• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A week for RMA

363 posts in this topic

What does trolling mean? hm

I know what a troll is,but I am not sure what trolling defines?

From the Urban dictionary:

TROLLING: Being a on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."

Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

I thought it was following someone from thread to thread to continue a fight or disagreement.

I saw someone get a strike for doing that before and it was called trolling.

There's different kinds of trolling. What you mentioned is the Stalker Toll.

I've got one of those :)

I love you Rupp!!! :cloud9:

:foryou:

Rupp's always got your back Mikenyc :headbang:

I hear your bite is worse than your bark hm

Wife sez my butt is the worst of the three choices :)

Hey, has a shill scored any points in the Locked Thread Points Challenge yet? hm
Who wants to know...., ?? :think:

Get over yourself. RMA's not even here and you're strutting around the yard, clucking like a hen. You're trolling the man and he's not even here. I guess you're spiking the proverbial football. Go fist yourself, mouth-breather.

Wow, DiceX, I am sorry to see you get so angry over this. I thought you and I had a good rapport and I enjoyed our previous exchanges. For the record, I do not feel I am strutting or spiking the football. As for fisting myself, I did the measurements and....not gonna happen. If you had said "go jump in a lake" then maybe I could find a way to accommodate your request.

Yeah. Lowbrow put me in schoolyard mode. You were the casualty.

Go jump in a lake. :sumo:

So what you are saying is every time you see 1 or 2 or 6 guys all laying into one guy you feel the need to defend the one guy?

No, that's not what I said and it is nowhere implied in my message.

So what you are saying is, if you see a guy being bullied, you should step in and help him...unless it's RMA?

There were between 6 and 12 people following every single one of RMA's posts and threads and jumping down his throat. Should RMA have kept up the debate? No. Should RMA have walked away? Probably. Would you or I or anyone else respond in 100% the right way every time with that many people chomping at the bit to attack us? I highly doubt it.

There aren't many logical ways to reconcile your analogy, and your expectations of what it means to be a "man", with how you've responded to and handled RMA.

The thing you are missing, the thing you can't admit, is that if anything RMA said, or did, or baited, or provoked, or trolled, or annoyed the person in question with was really all that bad he could have EASILY ignored RMA and walked away.

Or RMA can start acting like a decent human being and knock it off with the never-ending stream of baiting, provoking, trolling, self-aggrandizing and name-calling. I've had him on ignore for almost 2 years now, so all I ever see from him is what other people quote, but as far as I can tell, that's about 99% of what he's been contributing to this board lately - he jumps on an argument (any argument will do) like a shark sensing blood in the water, immediately lays into people for being fools, buffoons or oafs, and quickly starts alternating between passive-aggressive trolling, outright belittlement and playing the victim.

He's like the guest that shows up uninvited at your house, drags his muddy boots all over your new carpet, drinks all your beer and then insults your wife - are you telling me that, in real life, you'd put up with even a minute of his b/s without kicking his out the door?

I'm not here to create drama nor to puff up my own self-worth by mercilessly beating people into the ground over minute trivia. I'm here because I enjoy collecting & discussing comic books. So why on earth should I have to put people on ignore because they lack even the most rudimentary social skills to function in a setting such as this?

:applause:

Most members have threatened to use info about my family to turn me into a quivering puddle of pain.

He's a standup guy, please keep defending him.

So is that why he was given a strike? He got 3 threads locked after that thread, and the thread went on for 200 more posts after that.

Why didn't Arch use "Threats" like he did with Transplant if that's the case?

Arch said trolling, which leads me to believe it was all the different threads and fights going on simultaneously getting thread after thread locked.

I didn't see what he said to you the first time around actually, or maybe I saw him say something about shredding you without moderation being in place and you laughing it off.

There's no way anyone on this board should be talking about using personal information against anyone else. That's just wrong.

Was this about the time you two were fighting across that thread for hours, weren't you? Back and forth and back and forth? Am I imagining that? It was about the same time several people were trying to shift the thread to joking around and diffuse the hotness.

As I said it's never ok to talk about personal lives or families, part of this sounds like two guys throwing punches in the ring and one guy went below the belt.

I guessed the strike was because of the threat. If it wasn't, it should have been an additional week.

I also don't see it as going below the belt. It's way more than that. I wouldn't expect anyone to write that they could cause me pain by using my personal info on here, I'm sorry but that is beyond a below the belt comment.

I prefer J-Hole to A-Hole. I don't know the difference, but it seems beefier.

J-Hole does seem to have more of a hook to it....., :think:

So what you are saying is every time you see 1 or 2 or 6 guys all laying into one guy you feel the need to defend the one guy?

No, that's not what I said and it is nowhere implied in my message.

So what you are saying is, if you see a guy being bullied, you should step in and help him...unless it's RMA?

There were between 6 and 12 people following every single one of RMA's posts and threads and jumping down his throat. Should RMA have kept up the debate? No. Should RMA have walked away? Probably. Would you or I or anyone else respond in 100% the right way every time with that many people chomping at the bit to attack us? I highly doubt it.

There aren't many logical ways to reconcile your analogy, and your expectations of what it means to be a "man", with how you've responded to and handled RMA.

The thing you are missing, the thing you can't admit, is that if anything RMA said, or did, or baited, or provoked, or trolled, or annoyed the person in question with was really all that bad he could have EASILY ignored RMA and walked away.

Or RMA can start acting like a decent human being and knock it off with the never-ending stream of baiting, provoking, trolling, self-aggrandizing and name-calling. I've had him on ignore for almost 2 years now, so all I ever see from him is what other people quote, but as far as I can tell, that's about 99% of what he's been contributing to this board lately - he jumps on an argument (any argument will do) like a shark sensing blood in the water, immediately lays into people for being fools, buffoons or oafs, and quickly starts alternating between passive-aggressive trolling, outright belittlement and playing the victim.

He's like the guest that shows up uninvited at your house, drags his muddy boots all over your new carpet, drinks all your beer and then insults your wife - are you telling me that, in real life, you'd put up with even a minute of his b/s without kicking his out the door?

I'm not here to create drama nor to puff up my own self-worth by mercilessly beating people into the ground over minute trivia. I'm here because I enjoy collecting & discussing comic books. So why on earth should I have to put people on ignore because they lack even the most rudimentary social skills to function in a setting such as this?

:applause:

I :applause: you and golfclap: mschmidt

Most members have threatened to use info about my family to turn me into a quivering puddle of pain.

So is that why he was given a strike? He got 3 threads locked after that thread, and the thread went on for 200 more posts after that.

Arch said trolling, which leads me to believe it was all the different threads and fights going on simultaneously getting thread after thread locked.

I didn't see what he said to you the first time around actually, or maybe I saw him say something about shredding you without moderation being in place and you laughing it off.

There's no way anyone on this board should be talking about using personal information against anyone else. That's just wrong.

Was this about the time you two were fighting across that thread for hours, weren't you? Back and forth and back and forth? Am I imagining that? It was about the same time several people were trying to shift the thread to joking around and diffuse the hotness.

As I said it's never ok to talk about personal lives or families, part of this sounds like two guys throwing punches in the ring and one guy went below the belt.

I guessed the strike was because of the threat. If it wasn't, it should have been an additional week.

I also don't see it as going below the belt. It's way more than that. I wouldn't expect anyone to use write that they could cause me pain by using my personal info on here, I'm sorry but that is beyond a below the belt comment.

Then ask why Mike laughed it off the first time he said it.

1) We all crave attention. Otherwise we would not post.

Many people post to seek information and/or opinions. Or to just share ideas or acquisitions with like minded folk. Does that necessitate "craving attention"?

PS - before you answer please note I replied to you and hopefully gave you a titch of the attention you seem to crave. :hi:

I can seek information and opinions without even being a member of this Board. I can share ideas and acquisitions through PM's.

Posting a graemlin or a wall of text is seeking some amount of attention be it from one person or one thousand. Validation and attention seeking aren't that far apart.

Titch? Who says titch? :hi:

Yes. I got it. No, I haven't used it. :(

AGAIN you side step. Can you please drop the lawyer-tude for a bit? You are saying sending a PM for info is fine but posting a message on a MESSAGE board for info is seeking attention? What? They should assiduously read the boards, keep constant note of who may know what, and then send perhaps multiple PMs to find answers or various opinions? Seems much less efficient than just posting a simple message on a MESSAGE board.

BTW - I don't know a message board that allows you to send PMs to members without joining the board. That was a titch silly, don't you think?

Oh - I say "titch". It is a good word. between a smidgeon and a pinch...a titch. (thumbs u

1) We all crave attention. Otherwise we would not post.

Many people post to seek information and/or opinions. Or to just share ideas or acquisitions with like minded folk. Does that necessitate "craving attention"?

PS - before you answer please note I replied to you and hopefully gave you a titch of the attention you seem to crave. :hi:

I can seek information and opinions without even being a member of this Board. I can share ideas and acquisitions through PM's.

Posting a graemlin or a wall of text is seeking some amount of attention be it from one person or one thousand. Validation and attention seeking aren't that far apart.

Titch? Who says titch? :hi:

Yes. I got it. No, I haven't used it. :(

AGAIN you side step. Can you please drop the lawyer-tude for a bit? You are saying sending a PM for info is fine but posting a message on a MESSAGE board for info is seeking attention? and what? They should assiduously read the boards, keep constant note of who may know what, and then send perhaps multiple PMs to find answers or various opinions? Seems much less efficient than just posting a simple message on a MESSAGE board.

Oh - I say "titch". It is a good word. between a smidgeon and a pinch...a titch. (thumbs u

I thought I was the one side-stepping...don't distract from my attention. rantrant

He didn't get the strike for that. The button was hit on that post shortly after he posted. That was on 11/30. They don't wait a week to give out a strike.

I think he was given a strike today because of what he put in his location. None of his posts are missing.

So you can't stand the guy, yet you post just like him, debate just like him, and selectively ignore parts of opposing arguments just like him.

Hmmm, well I don't see all the similarities you do, though certainly RMA and I are both vociferous people. But then again, so are you. As for the part about "selectively ignoring parts of opposing arguments," does that mean you are admitting that RMA selectively ignores parts of opposing arguments? If so, I have observed this as well. In terms of my own response to arguments, if you think I have selectively ignored something important, then feel free to point it out.

If you had a whole mess of people jumping down your throat when you did this and being really not nice about it...who knows how you'd react.

Again, you are characterizing things as if RMA was just minding his own business and casually interacting with people, not doing anything the least bit provocative or aggressive, when suddenly dozens of people swooped in and began haranguing him. Does that sum up your view of things? I think your characterization here is pretty far afield of the reality that I've observed.

Wait a couple paragraphs and you say something about how you agree that it impossible to really know a person from what they post online. Which part of your post is true? They both can't be.

To be clear, the part I wrote about manhood was in response to your statements to the effect that the only manly way to deal with things is to ignore them. That is what you said, and you suggested as a corollary that to react otherwise was unmanly (that is, only explainable if the person were a child or woman). Hence my statement. It was not a spontaneous expression of who you are outside of the forums; it was directly related to what you wrote.

RMA disagreed with people, he didn't actually or theoretically threaten anyone, he argued with them...and they argued back.

False dichotomy here between "disagreement" and "threatening." Those are not the only two modes of expression possible, there are levels in between. For what it's worth, at least a few people did take a few things he said as being threatening in nature, but I have no doubt you'll interpret his side of that in the most forgiving possible way. The funny thing about your above statement is that earlier you had tacitly admitted RMA had engaged in some level of questionable behavior. Yet here you are denying it.

In the real world, when people don't get along they argue.

There are respectful and constructive ways to argue, and there are disrespectful and nonconstructive ways. In the real world, the former enhances the interaction between people, and the latter degrades it.

If there were danger, that's what MODS are for. Not self-appointed ones...ACTUAL ones.

I'm not sure what your fixation is on "danger." Something doesn't have to be tangibly "dangerous" to be questionable or to significantly lower the quality of discourse.

Don't turn this into you needing to save someone as some moral obligation where I am obviously lacking.

Okay, I won't do that if you won't do the equivalent on your side (which is how this started). Fine with me.

What I have, is perspective, experience, and actual knowledge.

A blanket and unearned statement of superiority does not bolster your position in this exchange. If you have so much perspective, experience and "actual knowledge" then the burden is on you to use it and to make its value self-evident rather than assumed.

I've got several years as an LEO and more than a decade an a half as an advocate.

Whoop-de-doo, I have a doctorate in Who Gives a .

So I get more than just a giggle when YOU tell ME what MY definition of manhood and responsibility are.

Cool, giggle yourself into a Tickle-Me-Elmo seizure for all I care.

There's no replacement for actually getting to know someone. Short cutting the process and labeling someone a "Bully" or "Philistine" may shrink the world to a manageable size, easy to digest, but you don't get an inch closer to really understanding any of it.

I never used the word philistine, but admittedly, it is a very cool word.

I thought I was the one side-stepping...don't distract from my attention. rantrant

I fear I noticed your side-stepping and attention seeking but it was not glamorous and a titch embarrassing to see, so I will not mention it out of deference to your feelings and my respect for you. :foryou:

I've skimmed this whole POS of a thread, and all I can say is youse guys is :screwy:

You should all go to bed, forget about this thread, and act accordingly in the morning. :P

So you can't stand the guy, yet you post just like him, debate just like him, and selectively ignore parts of opposing arguments just like him.

Hmmm, well I don't see all the similarities you do, though certainly RMA and I are both vociferous people. But then again, so are you. As for the part about "selectively ignoring parts of opposing arguments," does that mean you are admitting that RMA selectively ignores parts of opposing arguments? If so, I have observed this as well. In terms of my own response to arguments, if you think I have selectively ignored something important, then feel free to point it out.

If you had a whole mess of people jumping down your throat when you did this and being really not nice about it...who knows how you'd react.

Again, you are characterizing things as if RMA was just minding his own business and casually interacting with people, not doing anything the least bit provocative or aggressive, when suddenly dozens of people swooped in and began haranguing him. Does that sum up your view of things? I think your characterization here is pretty far afield of the reality that I've observed.

Wait a couple paragraphs and you say something about how you agree that it impossible to really know a person from what they post online. Which part of your post is true? They both can't be.

To be clear, the part I wrote about manhood was in response to your statements to the effect that the only "manly" way to deal with things is to ignore them. That is what you said, and you suggested as a corollary that to react otherwise was "unmanly." Hence my statement. It was not a spontaneous expression of who you are outside of the forums; it was directly related to what you wrote.

RMA disagreed with people, he didn't actually or theoretically threaten anyone, he argued with them...and they argued back.

False dichotomy here between "disagreement" and "threatening." Those are not the only two modes of expression possible, there are levels in between. For what it's worth, at least a few people did take a few things he said as being threatening in nature, but I have no doubt you'll interpret his side of that in the most forgiving possible way. The funny thing about your above statement is that earlier you had tacitly admitted RMA had engaged in some level of questionable behavior. Yet here you are denying it.

In the real world, when people don't get along they argue.

There are respectful and constructive ways to argue, and there are disrespectful and nonconstructive ways. In the real world, the former enhances the interaction between people, and the latter degrades it.

If there were danger, that's what MODS are for. Not self-appointed ones...ACTUAL ones.

I'm not sure what your fixation is on "danger." Something doesn't have to be tangibly "dangerous" to be questionable or to significantly lower the quality of discourse.

Don't turn this into you needing to save someone as some moral obligation where I am obviously lacking.

Okay, I won't do that if you won't do the equivalent on your side (which is how this started). Fine with me.

What I have, is perspective, experience, and actual knowledge.

A blanket and unearned statement of superiority does not bolster your position in this exchange. If you have so much perspective, experience and "actual knowledge" then the burden is on you to use it and to make its value self-evident rather than assumed.

I've got several years as an LEO and more than a decade an a half as an advocate.

Whoop-de-doo, I have a doctorate in Who Gives a .

So I get more than just a giggle when YOU tell ME what MY definition of manhood and responsibility are.

Cool, giggle yourself into a Tickle-Me-Elmo seizure for all I care.

There's no replacement for actually getting to know someone. Short cutting the process and labeling someone a "Bully" or "Philistine" may shrink the world to a manageable size, easy to digest, but you don't get an inch closer to really understanding any of it.

I never used the word philistine, but admittedly, it is a very cool word.

It's hard for others to understand your opinion concerning RMA when your posts are ironically similar to his.

Just sayin...

I called RMA out immediately for saying what he did and that's that. I never said he got a strike for what he did, he earned that strike all on his own.

If RMA decides to tell me that talking about my family, which is the only personal info I share, can turn me into a puddle of pain, that's a problem.

I'm still baffled that you continue to defend him. (shrug)

I've skimmed this whole POS of a thread, and all I can say is youse guys is :screwy:

You should all go to bed, forget about this thread, and act accordingly in the morning. :P

:lol:

Aren't I owed a fish slap to the face?

There's physical bullying and there is cyber bullying.

Neither is acceptable.

Again absolutely true.

I represented the family of a girl, whose classmates signed her up for dozens of pornographic websites, posted her address on craigslist as an escort for hire, with her home address and phone number and photograph listed. She tried to kill herself.

THAT'S Cyber Bullying.

Having seen the real thing. I don't think two 30-40 something year old men having a disagreement on a forum is cyber bullying.

So you are basically saying that murder is a valid crime but being cut with a knife by someone, say, on the arm, is not a valid crime because it does not compare with murder?

No I am saying murder is an actual crime, and hurting your feelings because you can't debate well on a flipping comic message board isn't.

Why did you side-step my comparison? Are you saying someone slicing me with a knife on the arm without provocation is not a crime?

Your comparison identified two actual different crimes, but both crimes.

My post identified something that's actually a crime and something that's NOT a crime, anywhere.

So your comparison contains two sides of the same coin and mine might as well be as different as a dime and a red snapper.

Actually it IS a crime HERE. Like it or not private enterprises like this message board are like countries. They have rules that can be enforced outside of the judicial system. It is why strikes can be given for somehting that would be thrown out of court in the judicial system. But within the "society" of the message board, strikes and bans can be given. Certain actions can indeed be seen as "crimes" within the context of the private message board society.