• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Is it considered bad form to contact people about art labeled NFS?

I don't see a problem doing so. It doesn't bother me when I get such requests (no harm listening) . . . and I've sometimes ended-up selling!

Nothing ventured . . .

That's good to hear - sometimes I feel bad about cold calling someone who says NFS...

I think it all depends on how you make the request.

When I do it, I usually write something along the lines of: "I know your art says NFS, but if you ever change your mind, please let me know." and I drop a comment on the piece and add it to my favorites, so the owner can easily find me again in the future.

It didn't work for me so far, but I keep hope. :wishluck:

I also got a similar request. I didn't sell the art, but gave advice to the person on how to find a similar one (it was a not very famous indie artist).

I actually got quite flattered that someone was interested on my art.

Of course, for collectors of exceptional pieces who receive the kind of requests daily, I can understand this could be a bit annoying.

Is it considered bad form to contact people about art labeled NFS?

I don't see a problem doing so. It doesn't bother me when I get such requests (no harm listening) . . . and I've sometimes ended-up selling!

Nothing ventured . . .

That's good to hear - sometimes I feel bad about cold calling someone who says NFS...

I think it all depends on how you make the request.

When I do it, I usually write something along the lines of: "I know your art says NFS, but if you ever change your mind, please let me know." and I drop a comment on the piece and add it to my favorites, so the owner can easily find me again in the future.

It didn't work for me so far, but I keep hope. :wishluck:

I also got a similar request. I didn't sell the art, but gave advice to the person on how to find a similar one (it was a not very famous indie artist).

I actually got quite flattered that someone was interested on my art.

Of course, for collectors of exceptional pieces who receive the kind of requests daily, I can understand this could be a bit annoying.

I've done this and wound up buying the page later, and also found buyers for my stuff when it came time to sell.

But, if you're doing this, you have to be willing to pay up when the time comes. Asking about someone's NFS art and then looking for it on the cheap is not going to work very often.

The other tactic I've found works is asking if they have any other pages like that one in their collections they'd be willing to part with. A lot of people don't put everything up on CAF and most people have more than 1 example of what they put in the gallery. Maybe they'd be willing to sell you their 2nd favorite page by that artist....

But, if you're doing this, you have to be willing to pay up when the time comes. Asking about someone's NFS art and then looking for it on the cheap is not going to work very often.

The other tactic I've found works is asking if they have any other pages like that one in their collections they'd be willing to part with. A lot of people don't put everything up on CAF and most people have more than 1 example of what they put in the gallery. Maybe they'd be willing to sell you their 2nd favorite page by that artist....

When I do this, I know I won't get the art cheap, and I am not looking for it. But It doesn't mean I am willing to pay 10X the market value either (In this case, I would probably try a direct offer).

Anyway, I never arrived to the negociation point yet as the items I was looking at were really NFS.

Thank you for the advice of asking if they have another piece they are willing to part with. That's a good idea I didn't think of.

How do you ship OA? I've never shipped OA before.

What's the best way to package OA for shipping? In terms of cost to me and the most protection I can provide?

Thanks!

sandwiched between something that wont easily bend. Ive gotten art shipped to me in between masonite, thick foam core,and also cardboard & then boxed.

Next trash day, keep your eyes peeled for a plasma TV box. That is some thick cardboard and free. Some cheapskate dealers will actually get 100% shipping supplies from usps, Yes a multitude of swiped boxes for my $1000+ art leaves such an image.

Edited by Junkdrawer

What's the best way to package OA for shipping? In terms of cost to me and the most protection I can provide?

Thanks!

sandwiched between something that wont easily bend. Ive gotten art shipped to me in between masonite, thick foam core,and also cardboard & then boxed.

Next trash day, keep your eyes peeled for a plasma TV box. That is some thick cardboard and free. Some cheapskate dealers will actually get 100% shipping supplies from usps, Yes a multitude of swiped boxes for my $1000+ art leaves such an image.

The best one I've ever received was a commission piece form an artist sandwiched between two torn out sketch book covers, with a piece of cut hardwood flooring taped to one side, then placed in an envelope. His art rep (who is a member on these boards) would probably be mortified.

Thanks!

The best one I've ever received was a commission piece form an artist sandwiched between two torn out sketch book covers, with a piece of cut hardwood flooring taped to one side, then placed in an envelope. His art rep (who is a member on these boards) would probably be mortified.

Maybe his tactic was to get you to buy enough art that you could re-do your living room floor?

Edited by Pete Marino

Thanks!

Maybe his tactic was to get you to buy enough art that you could re-do your living room floor?

:roflmao:

Next trash day, keep your eyes peeled for a plasma TV box. That is some thick cardboard and free.

+1

I keep a couple boxes stored away on the off-chance I sell a piece of OA. Even if you're not looking to sell, grabbing some good shipping materials ahead of time makes it less stressful when it comes time to box something up, especially when you are trying to keep the cost of shipping down.

I try to save materiels that are shipped with art I purchase. From Mylar sleeves to extra boxes that were shipped as protection. A good example is Anthony's using USPS shipping boxes for protection/stability when he ships. There are sometimes two or three unused boxes that can be used for storage, shipping etc. I do prefer dealers to ship with something a little more sturdy than cardboard. I am even willing to pay a little extra for shipping if it is done correctly.

I just saw a piece that I'm interested in, but the ordering process seems unnecessarily complicated and they don't take PayPal. Wonder how many sales they lose out on because of this.

Maybe it's because I'm in lazy Sunday mode. lol

I just saw a piece that I'm interested in, but the ordering process seems unnecessarily complicated and they don't take PayPal. Wonder how many sales they lose out on because of this.

I take it, it's the Artist's Choice?

He has great art and an old-school way of doing things. But it's worth it!

(worship) You're good.

(worship) You're good.

Artist's Choice is great to deal with. I'd go for it.

(worship) You're good.

Artist's Choice is great to deal with. I'd go for it.

Thanks for the push guys.

:gossip: I'm still not going to do it today though, soooo lazy