• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

What is everyone's approach to "holy grails"?  For example, my holy grail is any one of the Hush covers, or several of the iconic pages/splashes that occur throughout the series (most notably "Kiss the Knight").  But seeing as how these pieces command six figures, I'd be happy with most any page from that iconic run.  My question to everyone is, when you find yourself in similar situations, do you prefer to continue to save up for the page you REALLY want, or do you settle for something that's still a grail, but not quite your holy grail?

On 6/18/2022 at 9:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

What is everyone's approach to "holy grails"?  For example, my holy grail is any one of the Hush covers, or several of the iconic pages/splashes that occur throughout the series (most notably "Kiss the Knight").  But seeing as how these pieces command six figures, I'd be happy with most any page from that iconic run.  My question to everyone is, when you find yourself in similar situations, do you prefer to continue to save up for the page you REALLY want, or do you settle for something that's still a grail, but not quite your holy grail?

The word "Grail" gets thrown around too much in our hobby, but it looks like you are close to using the right definition, which I loosely define as "the one piece that would make you content and stop collecting".  Even you list several alternatives (which leads to one of my answers) so it's not even one piece for you.

Another hobby friend said it best, "if you can get any one piece you want (but can't sell it for cash) what would it be?"

So ask yourself that.

Now most grails by definition are unattainable.  My answer to my friend was the McFarlane Hulk 340 cover.  But, even if it was for sale, I can't afford it.

I think the hobby is more than just one piece.  If I was given the chance to trade all my OA for that cover, I wouldn't.  Maybe it's just me but there is so much other comics (and the resulting OA) that I love that I wouldn't trade it all for one piece.

As you have noted, there are lots of substitutes out there.  If you really can't afford/attain a cover, there are alternatives that remind you of it that gives you joy (as you pointed out, iconic interiors, maybe Wizard type OA, etc)

Malvin

On 6/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, ExNihilo said:

If it were a true grail, it isn’t likely to remain for sale very long because it must be good. And, it isn’t likely to go on sale again so quickly. I would dig into savings, buy it, and if need be, not buy anything else for a few years. 
But, we are beginning to enter an economic downturn on fixed asset prices. So, if the price is really high for what you would expect, think about finding a new grail and move on. It’s just ink and pencil markings on paper.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:20 PM, malvin said:

The word "Grail" gets thrown around too much in our hobby, but it looks like you are close to using the right definition, which I loosely define as "the one piece that would make you content and stop collecting".  Even you list several alternatives (which leads to one of my answers) so it's not even one piece for you.

Another hobby friend said it best, "if you can get any one piece you want (but can't sell it for cash) what would it be?"

So ask yourself that.

Now most grails by definition are unattainable.  My answer to my friend was the McFarlane Hulk 340 cover.  But, even if it was for sale, I can't afford it.

I think the hobby is more than just one piece.  If I was given the chance to trade all my OA for that cover, I wouldn't.  Maybe it's just me but there is so much other comics (and the resulting OA) that I love that I wouldn't trade it all for one piece.

As you have noted, there are lots of substitutes out there.  If you really can't afford/attain a cover, there are alternatives that remind you of it that gives you joy (as you pointed out, iconic interiors, maybe Wizard type OA, etc)

Malvin

I agree. I'll take it a step further with the term. For me, the "grail" is something you can't buy, or has become lost and not likely to turn back up. I think in most people's minds, they adjust their own grail for their pocketbook. I don't think many people put that emotional connection into something they truly can't have or afford. The Mona Lisa is probably no one's grail.

I have a grail that I owned. Sold it. Spent years trying to find it again, once a year, I would offer 2, then 3, then 4X what the seller (through a broker) paid until my yearly emails went unanswered. I had developed a emotional connection with the art, spent time talking to the artist about it before he died, tried to get a comic company to publish it, took super high resolution photos of it for possible production (with the artist's blessing of course). I regretted it putting it up for auction, and then regretted not asking my friend to bid on it so I could just buy it back. I knew the minute I put it up with all my other OA that I would regret selling it. Within financial reason, I'd sell off or trade most of anything I own of value to obtain it, even if it cost me 10-15X what I sold it for. I will look at my wall and wonder if I will ever get it back again until the day I drop dead. No other piece of art or collectible fills the void this piece left behind.

