• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most undervalued Silver & Bronze comics at present?

141 posts in this topic

If the much talked about Luke Cage movie ever got made would we see interest spiking in Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1

Nice black border to make picking one up in high grade that little bit more tricky...?

Possibly, but that book has spiked and is reasonably common in high grades, despite the black cover.

If the much talked about Luke Cage movie ever got made would we see interest spiking in Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1

Nice black border to make picking one up in high grade that little bit more tricky...?

Possibly, but that book has spiked and is reasonably common in high grades, despite the black cover.

This book has 'spiked,' that I agree with fully. That being said, if you are going to make a case that books with black covers are undervalued (or a better term, 'hard to find in high grade') as a result; then you would have to make the same case for Ghost Rider #1, Marvel Team Up #1, and a slew of others...

Ghost Rider #1 just got a new movie as well. This book is already OVER-valued in my humble opinion.

I have come to realize that all Warren mags and Eerie Publications mags,are extremely undervalued.For instance Creepy #1 guides in 9.2 for 230.00 if you can find one in 9.2 or better it should at least be a thousand dollar book.Creepy #32 in 9.2 I bought for 60.00 there are only 13 graded total only 2 in 9.2,shouldn't that book be at least around 200.00 or so? Yet guides for 95.00 in 9.2 good luck finding one.How about Vampirella#1 guides for 1100.00 in 9.2? C'mon!These are the real undervalued books.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No need to blow up these mags..........until I find me some copies.

This book has 'spiked,' that I agree with fully. That being said, if you are going to make a case that books with black covers are undervalued (or a better term, 'hard to find in high grade') as a result; then you would have to make the same case for Ghost Rider #1, Marvel Team Up #1, and a slew of others...

Ghost Rider #1 just got a new movie as well. This book is already OVER-valued in my humble opinion.

I think it's a fair point to raise...Look at Fantastic Four #112 great Hulk Vs Thing cover and they go and give it a black border. I seem to remember that was a really hard book to track down in high grade...well in the UK anyway.

I would agree with you that Ghost Rider #1 is overvalued.

I have come to realize that all Warren mags and Eerie Publications mags,are extremely undervalued.For instance Creepy #1 guides in 9.2 for 230.00 if you can find one in 9.2 or better it should at least be a thousand dollar book.Creepy #32 in 9.2 I bought for 60.00 there are only 13 graded total only 2 in 9.2,shouldn't that book be at least around 200.00 or so? Yet guides for 95.00 in 9.2 good luck finding one.How about Vampirella#1 guides for 1100.00 in 9.2? C'mon!These are the real undervalued books.

They're great magazines, for sure.

But I think that, aside from a handful of tricky issues, there's just too many of them out there. Maybe not in uber-high grade, but the pool of collectors for HG Warren seems to be on the small side.

Also, Dark Horse has been cranking out the reprints for a number of years now, which may have put a dent in demand.

(And they're in black & white. Black and white!!!!)

If Hollywood announced a Luke Cage movie today,then the odds are it would take them 3 to 5 years to produce it. In Hollywood things are slow. So with these kinda superhero undervalued comic books expect a long wait. It is also disconcerting that 20 years ago comic books could get hot without Hollywood`s help,now 90 percent of the time the only reason a comic book gets hot is become Hollywood is going to turn the comic book into a movie. There is something fundamentally wrong with that. In other words Hollywood is now driving the market and not the pure comic book collectors themselves. An example would be take the lamest character you can think of like H.E.R.B.I.E. the Robot. If Hollywood announced that Herbie the Robot was getting his own movie then Fantastic Four #209 would skyrocket in value!

fantastic-four-comic-209FNneg.jpg

;)

If Hollywood announced a Luke Cage movie today,then the odds are it would take them 3 to 5 years to produce it. In Hollywood things are slow. So with these kinda superhero undervalued comic books expect a long wait. It is also disconcerning that 20 years ago comic books could get hot without Hollywood`s help,now 90 percent of the time the only reason a comic book gets hot is become Hollywood is going to turn the comic book into a movie. There is something fundamentally wrong with that. In other words Hollywood is now driving the market and not the pure comic book collectors themselves. An example would be takest the lamest character you can think of like H.E.R.B.I.E. the Robot. If Hollywood announced that Herbie the Robot was getting his own movie then Fantastic Four #209 would skyrocket in value!

fantastic-four-comic-209FNneg.jpg

;)

I'd go and watch it!

