• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

So this is something I've always been confused about. If there is one page that is in pencils only, is there another piece that has been inked?

Most likely, but there are exceptions.

Some pages are sent directly to colorists and are not inked. IIRC, the Nathaniel Dusk pages by Gene Colan were shot from pencils and then colored.

I have one example of the pencil/ink pair. The story of how I got both is somewhat interesting and covered in the description. Just click the image.

Hdr,%20Daniel%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(Triptych,%20smaller)%20-%20LSH%20(2010)%208%20Page%2026.jpg

But what if there are inked pages and penciled pages from the same book of the same artist. Are those pages that are just penciled never inked and just colored? I don't understand why some pages would just be penciled and the others inked. Unless both pieces would exist

Edited by Lucid Enigma

The combinations that I know of are:

• pencils, inks, letters on same page, colorist works on photocopy (Traditional)
  • pencils and inks on board, letters and colors done on computer (most everything since the 90s)
  • pencils on board, inks on blue-line copy of pencils, letters and colors on computer (like my LSH example)
  • pencils on board, everything else digital and maybe no inks (like Nathaniel Dusk)
  • all digital (like Saga)
  • all digital except covers/splashes/key scenes where the OA might have after market value

I think that's the complete list. Are you seeing something different?

Edited by alxjhnsn

• pencils, inks, letters on same page, colorist works on photocopy (Traditional)
  • pencils and inks on board, letters and colors done on computer (most everything since the 90s)
  • pencils on board, inks on blue-line copy of pencils, letters and colors on computer (like my LSH example)
  • pencils on board, everything else digital and maybe no inks (like Nathaniel Dusk)
  • all digital except covers/splashes/key scenes where the OA might have after market value

He is seeing your 3rd bullet. So in that scenario there are 2.

Malvin

I am probably talking about your third bullet. However, I initially thought I was looking at your 2nd bullet. But I guess there would be two pieces in my scenario. I was just wondering if they just did pencils for certain pages that were published in the same book for a specific reason. Because every page for this certain issue was inked except for maybe 3-5 pages, at least from what I've seen out there in collections and for sale. But I have not seen a pair of one specific page. I've only seen it inked or penciled

I am probably talking about your third bullet. However, I initially thought I was looking at your 2nd bullet. But I guess there would be two pieces in my scenario. I was just wondering if they just did pencils for certain pages that were published in the same book for a specific reason. Because every page for this certain issue was inked except for maybe 3-5 pages, at least from what I've seen out there in collections and for sale. But I have not seen a pair of one specific page. I've only seen it inked or penciled

Ah, ok, there can be rare cases where some pages are pencil only while others are ink. Reasons include, but not limited to:

1. They ran out of time (or by choice) and digitally inked a few pages

2. They wanted a different "look" for the pencil pages

Malvin

Im curious...Are you inquiring about pages offered by Spencer at The Artist Choice?

Ah, ok, there can be rare cases where some pages are pencil only while others are ink. Reasons include, but not limited to:

1. They ran out of time (or by choice) and digitally inked a few pages

2. They wanted a different "look" for the pencil pages

Malvin

Oh, ok. Thanks!

Im curious...Are you inquiring about pages offered by Spencer at The Artist Choice?

You got it. Why?

You got it. Why?

I understand now that your questions were not in regards to general knowledge of OA collecting, but pertaining to specific art pieces you have an interest in. And Since you haven't mentioned the books in question, I'm assuming you don't want anybody else to know what you are after as you take advantage of the very popular Christmas Sale. If that's the case, I just wanted to say that Spencer is a good guy and he will be able to clear up any specific concerns you might have with the pieces you have in mind as it can be a bit harder to give an exact reason why some pages are pencils only while others are ink without knowing the book/artist that you are asking about. No worries, Spencer will help you out. Good Luck on the buy. :/

My question revolves around how one really goes about looking for Art. I am new to this and I have tried to give myself a limited window of things to look for (Wonder Woman #178-203, Speedball covers, etc). Is this simply being too optimistic? I have been looking for a year or so but they have not come up. Am I being unrealistic?

My question revolves around how one really goes about looking for Art. I am new to this and I have tried to give myself a limited window of things to look for (Wonder Woman #178-203, Speedball covers, etc). Is this simply being too optimistic? I have been looking for a year or so but they have not come up. Am I being unrealistic?

You collect what you want to collect. You shouldn't really change it just because you can't find the art (unless you really changed your desires and want other art) , and I don't know those ares so I don't know if those art are available, locked away, destroyed in a fire etc.

There is no magic formula to look, but the most common are ebay, CAF and dealer sites.

Malvin

I waited 16 years to acquire the right McFarlane Spider Man cover. A year is not a very long time. Hang in there.

I waited 16 years to acquire the right McFarlane Spider Man cover. A year is not a very long time. Hang in there.

Thanks to those that gave advice. I really do like the challenge, it is the unknowing if the pieces even exist that gets a bit frustrating.

Even as I type this I know it's a stupid question because there are too many variables, but I'll ask anyways.

Do two page splashes that make one big image really bump up the price of a piece ?

Edited by Hado

yes

there used to be basic formulas for this type of thing but now it is more artist, character,story rather than strictly cover, panel, splash, double splash.

but yes, one big image is more money more often than not