That is a grail.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree. I'll take it a step further with the term. For me, the "grail" is something you can't buy, or has become lost and not likely to turn back up. I think in most people's minds, they adjust their own grail for their pocketbook. I don't think many people put that emotional connection into something they truly can't have or afford. The Mona Lisa is probably no one's grail.

I have a grail that I owned. Sold it. Spent years trying to find it again, once a year, I would offer 2, then 3, then 4X what the seller (through a broker) paid until my yearly emails went unanswered. I had developed a emotional connection with the art, spent time talking to the artist about it before he died, tried to get a comic company to publish it, took super high resolution photos of it for possible production (with the artist's blessing of course). I regretted it putting it up for auction, and then regretted not asking my friend to bid on it so I could just buy it back. I knew the minute I put it up with all my other OA that I would regret selling it. Within financial reason, I'd sell off or trade most of anything I own of value to obtain it, even if it cost me 10-15X what I sold it for. I will look at my wall and wonder if I will ever get it back again until the day I drop dead. No other piece of art or collectible fills the void this piece left behind.

That is a grail.

That’s not a grail. That’s an unhealthy obsession, like Lolita.

It’s all just stuff.

There's just a little more to it than that. I don't think it's an unhealthy obsession. I am a life-long artist. Developing connections with pieces of art that inspire creativity, unique thought and stylistic experimentation is not something that should be reduced to comparing it with an offhand comment about pedophilia (even if hyperbole is how people make points nowadays). Being saddened about giving up a specific piece of art that served to do all the things above is not "unhealthy". It's just merely a state of mind on a specific topic. Do I write poems about said piece of art being gone from my life? No. Did I set up a website featuring pictures of me and said artwork on travels and adventures? No. Did I set up a tribute Facebook page for this piece of artwork? No. Did I set up a "looking for, finder's fee paid" page on the message boards? I did do that. There are many more levels to traverse before it turns into an "unhealthy obsession".

For some people "stuff" is more than stuff. I'm an only child and I have no children, and for me - "stuff" takes on a different meaning because there are things in my life that are touchstones to memories or experiences that I value - things that are intrinsic to my life that other people would simply shrug their shoulders and go "Oh well, it's just stuff!" because they might have other ways to hold reminders of things of the past, or current states of mind. Siblings can do that for people. Children can do that for people. And "stuff" can do that for people. I have heirlooms from my family that will surely end up in Salvation Army once I'm dead - but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy looking at them, pondering their meaning, reminding me of who they came from and always wanting them on my bookshelf - and missing them if they are gone. "Stuff" can remind us of where we were, people we loved or admired, goals we've achieved, adventures we want to take, artwork we want to make and generally - offer a minor moment of escapism. 

If people thought "stuff" was just "stuff" they wouldn't be here. I enjoy being around people who have a passion for art in original form or in comics. The journey to find the grail is for the individual to take - can it be unhealthy? Sure. If you sell your grandma's dentures to pay for it, or you ripoff a non-profit for the money to buy it, yeah - that's probably unhealthy. Otherwise, I'd say there isn't much issue with the grail discussions here in this thread (although I haven't read the entire thread). 2c

On 7/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, Dr. Balls said:

There's just a little more to it than that. I don't think it's an unhealthy obsession. I am a life-long artist. Developing connections with pieces of art that inspire creativity, unique thought and stylistic experimentation is not something that should be reduced to comparing it with an offhand comment about pedophilia (even if hyperbole is how people make points nowadays). Being saddened about giving up a specific piece of art that served to do all the things above is not "unhealthy". It's just merely a state of mind on a specific topic. Do I write poems about said piece of art being gone from my life? No. Did I set up a website featuring pictures of me and said artwork on travels and adventures? No. Did I set up a tribute Facebook page for this piece of artwork? No. Did I set up a "looking for, finder's fee paid" page on the message boards? I did do that. There are many more levels to traverse before it turns into an "unhealthy obsession".

