• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Scariest Movie Moment

280 posts in this topic

The scene in Dark Water where the mom thinks she's reading her daughter a story on the living room couch...until she hears her REAL daughter in the other room!

The Ring was probably my scariest movie experience in a theatre. On video, The Exorcist was the scariest. Watched it at midnight at a friend's house with 3 friends when we were about 16. We went to a Catholic high school, and a priest had told us that he'd been part of an exorcism very similar to the one in the film.

Interesting side note...I went over to the same friend's house one night when we were about 18, and there was a family visiting that I hadn't met before. Turns out they had to leave their house because a priest was either blessing their house or performing an exorcism. They had come home from church the week before to find that the glass in their framed family photo had cracked exactly along each of their necks in the picture. They didn't think much about it, and had it fixed. When they came home from church the next week, it had cracked again in the very same way. 893whatthe.gif

I've mentioned this story before on these boards, but I refuse to watch the Exorcist to this day. Here's the story behind my decision:

When I was 12 years old back in 1983, my family and I were sitting in the den watching TV. The movie "Exorcist" had just started, and they were showing the events in Egypt. Since we were recent immigrants, I had no idea what this movie was all about. After about 10 minutes of viewing, I told my mom the movie was boring, and left the room.

When I got to the living room and turned on the lights, I noticed several bushels of bananas that my mom had purchased from the supermarket earlier in the day. There must have been about 30 ripe bananas in the basket on the table. I went over and instead of grabbing the top banana (which I usually do), I stuck my hand in the middle of the pack and broke off one. To my astonishment, my first name "Edward" was perfectly etched into the side of the banana peel. The name was hand written in long-hand and was about 1.5" high by 6" long, and was in black (almost like it was burnt into the peel instead of ink). I quickly called my family over, and they were all shocked as well. My brothers quickly took a knife and pen to recreate the writing, but since the bananas were still ripe, the writing came out really jaggedy and ugly. That banana sat there for a week until my mom decided to eat it (she's fine to this day). Everyone swore that they had nothing to do with it, and I believed them.

The only explanation we could come up with was that a store clerk or delivery person must have done this. However, the odds of me picking that one banana out of 30, my first name Edward being written on there, and that out of 6 people in the house I was the person to find it, are pretty long. When I told kids at school about the event, they quickly connected it to my dismissing of the movie. Would you believe that 23 years after the fact, I still refuse to watch this film, even though I love horror movies, and have watched most of them.

I live in a area where shamanism is still prevelent and I have seen some things that would turn you white. Honest, hand to god stuff that would make you pray for daylight.

The scene in Dark Water where the mom thinks she's reading I live in a area where shamanism is still prevelent and I have seen some things that would turn you white. Honest, hand to god stuff that would make you pray for daylight.

Any examples, I love hearing that kind of stuff. cool.gif

I know this will sound crazy but a cousin of mine was possesed.

He made these deep gutteral echo-like sounds and growled like a lion, very loud and his face "Twisted" into an expression I can only describe as pure hate.

He had to be restrained by quite a few people. It took four "medicine men" to drive that spirit out, it lasted nearly a week.

Like some, I'm not sure if the second will be better than the first. (Ex: The Ring 2 absolutely sucked)

Now the original Grudge (OG), scared the beejesus out of me. Especially the part where the ghost is walking down the hallways of the hospital and then the screen goes black and there's those eyes...

I made the mistake of watching it with the lights out. When the DVD was finished, the TV screen went blue and when I got up from the couch there was this HUGE black shadow cast across the walls of the room behind me, like the they way you see the Grudge move in the film....completely caught me off guard.

As for the Evil Dead clip, I HATE when people check to see if someone's dead. Just get out of the freakin' house man! screwy.gif

They'll try, but one of the girls gets sexually molested by a tree branch. confused.gif

Like some, I'm not sure if the second will be better than the first. (Ex: The Ring 2 absolutely sucked)

Now the original Grudge (OG), scared the beejesus out of me. Especially the part where the ghost is walking down the hallways of the hospital and then the screen goes black and there's those eyes...

I made the mistake of watching it with the lights out. When the DVD was finished, the TV screen went blue and when I got up from the couch there was this HUGE black shadow cast across the walls of the room behind me, like the they way you see the Grudge move in the film....completely caught me off guard.

I liked the first Grudge, but felt that Sarah Michelle Gellar did not portray the terror she felt like Naomi Watts did in "The Ring". The scene where that lady creeps up and looks at her eye to eye, Sarah just stares blankly onto the screen. I would've *spoon* my pants. crazy.gif

Halloween was the scariest to me. Something about that guy just creeps the *spoon* out of me.

Rob Zombie is remaking the original Halloween

All I can say is....WHY??????? You cant beat the original screwy.gif

I completely agree.

Well, also Sam Raimi is remaking the Evil Dead....and without Bruce Campbell... makepoint.gif

Oh well, at least this will be coming out soon: My Name is Bruce! yay.gif

Juon?( don't know if I spelled that right) the original japanese version of the grudge is a mutch better move the north american counterpart.

I have it on DVD. I'll watch it one of these days.

Another "B" level movie I liked (which was more suspenseful than scary), was "The Cube". The acting was a little over the top, but I loved the concept.

Juon?( don't know if I spelled that right) the original japanese version of the grudge is a mutch better move the north american counterpart.

Another "B" level movie I liked (which was more suspenseful than scary), was "The Cube". The acting was a little over the top, but I loved the concept.

Was that the one where several people wake up in this "cube" with many chambers, some of which are booby-traped?

Was that the one where several people wake up in this "cube" with many chambers, some of which are booby-traped?

Yes.

'The Cube' was very cool. Did you see 'Cube 2: Hypercube' and 'Cube Zero?' Acting still sub-par, but the cool concept continued. wink.gif