• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post 'em if you Won 'em...C-Link, Heritage, and Pedigree.

428 posts in this topic

BTW, Gold is hardly a "liquid" commodity...unless you're talking about an ETF stock.

I'll disagree with you there. Nothing is more liquid than gold (he was talking about the bullion and not the Comic Age).

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it. At a bare minimum you need electricity to cash in an ETF.

Nothing is more liquid than gold

Does this include cash? My local supermarket has yet to institute the Bullion for Beef and Broccoli exchange system.

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it.

Yes, but at what rate in comparison to the day's spot price? 65%? 80%? Less? More? If I walk into a store and pay with $1, I will get exactly $1 worth of items. I don't have to worry about an exchange rate.

Really? Are you still living in 1928? The dollar hasn't bought a dollar's worth of merchandise in a loooooong time :sorry:

BTW, Gold is hardly a "liquid" commodity...unless you're talking about an ETF stock.

I'll disagree with you there. Nothing is more liquid than gold (he was talking about the bullion and not the Comic Age).

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it. At a bare minimum you need electricity to cash in an ETF.

Does this include cash? My local supermarket has yet to institute the Bullion for Beef and Broccoli exchange system.

Yes, but at what rate in comparison to the day's spot price? 65%? 80%? Less? More? If I walk into a store and pay with $1, I will get exactly $1 worth of items. I don't have to worry about an exchange rate.

Really? Are you still living in 1928? The dollar hasn't bought a dollar's worth of merchandise in a loooooong time :sorry:

Actually, a dollar buys exactly a dollar's worth of merchandise every time, the fact that the dollar has been inflated away into the new Peso nonewithstanding, of course.

Helicopter Ben to the rescue. :tonofbricks:

My question after all of these auctions is this: Why is George still posting after his his FDQ exit some time ago?

Of course, I'm glad he's back. Just curious if he ever left.

My question after all of these auctions is this: Why is George still posting after his his FDQ exit some time ago?

He also said he was taking a break from buying. lol

So, now that all three auctions are over...I'm curious as to what impressions everyone took away from this week long gluttony of comic-goodness.

My thoughts:

- High grade/scarce gold that's in demand (classic Superman covers, Schomburg covers, esoteric horror, pre-hero Marvels, etc.) still will set records, indicating that part of the hobby, which is generally comprised of older, more financially stable collectors is just fine.

- SA and BA Marvels continue to stagnate or decline. With few exceptions, the prices I saw this past week were good, to OK, to downright tragic. Generally speaking, early SA keys did well, while BA keys didn't fare so well. BA DCs are starting to fall into this category too.

- SA DC in high grade was generally very strong. Certainly a case where supply hasn't caught up to demand.

- You just never know what you'll win if you place enough garbage bids. :acclaim:

Anyone else?

Gluttony it was :P

I only watched Clink's auctions, and about 20 books on HA. So that is all I can really speak on.

I consigned four books in the Clink auction, all silver age. 3 of them went for less than GPA... much less. One book went for $1k+ less than the last two GPA sales. Another is normally $6k+; I had $100 return on that one after fees :whee: The other book is a pretty tough book and went for only $200 less than the grade above did this week at HA. Happy with that. Overall I still made a profit, but I would have made a lot more at another time of the year or selling privately.

I bought like crazy though and got some beautiful books at great prices. And it seems like that happened a lot.

With all that said, I am not convinced these auctions give an accurate indication of the market. This past week I sold a book privately for double what it went for on Clink just acouple of days ago. And the books that I bought and sold in the auction will sell for considerably higher, some almost immediately.

There were just too many books at one time imo. Also, not all collectors buy on auctions. I think many high-end dealers will testify to that. Some affluent collectors have the money and just don't want to wait for auctions unless perhaps it is a one of a kind book.

Again, my perception is limited but I don't think these auctions are a clear indicator of the market. The value rarer books is really determined by how much someone is willing to pay.

Thanks for a great thread (thumbs u Lots of good books were grabbed by boardies this week :headbang:

So, now that all three auctions are over...I'm curious as to what impressions everyone took away from this week long gluttony of comic-goodness.

My thoughts:

- High grade/scarce gold that's in demand (classic Superman covers, Schomburg covers, esoteric horror, pre-hero Marvels, etc.) still will set records, indicating that part of the hobby, which is generally comprised of older, more financially stable collectors is just fine.

- SA and BA Marvels continue to stagnate or decline. With few exceptions, the prices I saw this past week were good, to OK, to downright tragic. Generally speaking, early SA keys did well, while BA keys didn't fare so well. BA DCs are starting to fall into this category too.

- SA DC in high grade was generally very strong. Certainly a case where supply hasn't caught up to demand.

- You just never know what you'll win if you place enough garbage bids. :acclaim:

Anyone else?

I didn't pay as much attention to the Clink auction as I usually do, but I know that the few books I placed lowball or tracking bids on were about right on with their hammer price (or at least I wasn't shocked to the low or high side). The only book I picked up was super cheap, at least in my estimation, and I never thought I would get it for the bid I placed. That book was a pre-hero Marvel, though a late one and not an uber-HG example like many were, but it still shows that some deals could be had even in that space (and I'm sure the seller was disappointed with it). 2c

He also said he was taking a break from buying. lol

I did take a break...for a whole of a few weeks, and overall, my buying was a lot more subdued through the summer and through the early Fall.

However, I'm back on a rampage now, and it feels good.

As for my FDQ exit.....it was supposed to occur after Heroes, and for the most part, I did real well in staying out of the nonsense of CG, and limiting my time in the marketplace. Well, I was better then in years past. Baby steps, baby steps.....

Thought I'd just toss in my winnings.

Was fortunate enough to upgrade and complete my SA Animal Man collection (all 5 books!):

Upgraded my 9.2 to this lovely 9.4:

RAD3813720111020_151157.jpg img]http://[/img]

Completed my SA Animal Man set with this one:

lf-2.jpg

I got them both at prices that were about 10% over GPA, and I was very pleased with that!

I was blown away at how high this got...is this normal?

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotNo=91147&type=bidnotice-endofauction#Photo

That is a whole quantum leap above the next highest grade (6.5, which last went for $1550) according to GPA. 1st true appearance of Sgt. Rock, rare in anything above 7.0. Nothing surprises me about this book, it's been super-hot for a long time, but that is still a spectacular price.

An OAAW #83 CGC 7.5 sold for $9,600 in the August Comiclink auction as well, so there was a good chance that the 8.0 was going to eclipse $10k. I was a bit shocked with the final price, but the OAAW #83 is being recognized as "THE" key War book to own.

When the economy sucks, gold is a safe heaven. That is basic fundamentals.

My thoughts:

Anyone else?

I don't see anything wrong with the results from all these auctions.

Common post-65 SA/BA went for exactly what they should.

When you have 70 GSX #1 and 45 ASM #129 in CGC 9.8 FMV can only go down.

Yes there are some factors I already mentioned earlier that can imply a couple reason of some soft pricing, but for the most part these aren't low prices as they are the correct prices IMO.

Unfortunately GPA does not include PQ or centering subsections in their data.

GSX #1 CGC 9.6 OWW been selling for $1600-1800, while if it had WP they have still been going strong at $2100-2400.

The CL OWW went terribly at $1600 with OWW and the obvious yellow circle staining on the book that is common on GSX's #1's, while the eBay counterpart with WP's went for a healthy $2350.00.

Picked up this one for a great price in the HA Live Bid with a cut bid.... not crazy about the staple placement on the back cover but it'll do. Look for a 5.0 for sale soon on the boards :wishluck:

lf.jpg

That's a tough one in HG, nice pickup!