For some people "stuff" is more than stuff. I'm an only child and I have no children, and for me - "stuff" takes on a different meaning because there are things in my life that are touchstones to memories or experiences that I value - things that are intrinsic to my life that other people would simply shrug their shoulders and go "Oh well, it's just stuff!" because they might have other ways to hold reminders of things of the past, or current states of mind. Siblings can do that for people. Children can do that for people. And "stuff" can do that for people. I have heirlooms from my family that will surely end up in Salvation Army once I'm dead - but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy looking at them, pondering their meaning, reminding me of who they came from and always wanting them on my bookshelf - and missing them if they are gone. "Stuff" can remind us of where we were, people we loved or admired, goals we've achieved, adventures we want to take, artwork we want to make and generally - offer a minor moment of escapism. 

If people thought "stuff" was just "stuff" they wouldn't be here. I enjoy being around people who have a passion for art in original form or in comics. The journey to find the grail is for the individual to take - can it be unhealthy? Sure. If you sell your grandma's dentures to pay for it, or you ripoff a non-profit for the money to buy it, yeah - that's probably unhealthy. Otherwise, I'd say there isn't much issue with the grail discussions here in this thread (although I haven't read the entire thread). 2c

You have my sympathies, but not my agreement. I have family, but I also still have the stuffed toy cat I played with as an infant. In terms of my art collection, the bulk of it pertains to my enjoyment of a minor character which I started to read when I was around 11. So, I do get the memories issue. But nostalgia, taken too far, is living in the past, and that is about what you had written. It is old art. Let the rest of the world take pleasure in it if it’s gone. Presumably, you have photo’s, like I do, of my old tricycle. Sorry if you were offended by Lolita. It was intended as an easy reference to obsession. Referring to English Cadbury chocolate vs. the American Cadbury variety didn’t convey the same sense of obsessiveness, I think.

To me, a grail is a top level goal. I save my pennies, and stash some away for buying it if it ever appears. I spent 4 years chasing down one piece before getting it. I love owning it, but honestly, it’s just a picture. Not my heart.

did not intend the reference to Lolita to be a reference to pedophilia, just an easy reference to obsession.

How do you put 11x17 OA in these 11-1/2 x 17-1/2" mylar bags without damaging them?

I just bought a few to swap out the polybags I have some art in with, and I tried just putting a cheap 11x17 art print in to test them out and I cannot get the art to go in the bag without forcing it in and potentially damaging the art in the process

On 7/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, Webhead2018 said:

I would say just do it slowly so it doesn't snag on art.

That's what I've tried but the page barely goes in before it feels like theres some force (almost feels like static) that doesn't let the page go any further in without some excessive force. Even trying to inch it in bit by bit doesn't seem effective without some force. 

I'd like to be paid royalties btw if anyone nominates this for the out of context posts thread

On 7/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, JC25427N said:

That's what I've tried but the page barely goes in before it feels like theres some force (almost feels like static) that doesn't let the page go any further in without some excessive force. Even trying to inch it in bit by bit doesn't seem effective without some force. 

I'd like to be paid royalties btw if anyone nominates this for the out of context posts thread

Some possibilities: your test page may be slightly too large (it happens), board goes in more easily than paper, the sides have slightly bonded together. Try spreading the sides and inserting something relatively thick for, say, 1/2 hour. Then a board.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Some possibilities: your test page may be slightly too large (it happens), board goes in more easily than paper, the sides have slightly bonded together. Try spreading the sides and inserting something relatively thick for, say, 1/2 hour. Then a board.

Yeah, my test page turned out to be slightly larger than 11x17, it was basically the exact same size as the mylar which is why getting it to fit was rough. My pages that were actually 11x17 went in fine

:foryou: Thanks guys

On 7/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah, my test page turned out to be slightly larger than 11x17, it was basically the exact same size as the mylar which is why getting it to fit was rough. My pages that were actually 11x17 went in fine

:foryou: Thanks guys

Is your page a DC page? they are slightly larger so I use 12 x18 mylar on them.

