• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Hey, first post here after 7 years (i think!).

I bought a Spider-Man sketch by J. Scott Campbell which another board member was kind enough to sell me as a favor.

I was just wondering where i could get a mylar and fullback to store it in? I'm not interested in framing it. The dimensions are 9" x 12". Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Lots of different places sell different sizes of mylar. Try BCE mylar or e-gerber they might not have the exact size but something will work.

Malvin

This is my first time posting here, but I may have something useful to add. I've found the following to be a good/economical option if you don't need museum glass frames, and don't want to be stuck with the cheap plexiglass in a lot of the lower end frames.

Frame, 18x24:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HASC5A/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Comes with thin/cheap plexiglass)

1x$12.76

Mat, 18x24 with 11x17 display area:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00406184W/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x$8.79

Acid free backing boards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NS4HQY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2xboards, $21.89

Custom cut glass, 18x24:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_20771-405-11824_0__?productId=3121155

1 piece $6.90

Tutorial on photo corners(use acid free paper and tape for these):

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2008/01/15/customize-your-scrapbook-with-handmade-photo-corners/

This particular tutorial show the corners as part of the final display, but you can trim them not to show)

I hope this was helpful, I've found it to be a good way to cheaply mat and frame my pieces. Sorry there are no pics included, but I'm slacking off at the office rather than home.

Hi,

Newbie question, when you frame your cover original art with its published cover, do you take only the published cover (cut it out), or you put the whole comic book on the frame ?

Thanks

I haven't framed my OA with original cover yet, but if/when I do I will put the entire book in the frame. 2c

Has anyone ever done this....

I have a bunch of commisions and sketches from artists I really like (George Perez, Neal Adams, Yanick Paquette, John Byrne, etc).

They are all of Daredevil as I asked them to do me a DD in their interpretation.

I want to go to a custom framing place and get all of them framed together in one giant frame. It's going to be several feet by several feet.

Any examples out there?

Hi,

Newbie question, when you frame your cover original art with its published cover, do you take only the published cover (cut it out), or you put the whole comic book on the frame ?

Thanks

I haven't framed my OA with original cover yet, but if/when I do I will put the entire book in the frame. 2c

Thank you for the reply, but wouldn't it look unbalance with their thickness difference ?

Hi,

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, but wouldn't it look unbalance with their thickness difference ?

Well, I'm not really an expert on this, but I believe if you are using mats that the thickness difference would be minimal. Perhaps one of the artists or more experienced here can chime in on this. If you are taking it to a framing shop to have done they'll be able to tell you as well. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I have a bunch of commisions and sketches from artists I really like (George Perez, Neal Adams, Yanick Paquette, John Byrne, etc).

They are all of Daredevil as I asked them to do me a DD in their interpretation.

I want to go to a custom framing place and get all of them framed together in one giant frame. It's going to be several feet by several feet.

Any examples out there?

I'm not aware of any such examples. There are 2 things to watch out for when doing this however:

1. If markers or similar pens were used, I wouldn't frame it, otherwise it would fade.

2. Something that big sounds like a really expensive frame job, much more expensive than framing the individual pieces.

Malvin

Any examples out there?

I'm not aware of any such examples. There are 2 things to watch out for when doing this however:

1. If markers or similar pens were used, I wouldn't frame it, otherwise it would fade.

2. Something that big sounds like a really expensive frame job, much more expensive than framing the individual pieces.

Malvin

Malvin,

Thanks for the reply. I know it's going to be really expensive. I saw someone do this with ZZ top stuff. Photos, autographs, guitar pics, drum sticks, lyric sheets, huge ZZ top logo, etc. It was probably like 4 feet by 3.5 feet. It was outstanding!

I know a cusom frame spot. I know it's probably in the thousands... I'll go for a quote. I know they have UV protection as well so I'd probably add that on. Won't be cheap but I know it would look outstanding. These guys do insane work!

Malvin,

Thanks for the reply. I know it's going to be really expensive. I saw someone do this with ZZ top stuff. Photos, autographs, guitar pics, drum sticks, lyric sheets, huge ZZ top logo, etc. It was probably like 4 feet by 3.5 feet. It was outstanding!

