• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

It takes a lot of time and connections.

Start with the CAF's search function for posted pages.

Check the dealers - there are lots and lots. There is a list of dealers on CGC OA board and the Dragonberry site has a list as well. The CAF site will search the inventories of several dealers for you as well.

There is a thread on these boards where people post pages that they want. It might help.

Finally, you should get more involved with the comic book OA community.

The three main points of Internet contact are:

The main points of physical contact are probably:

Advice please. There is a page from a modern Marvel comic that I would love to track down. This seems like finding a needle in a haystack, to me. I have never mounted a hunt for a page before. Any guidance?

I did some searching on a few sites for the page with no luck. I did find a few NFS pages from the same book on CAF, but thats it. The page is from Skaar: Son of Hulk #10 and was penciled by Ron Lim.

I'd ask the owners of the pages from the same issue, politely, if they would mind telling you where they got them. Explain you are looking for a page from the same issue and I am sure at least one will point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Thanks for the excellent advice. I learned that I was mistaken about the issue. I guess its easy to screw up when you are working from a trade instead of the actual book. Its actually a page penciled by Dan Panosian. Still working on it, but I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I learned that I was mistaken about the issue. I guess its easy to screw up when you are working from a trade instead of the actual book. Its actually a page penciled by Dan Panosian. Still working on it, but I'm not in a hurry.

maybe post a cellphone pic of the page you're looking for?

I have a few pages from Skaar #10 by Lim. I got em on ebay.

Two question, both of which may sound silly...

First, when you look at a comic book these days, they often seem to no longer include page numbers like they did years ago. I am after a page from a book like this (no page numbers) and when I count pages to determine the page number, I am assuming that I count the first inside title/splash as page one and in sequence from there for ALL other pages. Is this correct or is the title/splash not page one AND are the advert pages counted?

Second, I may have located a page I am after, but have been told it is on vellum. I have done some internet research on vellum, but information on it seems varied and not specific. Any insight?

You folks are incredible. Thanks in advance.

ordering from a list with no scans and counting page numbers use to be fun :)

But there will always be confusion. There is no consistent way. If scans cannot be obtained, be sure to describe some panels to make sure you are getting the right page.

I don't have a lot of experience with vellum. Think of it as a translucent medium that it is drawn on, that is more likely to have long term archival issues.

Malvin

I have a simple question I wanted to ask.

Can any boardies point me to dealers who would have lower end Kirby pages for sale? IE, 4 figures as opposed to 5 or above.

I have googled, just looking for dealer recommendations as this is a little outside my usual buying area.

ordering from a list with no scans and counting page numbers use to be fun :)

But there will always be confusion. There is no consistent way. If scans cannot be obtained, be sure to describe some panels to make sure you are getting the right page.

Or take a cell phone pic and text/email it to the seller (or vice versa, I suppose) or am I missing something?

Can any boardies point me to dealers who would have lower end Kirby pages for sale? IE, 4 figures as opposed to 5 or above.

Do searches on CAF and occasionally check Romitaman, Anthony Snyder, Scott Eder and (maybe) Tri-State...four figure Kirby will pop up at any time and may even sit for a bit...but be prepared for it to be stuff you'll probably have a hard time really liking. Later Kamandi, Jimmy Olsen with absolutely nothing happening on the page, Captain America (2nd run) with talking heads or the Falcon looking at himself in the mirror (heh heh), Destroyer Duck, that kind of stuff. The kind of Kirby that makes you sweat...even just a bit...pretty much begins at $10k and goes to $250k. Just the way it is these days.

Have you considered checking whether the artist still has the page? Panosian is repped by Jason at Essential Sequential.

http://www.essentialsequential.com/

Do searches on CAF and occasionally check Romitaman, Anthony Snyder, Scott Eder and (maybe) Tri-State...four figure Kirby will pop up at any time and may even sit for a bit...but be prepared for it to be stuff you'll probably have a hard time really liking. Later Kamandi, Jimmy Olsen with absolutely nothing happening on the page, Captain America (2nd run) with talking heads or the Falcon looking at himself in the mirror (heh heh), Destroyer Duck, that kind of stuff. The kind of Kirby that makes you sweat...even just a bit...pretty much begins at $10k and goes to $250k. Just the way it is these days.

I think wills comic art page had a few reasonable and decent pages......not sure if they are still there

I have a simple question I wanted to ask.

I have googled, just looking for dealer recommendations as this is a little outside my usual buying area.

http://www.kochcomicart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1989&ArtistId=921&From=Search

Hey there, so I went to a website that is selling a piece that I am interested in but they have two version of the same piece, a pencil ver. (By the actual artist) and a inked ver (by the inkier who inked it on a separate board. . My question is what would be better to own, the pencil version or the inked version?

Hey there, so I went to a website that is selling a piece that I am interested in but they have two version of the same piece, a pencil ver. (By the actual artist) and a inked ver (by the inkier who inked it on a separate board. . My question is what would be better to own, the pencil version or the inked version?

Pencil is usually the more desirable piece as it is the original image that hasn't been changed by the inker.

My goodness this board is amazing. Read the first 6 pages of this thread – worth reading the other 44 or is it more of the same?

So helpful!

My advice would be, if you're just getting into it, maybe your first purchase should be something smaller than the Batman cover for 25K. ;)

Unless you've got it like that. 25K is an awful big purchase, let alone first purchase.

Definitely not my first purchase :) Just new to the boards and found the information here helpful, as it's reaffirmed some of my current practices and has given me new ones to adhere to.

(thumbs u

Definitely not my first purchase :) Just new to the boards and found the information here helpful, as it's reaffirmed some of my current practices and has given me new ones to adhere to.

So...show us what you got! :grin: