• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post 'em if you Won 'em...C-Link, Heritage, and Pedigree.

428 posts in this topic

I was high bidder on a few things that didn't meet reserve in the CLink auction but I did pick this up

RADFE9DA2011913_173454.jpg

The 4th page from the same story I picked up from Anthony Snyder last weekend so now I have half the story.

:acclaim:

Damn...that water is cold. :D

There's a glut of material on the market right now...especially this month. I consigned a bunch of books to Clink a few months back and several of them are going to sit around until 2012 until an "opening" appears for that particular book/grade in one of their auctions. :frustrated:

The # of books continuing to appreciate in value appears to be shrinking, while the # of books depreciating in value appears to be growing. Blue chip and scarce items still do well, but everything else is stagnant or selling for less and less. Unfortunately, I appear to have gained a knack for buying "blue chip and scarce items" that become "everything else" within 6 months to a year. Five, ten years ago that wasn't the case, but these days it's like a bear chasing you up a tree... hm

Very true. And I see this trend continuing....

I think a lot of us like to analyze to see why books in HG are depreciating over recent years. Sure we can look at time of the year, page quality, competition of flooding the market with multiple online auction houses have big auctions ending at the same time, or the centering of the book.

Those of course can contribute the FMV decline, but I believe for examples of books below, especially in 9.4 & higher this statement holds true.

Hulk 181

ASM 121 122 129

Post 1965 Silver Age (Marvel especially)

As the number of CGC census copies for any comic book goes up in that specific grade the value will either stabilize or more than likely decline every year till the hits the stabilized FMV.

You can't expect with higher supply to have increased prices.

The CL auctions are proving that every month.

I still blame the economy. Things will turn around, though. I wouldn't sell anything right now, unless I needed the money or received an unbelievable offer. Most comics won't "stabilize" at an FMV that is lower than the current market value. Superhero fanatics are born every day and will continue to represent a larger and larger percentage of our population for the indefinite future. Whether these folks will be interested in vintage comics, I don't know. Assuming that future generations will care more about history than we did, then future sellers should be happy.

If the economy tanks again comics sales have a great chance of swinging upward. Back in 2008 when the housing & financial markets tanked CGC sales had a surge in all time record breakers. to I think that could happen again? Sure in pre-65 books, but the market is way supply friendly on post-65 material to see an upswing in the near future.

Usually in a bad economy people position their cash flow into more liquid commodities like gold, and comics whether it was a fad or not seemed that investors were buying them up like candy back in the great recession.

However, common SA/BA books you will not be seeing an increase any time soon, especially on the books I have already mentioned. Mainly 9.4+, just as buying 8.0-9.2 has a more stable blue chip value than 9.4-9.8 in the majority of post 65 books.

There's a glut of material on the market right now...especially this month. I consigned a bunch of books to Clink a few months back and several of them are going to sit around until 2012 until an "opening" appears for that particular book/grade in one of their auctions. :frustrated:

The # of books continuing to appreciate in value appears to be shrinking, while the # of books depreciating in value appears to be growing. Blue chip and scarce items still do well, but everything else is stagnant or selling for less and less. Unfortunately, I appear to have gained a knack for buying "blue chip and scarce items" that become "everything else" within 6 months to a year. Five, ten years ago that wasn't the case, but these days it's like a bear chasing you up a tree... hm

Very true. And I see this trend continuing....

I think a lot of us like to analyze to see why books in HG are depreciating over recent years. Sure we can look at time of the year, page quality, competition of flooding the market with multiple online auction houses have big auctions ending at the same time, or the centering of the book.

Those of course can contribute the FMV decline, but I believe for examples of books below, especially in 9.4 & higher this statement holds true.

Hulk 181

ASM 121 122 129

Post 1965 Silver Age (Marvel especially)

As the number of CGC census copies for any comic book goes up in that specific grade the value will either stabilize or more than likely decline every year till the hits the stabilized FMV.

You can't expect with higher supply to have increased prices.

The CL auctions are proving that every month.

I still blame the economy. Things will turn around, though. I wouldn't sell anything right now, unless I needed the money or received an unbelievable offer. Most comics won't "stabilize" at an FMV that is lower than the current market value. Superhero fanatics are born every day and will continue to represent a larger and larger percentage of our population for the indefinite future. Whether these folks will be interested in vintage comics, I don't know. Assuming that future generations will care more about history than we did, then future sellers should be happy.

If the economy tanks again comics sales have a great chance of swinging upward. Back in 2008 when the housing & financial markets tanked CGC sales had a surge in all time record breakers. to I think that could happen again? Sure in pre-65 books, but the market is way supply friendly on post-65 material to see an upswing in the near future.