I know a cusom frame spot. I know it's probably in the thousands... I'll go for a quote. I know they have UV protection as well so I'd probably add that on. Won't be cheap but I know it would look outstanding. These guys do insane work!

OK good luck then! Just remember that UV protection will not help if markers were used to draw the sketch. They will fade when expose to light, even behind UV glass.

Malvin

Quoted from Apirl 23, 2012:

I've got a question: I purchased an original cover via Paypal through an art rep and the OA had to come from Italy - I have not recieved it. The art rep is someone I have dealt with before, and very communicative. I have no reason to believe there is anything shady or underhanded going on.

However, I am approaching my 45 days on Paypal - do I just cross my fingers hoping the art shows up and assume the art rep will make it right should something happen?

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

Thanks - I am actually pretty confident everything will be fine - I was just hoping to get some opinions from seasoned OA buyers.

It's been another month since I was last told it was "on it's way". Should I be getting nervous yet? Or is this a normal timeframe for art coming via Europe? Again, just looking for opinions and observations - not cold, hard fact. I've sent an email to the dealer politely asking for an update - but I am curious to how long is too long before I escalate my requests to have my purchased product delivered or money refunded.

I've got a question: I purchased an original cover via Paypal through an art rep and the OA had to come from Italy - I have not recieved it. The art rep is someone I have dealt with before, and very communicative. I have no reason to believe there is anything shady or underhanded going on.

However, I am approaching my 45 days on Paypal - do I just cross my fingers hoping the art shows up and assume the art rep will make it right should something happen?

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

Thanks - I am actually pretty confident everything will be fine - I was just hoping to get some opinions from seasoned OA buyers.

It's been another month since I was last told it was "on it's way". Should I be getting nervous yet? Or is this a normal timeframe for art coming via Europe? Again, just looking for opinions and observations - not cold, hard fact. I've sent an email to the dealer politely asking for an update - but I am curious to how long is too long before I escalate my requests to have my purchased product delivered or money refunded.

I don't know if this helps you or not. I recently purchased a piece of OA that was being shipped from Belgium to the east coast of the US. I purchased on April 5 and it arrived on May 6.

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

I don't know if this helps you or not. I recently purchased a piece of OA that was being shipped from Belgium to the east coast of the US. I purchased on April 5 and it arrived on May 6.

I figured a month would be an acceptable amount of time, but I ordered the art March 21st, and April 23rd I was told it was en route to the dealer. Now, May 21, I'm starting to get concerned with where the piece is.

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

I figured a month would be an acceptable amount of time, but I ordered the art March 21st, and April 23rd I was told it was en route to the dealer. Now, May 21, I'm starting to get concerned with where the piece is.

Sigh.. and I said if it was me, I would wait too.

The paypal chargeback window has passed, so if it was me again, and polite emails aren't going anywhere, then my emails would be less polite and eventually I would out them.

Malvin

If it was me, yes.

Malvin

Sigh.. and I said if it was me, I would wait too.

The paypal chargeback window has passed, so if it was me again, and polite emails aren't going anywhere, then my emails would be less polite and eventually I would out them.

Malvin

Hey Malvin, thanks for chiming in - I am always thankful for your advice. Interestingly enough - this seller normally emails me back within an hour of my email. Now, it's been a full day since my previous email.

I figure that if I don't have any communication by Monday, I'll be calling Paypal to see if there is anything I can do (even though I'm past the 45-day window). I have several emails of him telling me to keep waiting, hopefully those might be worth something to a CSR. But, if not - then I'll have to escalate it and see if something can get resolved. Again, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that because I think my seller is intending to follow through - I'm just surprised at the length of time.

Update:

Artwork finally arrived. However, not without one last stressful issue. The Delivery Confirmation information would not display 4 days after seller shipped the artwork, and I had to continue pressing the issue.

Normally, I would chalk that up as USPS happenstance, but considering I had nearly 15 packages going to-and-fro from my business, all with daily updated DC information - this one, singular package that I have had delays with for months seemed suspect.

But, in the end, it showed up - magnificent as ever. Seller was apologetic it took so long, he didn't get defensive or snarky and tossed in a couple freebie prints. I'm glad he came through because I like dealing with him.

I definitely learned a valuable lesson ordering art from foreign artists: get the how/when shipping details before you pay.