One of my pet peeves is that all OA is not the same size, bugs me more when the same run has different sized (I store mine by size, so they would be in different piles if different sizes, despite being the same run)

Malvin

Hi! I’m new to this forum. I got started in the OA hobby in 2018 after getting a sketch cover at a con, and I’ve been collecting comics my whole life. I’m slowly easing into getting more serious about collecting OA, both commissions and OA pages. Any advice on budgeting, pacing yourself, targeting certain artists?

I’m late 20s and single, no kids, but want to balance this hobby with saving for the future. I’m currently focusing a bit on ‘quantity’ over ‘quality’, so I’m buying more smaller/less expensive things rather than more epensive/bigger names as I start building out my collection.

Some of my favorite current artists are Dan Mora, Jorge Jimenez, Chris Samnee, Doc Shaner, Tom Reilly, Bilquis Evely, and Elsa Charretier. I would love to hear any recomendations of similar artists, especially ones who have that throwback, simplified comic art, or use negative space in their style. I also want to get into collecting up-and-coming artists if you know of any.

Do you all collect mostly current art or older art, like pages from your favorite comics as a kid, or both?

How do you feel about Artist’s Proofs for current artists who work entirely digitally?

On 8/16/2022 at 1:28 PM, Hawkgirl said:

Hi! I’m new to this forum. I got started in the OA hobby in 2018 after getting a sketch cover at a con, and I’ve been collecting comics my whole life. I’m slowly easing into getting more serious about collecting OA, both commissions and OA pages. Any advice on budgeting, pacing yourself, targeting certain artists?

I’m late 20s and single, no kids, but want to balance this hobby with saving for the future. I’m currently focusing a bit on ‘quantity’ over ‘quality’, so I’m buying more smaller/less expensive things rather than more epensive/bigger names as I start building out my collection.

Some of my favorite current artists are Dan Mora, Jorge Jimenez, Chris Samnee, Doc Shaner, Tom Reilly, Bilquis Evely, and Elsa Charretier. I would love to hear any recomendations of similar artists, especially ones who have that throwback, simplified comic art, or use negative space in their style. I also want to get into collecting up-and-coming artists if you know of any.

Do you all collect mostly current art or older art, like pages from your favorite comics as a kid, or both?

How do you feel about Artist’s Proofs for current artists who work entirely digitally?

Welcome (to the addiction)!

Well, I think it doesn't hurt to have a lil structure and goals. And then deviate from em if necessary.

You already know who you like, and are prolly following em on twitter or instagram. Which gives you a headstart on if you see something new - if it's good it'll get snapped up quickly. It also wouldn't hurt to check out who their reps are or where they sell art, and have watch lists on ComicArtTracker or CAF (and Heritage and Comic Link maybe). For instance, Samnee was selling his art on ebay and now I think he keeps everything?

As far as budgeting/pacing, it never hurts to be patient and have the funds ready if something you love comes up. Quality vs quantity, there are arguments for both. My view is that if there's something you like for $X, but something you love for 20-30% more then it's worth it to get the thing you LOVE. But, I look back at some things I passed on that weren't "good enough" at the time and wish I'd gotten em! You never know.

I would also stick to published work and not commissions, but that's my personal preference.

I started buying stuff I loved as a kid and started getting newer art. The old stuff is great, but the newer artists are actual great artists and create beautiful things. I saw some work by Olivier Coipel and looked more into it and got super addicted! Feel free to check out my CAF https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=103642

I was tempted by a couple artist's proofs but haven't taken the plunge and will resist it as much as possible. :)

Ya I been doing sketches since 2014 myself. Oa just past year and a half. You should focus on characters and artists you like and enjoy. Plus you Def should budget yourself. I myself cap my self at a certain price point. Where I know I can spend that and have money for rl stuff. So good luck.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:28 AM, Hawkgirl said:

You have quite a few questions and many things are subjective.  Here are some of my opinions.

