• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign Comics Cover Thread (Other than American)

207 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of the French books I've picked up in recent years...Special Strange from December 1976 and June 1981, featuring X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1, respectively.

482574-IMG_0057.JPG

482574-IMG_0057.JPG.2a75ff868c8385282f2faec432503967.JPG

Tremendous cover art. Frisano's European take on those Marvel characters was exceptional and different. I'd've thought the original art for those covers would fetch a bit. Could be a whole new market that hasn't been tapped properly yet, assuming the art is still intact and available.

Original covers art from Frisano are really hard to find and most of them (the earliest ones) are locked forever by collectors.

I just own one cover from Frisano. I could have buy 2 others covers 5-6 years ago but, unfortunately, did not (what a mistake ! 893frustrated.gif).

At that time the prices were around $400-$500 a cover.

I think that now some pieces could fetch much, very much more !

It's cool to see an american collector posting french magazines.

BTW, the second one's content is DD#131 .

I'm impressed by your knowing Jean Frisano, too.

There actually were two brothers (can't remember the second one's firt name).

But I think Jean was the only one to draw anything related to super-heroes. wink.gif

It's cool to see an american collector posting french magazines.

BTW, the second one's content is DD#131 .

thumbsup2.gif

I picked up the two X-Men issues at a flea market in Nice in 1999 and the other three I bought at Generation BD (also in Nice) last year. They have great covers and they help me with my French, so it's a great deal all around for me! I have a number of other issues, mostly recent, including some of the phenomenal Marvel hardcover reprint collections. Still looking for Wolverine #104 (French edition) so I can complete the "Origin" series if you happen to be in touch with one (thanks to Osborn_France for hooking me up with one of the other issues I was missing). I've only read a few issues, but I'm also a big fan of the "XIII" series by Vance and Van Hamme...I've got vol. #1-12 in TPB form and #13 in hardcover...one of these days I'm going to sit down and read them all. The series definitely has a level of sophisticated, gritty realism that you don't find in even the best adult-themed American titles (which are great in their own right, to be sure).

Well, that works like a charm...

482556-saga.jpg

I love those big reprint books done by Lug in the 70s. Used to read those as a child, great cover by Frisano!

On the DC side, I used to read those French translated Batman (a mix of Batman, Tec & B&B stories) published in Belgium :

Batman-36.jpg

Batman-41.jpg

Earlier this year I was able to complete this run, my biggest collecting accomplishment as of today, since those are very hard to find on this side of the Atlantic ocean...and even in Europe!

I'll try to scan my X-Mannen #1 and Die Spine #1 tomorrow...

Some the covers on this thread is fantastic. Too bad alot of the pics are no longer available. I love seeing foreign comics. I really hope we can keep this thread going for a while longer. Show them if you got them.