• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I managed to secure my first double page spread, it'll probably be a good while before I get it framed (a lot of things in the queue ahead of it, quite behind on getting stuff framed lol, every time I'm about to go ahead and get some stuff framed I find more art I'd rather spend the money on)

So wanted to ask how people like to store their double page art when keeping them in portfolios. Do you keep the pages together and fold them to fit in one portfolio slot, or do you split them and put each page next to each other in separate portfolio slots?

On 9/29/2022 at 9:26 AM, JC25427N said:

Hey Guys,

I managed to secure my first double page spread, it'll probably be a good while before I get it framed (a lot of things in the queue ahead of it, quite behind on getting stuff framed lol, every time I'm about to go ahead and get some stuff framed I find more art I'd rather spend the money on)

So wanted to ask how people like to store their double page art when keeping them in portfolios. Do you keep the pages together and fold them to fit in one portfolio slot, or do you split them and put each page next to each other in separate portfolio slots?

Congrats on your DPS! I don't have a portfolio for my art, but I figured I'd give a tip on finding framing for OA that doesn't break the bank (a little over $5 per frame).

I use these snap frames from wal-mart. They are clean, easy to load artwork in and look great on the wall - and they are super, super cheap. I've used these frames for 15+ years and they are a great bargain. I would rather spend $150 on a piece of art than a frame - so I hear you on the framing cost. Here's a picture of a piece in one of those frames, you can see they look clean when you place them close together.

I haven't put up my DPS yet in the frame, but I think I can get them pretty close together to see the whole scene as one - I'll try to remember to post that picture when I get around to putting it up.

image0.thumb.jpeg.ea6718a24ed2b858ce1b175c73715c06.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, JC25427N said:

Hey Guys,

DPS come in two categories: Those already taped together, and not. For those taped together, I put them in a single slot on the right hand page of a 18x24 Itoya portfolio, unless framing is planned. For those not taped together, I put them on facing pages of a 11x17 portfolio. I would not put them in a single slot, since then you can't see the piece as a whole without removing them.

The only exception is one Richard Case DPS larger than 18x24; I had to fold it along the page divide and put it in a smaller portfolio, removing the liner sheet so that both pages can be seen, albeit not at once.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:

(some) Monoprints are the new digital originals. Artists are desperate to achieve original art valuation off of a digital print, that's been going on for 20 years. Remarking your monos? Great idea. Selling them in different sizes as 1/1? Bad idea. Taking the same file that you created your ever-so-special-one-of-a-kind monoprint and making smaller copies to sell at shows? That's going to hurt the idea in the long run.

Since you are a professional, I was wondering what you consider a “suitable”  Remarque, both in terms of size and location, since they can apparently run from little more than a doodle and signature on the front to a sketch on the back, and still be called a Remarque. Personally, what I would like to see, on the front, is a small 3-5 minute sketch placed unobtrusively on the front, if possible. I would rather that it interfere a little with the image on the front than have it put on the back so it can be displayed with the printed image. But that’s just me; I still haven’t taken that step and I want to be clear with my directions if I do. Are there any standards for Remarking that you know of or have used? 

On 9/30/2022 at 5:09 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Since you are a professional, I was wondering what you consider a “suitable”  Remarque, both in terms of size and location, since they can apparently run from little more than a doodle and signature on the front to a sketch on the back, and still be called a Remarque. Personally, what I would like to see, on the front, is a small 3-5 minute sketch placed unobtrusively on the front, if possible. I would rather that it interfere a little with the image on the front than have it put on the back so it can be displayed with the printed image. But that’s just me; I still haven’t taken that step and I want to be clear with my directions if I do. Are there any standards for Remarking that you know of or have used? 

I don't have a lot of knowledge on remarques on art. The ones I've seen up-close have been in the margin of a limited print (which usually leaves 2-3" of footer space to give the artist room to sign and number), and in some cases - I've seen remarques drawn on the matboard of a framed print. There is a local artist here that is well-known to do remarques and they look really good - because he probably spends 10-15 minutes drawing them, so it includes some quick sketching, light shading/hatching, etc. I don't know how much he charges for a remarque and I'm not sure what other's charge.

I agree with you putting it on the front - it's unique and you want to show it off. I've seen a Thomas Kinkade canvas print with a signature and drawing on the back, but that's boring. Only you and the moving company would probably ever see it.

From the artist perspective - I'd be nervous drawing a sketch on a piece of someone's art, because I've never done that one time, I don't think.