This one covers both pacing, budget:

Buy what you like and what you are comfortable in buying.  When I started, I had a psychological barrier to spending above a certain amount (at the time it was $500) on a specific piece.  It was quite artificial and meaningless (e.g. I wouldn't spend $600 on one piece but was ok with spending $600 on 2 pieces), eventually I overcame that barrier (I mean, wouldn't you spend $10K on a piece if it was worth 20K?).

This one is on your question about artists:

It's not quite the same thing, and you aren't saying that, but you know what you like, so don't "force" yourself to like someone because their style is similar to someone you like or lots of people recommend them.  I tend to know what I like when I see it.  I don't "speculate" and buy art I don't like thinking that they would be the next big thing.

Lastly, I don't collect artist proofs and most collectors don't, but they sell so there is a market.  I don't follow it but I think some have sold for less than what the artist originally sold it for.

Malvin

On 8/16/2022 at 1:28 PM, Hawkgirl said:

Welcome!  Good list of artists.  I recently secured work (commission) from Priscilla Petraites.  I think she may fit in nicely with your list.  I also really like a Greek artist who goes by Dani, or Dani Strips on Instagram.  She's great and uses negative spacing wonderfully.  

Regarding budgeting, it's easy to get out over your skis.  I'd generally recommend pacing yourself.  There is a lot of art out in the world, lots of choices.  I'd also generally recommend quality over quantity, but I also understand the excitement aspect of acquiring work.  But, once you start buying more expensive pieces you may look at the cheaper stuff differently.  

I would say most on this board collect work pre-1990.  There are some of us who dabble in more current art, but this isn't really the venue for that in my opinion.  But, there is a wealth of historical knowledge here and that is really valuable.  I generally collect backwards.  I look to the art on the page, then usually nostalgia or storyline a close second.  Most folks collect based on nostalgia, which is cool too.  

Most here also don't respond well to/think much of artist proofs.  I have one piece, the Hawkman #29 cover by Mikel Janin.  It'll likely be my only print (at least in comic art circles).  I know that Jimenez is pretty much 100% artist proof, so that may be your only recourse for him.  I love his work and might be someone I could buy a print from in the future.  But I love the traditional stuff too much.  

Welcome again.  I'm sure others will chime in...

On 8/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, malvin said:

You have quite a few questions and many things are subjective.  Here are some of my opinions.

This one covers both pacing, budget:

Buy what you like and what you are comfortable in buying.  When I started, I had a psychological barrier to spending above a certain amount (at the time it was $500) on a specific piece.  It was quite artificial and meaningless (e.g. I wouldn't spend $600 on one piece but was ok with spending $600 on 2 pieces), eventually I overcame that barrier (I mean, wouldn't you spend $10K on a piece if it was worth 20K?).

This one is on your question about artists:

It's not quite the same thing, and you aren't saying that, but you know what you like, so don't "force" yourself to like someone because their style is similar to someone you like or lots of people recommend them.  I tend to know what I like when I see it.  I don't "speculate" and buy art I don't like thinking that they would be the next big thing.

Lastly, I don't collect artist proofs and most collectors don't, but they sell so there is a market.  I don't follow it but I think some have sold for less than what the artist originally sold it for.

Malvin

Thanks for your insight. I definitely have that barrier, where I would be fine spending say $1k over several pieces in a year but not on 1 thing. I think that’s ok for now because my collection is so small, and I’m just getting started. I definitely want to overcome that barrier and focus on getting art from the artists I enjoy.

I don’t force myself to like an artist because of a similar style, but I tend to find other artists that I like either by reading their comics or getting recommendations based on what I like. I don’t intend to buy from up-and-coming artists because I want to speculate, but because I like supporting young artists who are getting started and sometimes their art speaks for themselves.

I bought some artist proofs (I also buy prints), but I definitely don’t intend to resell them. It’s more so I can have art from an artist that I like but who doesn’t have original pages.