Usually in a bad economy people position their cash flow into more liquid commodities like gold, and comics whether it was a fad or not seemed that investors were buying them up like candy back in the great recession.

However, common SA/BA books you will not be seeing an increase any time soon, especially on the books I have already mentioned. Mainly 9.4+, just as buying 8.0-9.2 has a more stable blue chip value than 9.4-9.8 in the majority of post 65 books.

The one thing I'm fairly certain of.....a Giant Size X-Men # 1 in 9.4 is going to hold its value better then an in 9.8 will. Will it appreciate? Probably not, but it won't fall off a cliff like most of the common 9.8 books did after the few nutty buyers back in 2001-2009 era all got what they wanted.

BTW, Gold is hardly a "liquid" commodity...unless you're talking about an ETF stock.

BTW, Gold is hardly a "liquid" commodity...unless you're talking about an ETF stock.

I'll disagree with you there. Nothing is more liquid than gold (he was talking about the bullion and not the Comic Age).

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it. At a bare minimum you need electricity to cash in an ETF.

I'll disagree with you there. Nothing is more liquid than gold (he was talking about the bullion and not the Comic Age).

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it. At a bare minimum you need electricity to cash in an ETF.

Nothing is more liquid than gold

Does this include cash? My local supermarket has yet to institute the Bullion for Beef and Broccoli exchange system.

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it.

Yes, but at what rate in comparison to the day's spot price? 65%? 80%? Less? More? If I walk into a store and pay with $1, I will get exactly $1 worth of items. I don't have to worry about an exchange rate.

I picked up a nice run of GGA Wings.

Wings83.jpg

Wings85.jpg

Wings86.jpg

Wings87.jpg

Wings101.jpg

Wings102.jpg

Wow, that's a heckuva group. Glad I gave up the Fiction House Ghost a long time ago, bad enough competing with you for Nedors.

Wow, those are some great pick ups!! :banana:

Nothing is more liquid than gold

Does this include cash? My local supermarket has yet to institute the Bullion for Beef and Broccoli exchange system.

You can walk anywhere in the world and someone will give you cash for it.

Yes, but at what rate in comparison to the day's spot price? 65%? 80%? Less? More? If I walk into a store and pay with $1, I will get exactly $1 worth of items. I don't have to worry about an exchange rate.

Within reason (I'm talking about the civilized world) you can probably walk anywhere in the world and get strong money (or exchange) for gold. Probably full value or close to it. 95% to 100%+ depending on the form it's in.

Sure, you might need to walk into a bank or find a money changer but everybody knows what it is.

You can't walk anywhere in the world with a $US or $CAN and get the same. Some countries will accept our currencies, others will turn them away point blank.

Gold is universal money and always has been from the dawn of time, just not in the sense that us North Americans were brought up to believe.

Currency is not a piece of cotton or paper with green ink on it. Currency is confidence in the value of something.

On a con floor a Hulk #181 is like currency. An X-factor #1 is not. You don't even have to argue it.

The only obstacle to trading your gold in is overcoming some people's modern definition of money or currency but IMO that is a recent thing and more due to Western or even just North American culture in the past 50-70 years.

I was blown away at how high this got...is this normal?

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotNo=91147&type=bidnotice-endofauction#Photo

That is a whole quantum leap above the next highest grade (6.5, which last went for $1550) according to GPA. 1st true appearance of Sgt. Rock, rare in anything above 7.0. Nothing surprises me about this book, it's been super-hot for a long time, but that is still a spectacular price.

So, now that all three auctions are over...I'm curious as to what impressions everyone took away from this week long gluttony of comic-goodness.

My thoughts:

- High grade/scarce gold that's in demand (classic Superman covers, Schomburg covers, esoteric horror, pre-hero Marvels, etc.) still will set records, indicating that part of the hobby, which is generally comprised of older, more financially stable collectors is just fine.

- SA and BA Marvels continue to stagnate or decline. With few exceptions, the prices I saw this past week were good, to OK, to downright tragic. Generally speaking, early SA keys did well, while BA keys didn't fare so well. BA DCs are starting to fall into this category too.

- SA DC in high grade was generally very strong. Certainly a case where supply hasn't caught up to demand.

- You just never know what you'll win if you place enough garbage bids. :acclaim:

Anyone else?

There were market corrections across the board that were exacerbated by the overabundance of quality books listed. Even some high grade GA and Atom Age were getting lower than expected prices, although most of the stuff from those eras that I was after went for strong money (i.e. I got outbid).

I noticed that a lot of the late Silver / BA Marvels on Clink were in 9.8. Even a handful of those went for moderate prices.