• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

What is the general opinion on restored art that has title, logos and word balloons added to the original or with an overlay? Seems more common for originals not to have those now due to computers.

Thanks for awesome thread!

Edited by Zimzam

I think there are 2 separate questions

1. If the actual art is restored, it really depends on what the restoration is

2. Adding overlays for word balloons and title logos is fine and could even enhance the piece, it doesn't alter the original piece and makes it more presentable.

Malvin

The first post's advice is terrible and clich'e.

Always "go for the gold".

Obtain artwork that the artist is famous for, then buy the best example you can.

Simple (example)

Todd Mcfarlane = Spider-Man

Neal Adams = Batman

Bernie Wrightson = Swamp Thing

Frank Miller = Daredevil

You get the idea. The buy the best shot of that character you can afford, If you can't afford a splash, go for a half splash or a great panel page with excellent shots of that character. (is he in every panel? Can you see his face? )

Yes it's expensive, But always buy quality and you can't go wrong. Who the inker is also matters. No one else should be inking Mcfarlane and no one else should be inking Jim Lee except Scott Williams. You get the idea.

Another answer i was looking for!

I buy a lot of stuff from SplashPage art-mostly Sean Phillips-has a range of prices depending on what you want-from $75 for like some batgirl pages to $300 for Criminal or Incognito. Sometimes eBay has deals if no one's paying attention-got an Adlard page for $35. Also snagged a Swan/Anderson Superman page from Romitaman for $200.

I'm pretty good at spotting forgeries too if you're looking at convention sketches etc. I'd be happy to give free analysis.

Is it normal to have an Artist/Inker sign the original art on front page? Will that devalue the piece? Any advice is appreciated as I am new to this side of collecting!

it is normal and they usually sign at the bottom but it has no effect on value-the original page speaks for itself.

ps i sure kick myself for not buying all the original swan, kirby, steranko, barry smith etc pages at cons in the 80's for like $50 a page.....$5,000-$20,000 now....original art is the only investment that never falls in value and shoots up fairly dramatically over a 30 year span.....

Is it normal to have an Artist/Inker sign the original art on front page? Will that devalue the piece? Any advice is appreciated as I am new to this side of collecting!

if they write a personal message however that will increase the value-the Adlard WD page I scooped up cheap has a paragraph on the back to the person he gave the page to-lucky for me the ebay seller didn't put that in the listing! It was a nice surprise when i received it.

if they write a personal message however that will increase the value-the Adlard WD page I scooped up cheap has a paragraph on the back to the person he gave the page to-lucky for me the ebay seller didn't put that in the listing! It was a nice surprise when i received it.

100% disagree. The last thing I want on a page I purchase is "Happy Birthday Larry"

100% disagree. The last thing I want on a page I purchase is "Happy Birthday Larry"

well this was on the back and no 'happy birthday'-it was a note explaining some art decisions he had made on the page....i guess it depends on the collector but i definitely value it more as an insight into the artist and thus a piece of history.

I'm ok with notes explaining art decisions and I absolutely LOVE any blue pencil editorial notes on pre-modern OA (gives the pages a 'historical document' feel) but I agree with Pete - no personalized notes.

I'm ok with notes explaining art decisions and I absolutely LOVE any blue pencil editorial notes on pre-modern OA (gives the pages a 'historical document' feel) but I agree with Pete - no personalized notes.

I'm burning this piece of immediately!

ps i have the HUGE Mad artist's edition reproduced from the original pages and it is awesome! actual size pages showing every mark and notation so well photographed it looks like the real page!! lot of fun looking through that baby.

BBVLo0hCIAAAM3z.jpg

Tom & Penny seem to think so :boo:

Tom & Penny seem to think so :boo:

dang i already burned that page