's with my favourite character the Sub-mariner.

But my question is back in the early 90's I enjoyed the batman the cult series.

And about 4 years ago I had the opportunity to buy the 4 painted covers by Bernie Wrightson off a past comic dealer. He had bought them just after the Batman craze of the first movie. The covers came with signed paper identifying them from the artist at the time. I did decline as the cost for the 4 covers was 7k. Would this had been a reasonable price ? I did like the cover artwork. And I know the owner still has the artwork still.

You are saying someone offered to sell you 4 of the painted covers from Batman: The Cult for 7K total?

That sounds like a good deal. Except I know someone has at least 2 of them, and he got them way more than 4 years ago. So I either misunderstood which covers you are talking about, or you were not offered the original covers.

Malvin

They were the 4 original painted covers from the batman the cult series. The dealer who bought them in 1990 had a shop in Brisbane at the time. And it was around this time he had them in his shop for show. He sold the shop about 10 years ago but still had them. It may have been longer then 4 years ago when I had the opportunity to buy them. If you know someone that has 2 covers I may have to find out the guy who offered the covers to me still has them. I know at the time he had signed documentation that they were the original. Yes the price he wanted was 7 k for the 4. At the time I was contemplating in going halves with another local comic shop dealer.