I've never been much of a quick sketcher, I generally lay stuff out and then laboriously work on putting the final together - my ability to do a fast sketch isn't that great. I can sketch, but a sketch that would take one artist 10 minutes might take me 30. I also don't like being under-the-gun like that. lol I'd only been put to that test once, where I had the fortunate happenstance to meet the horror movie actor Larry Fessenden at a bar in NYC with a mutual friend - he says "So you're an artist, huh? Draw me something." Larry looks a lot like Jack Nicholson - so I was able to whip out a pretty decent sketch of Jack Nicholson that looked like him lol

The point I'm finally getting to is that the quality of your remarque might have a direct correlation to how often the artist does it. If he's an old hand at it, you'll probably end up with a nice drawing. If they aren't accustomed to doing it often - you might end up with a loose doodle. I'm not sure if a person is able to research how little/often an artist does those - but it may be worth asking around beforehand, or even seeing some other examples?

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 2/23/2020 at 1:07 PM, NC101 said:

I received a page in the mail that has a large crease through it (post office's fault), I was wondering if anybody has any advice for flattening it? Everything I can find on google seems to recommend ironing it, which makes me a little nervous.

This just happened to me on a pin-up by one of my favorite. USPS's fault. Did you happen to try ironing? Or just leave it pressed in an Itoya...?

On 10/30/2022 at 2:36 AM, Noob19 said:

This just happened to me on a pin-up by one of my favorite. USPS's fault. Did you happen to try ironing? Or just leave it pressed in an Itoya...?

I would imagine you could also press this out like a comic, as long as the press was large enough to accommodate an 11x17 sheet. Perhaps by steaming only the backside to loosen the fibers - maybe a presser could do it?

On 11/3/2022 at 1:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I would imagine you could also press this out like a comic, as long as the press was large enough to accommodate an 11x17 sheet. Perhaps by steaming only the backside to loosen the fibers - maybe a presser could do it?

When i had a problem similar to this, i took it to my local framer's that i became friendly with.  They had a giant hot press and took care of it for me.

-Pete

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get mylar for A4 to 9x12 sized art? I was thinking of just buying magazine sized mylites from e-gerber and cutting off the flaps, but wanted to ask if anyone else had ideas. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 11/8/2022 at 9:38 AM, Webhead2018 said:

Have you tried any other suppliers like bcw, bags unlimited and so forth. To see if they have the sleeves in sizes your looking for.

Yeah, BU has these A4 L-Sleeve Mylars, but I was hoping to get something a bit bigger to use for both A4 and actual 9x12 pieces. Plus I'm not sure how I feel about the L-Sleeve mylars, never tried them before. Aside from that, they also have magazine size mylars (about 10 x 13) that should work fine, but they have the flap, so I'd have to cut the flaps in that case too anyway. Was hoping someone who mylar'd their own smaller art knew of a retailer that had something that would be perfect. 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:58 AM, RBerman said:

What is a good solution for carrying portfolios? Preferably something that could even hold a 18x24, and/or something that can be slung on the back.

I have been looking at Itoya portfolios, and they do make them for 18x24 and 24x36. They are quite popular, I will be getting my first ones next week or so - and they made from archival material. Pretty reasonable on EBay.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:40 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah, BU has these A4 L-Sleeve Mylars, but I was hoping to get something a bit bigger to use for both A4 and actual 9x12 pieces. Plus I'm not sure how I feel about the L-Sleeve mylars, never tried them before. Aside from that, they also have magazine size mylars (about 10 x 13) that should work fine, but they have the flap, so I'd have to cut the flaps in that case too anyway. Was hoping someone who mylar'd their own smaller art knew of a retailer that had something that would be perfect. 

I have some leftover A4 L-sleeves - and have used them for a variety of things. The art can definitely slide out easy, but they are nice if you want something that looks clean and easy to handle.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:26 AM, JC25427N said:

Hey Guys,

I've done both. It just depends. If you split them, you want to make sure the art isn't harmed. Usually they are just held together with masking tape. And, I'd recommend putting split pages into the very middle of the portfolio so they lay flat roughly on the same plane. In other cases I decided to keep the page folded up and placed it -- one half showing -- in a single portfolio page. It just preference. 

A quick question or two or three...I understand that published pages by either DC or Marvel will be stamped on the back.

So, can a published page not have the stamp on the back?  If so, any reasons why wasn't it stamped (if anyone might know)????

I have seen pages for sale that do not have the stamp on the back and have avoided them even though I can see the exact art/page published in the comic.  Am i overreacting?

On 3/31/2023 at 6:43 AM, brownies8701 said:

A quick question or two or three...I understand that published pages by either DC or Marvel will be stamped on the back.

So, can a published page not have the stamp on the back?  If so, any reasons why wasn't it stamped (if anyone might know)????

I have seen pages for sale that do not have the stamp on the back and have avoided them even though I can see the exact art/page published in the comic.  Am i overreacting?

real published pages can definitely not be stamped in the back. Especially newer ones.

As for reasons, who knows.. they forgot? someone was sloppy? 

Malvin