I'm all for keeping things old-school but anything that switches a new generation of kids onto comics is surely a good thing?

My three year old loves the Hulk but I doubt that he will ever get into collecting comics despite my best efforts.

That would be great!...I have four (4) raw copies of FF 209.

mm

My point wasn`t about FF 209, but any obscure comic book character Hollywood deems for a movie makes it hot. My concern is why does Hollywood dictate what are the hot comic books? When did the comic book market become so dependent on Hollywood? This could make for false values,as from what I have been hearing is that Hollywood is about to switch its gears from making comic book heroes movies to videogame characters movies instead.

That would be great!...I have four (4) raw copies of FF 209.

mm

My point wasn`t about FF 209, but any obscure comic book character Hollywood deems for a movie makes it hot. My concern is why does Hollywood dictate what are the hot comic books? When did the comic book market become so dependent on Hollywood? This could make for false values,as from what I have been hearing is that Hollywood is about to switch its gears from making comic book heroes movies to videogame characters movies instead.

Or toy related movies!!!

But I think that, aside from a handful of tricky issues, there's just too many of them out there. Maybe not in uber-high grade, but the pool of collectors for HG Warren seems to be on the small side.

Also, Dark Horse has been cranking out the reprints for a number of years now, which may have put a dent in demand.

Ah, a discussion of the Warren mags. These are generally really hard to find in grade, especially the lower print books, or the books that were in short supply in the Warren warehouse auction. I am surprised though that the the demand for these is so low, especially among hard core comic collectors. The art is amazing (Frazetta, Morrow, Jones, Adams and countless more!) and the stories are fun in the style of classic horror and sci-fi. The 1970's was a great time for horror. Yes, they are in black and white, but that tends to bring out the detail in the lines and give full effect to the art. The spirit of the pre-code horror books lived on in these mags. If the code had never come about, I think comics in the 60's and 70's would have been much more like the magazines. In fact, it was because of the success of the magazines that the code was loosened in the 1970's to allow vampires and were-wolfs and what-not.

The benefit of the low demand is that I can find great stuff at great prices! However, if demand ever picked up for these books, even a little, the prices would skyrocket.

Undervalued? yes Under-appreciated? yes Will this change any time soon? :wishluck:

So what are the comic book keys for Micronauts?

We know it will be a blockbuster with J.J. Abrams signed on to direct! :cloud9:

hm Hmm, Micronauts #1? (shrug)

I seem to remember a limited series with the X-Men but I may have made that up?

JJ Abrams does seem to have the midas touch and I'll be really interested to see how this will movie turns out.

So what are the comic book keys for Micronauts?

We know it will be a blockbuster with J.J. Abrams signed on to direct! :cloud9:

hm Hmm, Micronauts #1? (shrug)

I seem to remember a limited series with the X-Men but I may have made that up?

JJ Abrams does seem to have the midas touch and I'll be really interested to see how this will movie turns out.

There was a four part mini-series X-Men and the Micronauts around 1984

Ah, a discussion of the Warren mags. These are generally really hard to find in grade, especially the lower print books, or the books that were in short supply in the Warren warehouse auction. I am surprised though that the the demand for these is so low, especially among hard core comic collectors. The art is amazing (Frazetta, Morrow, Jones, Adams and countless more!) and the stories are fun in the style of classic horror and sci-fi. The 1970's was a great time for horror. Yes, they are in black and white, but that tends to bring out the detail in the lines and give full effect to the art. The spirit of the pre-code horror books lived on in these mags. If the code had never come about, I think comics in the 60's and 70's would have been much more like the magazines. In fact, it was because of the success of the magazines that the code was loosened in the 1970's to allow vampires and were-wolfs and what-not.

The benefit of the low demand is that I can find great stuff at great prices! However, if demand ever picked up for these books, even a little, the prices would skyrocket.

Undervalued? yes Under-appreciated? yes Will this change any time soon? :wishluck:

I've never udnerstood it, but yes, there is a magazine stigma and it's all about them being too big for a regular comic box. personally, i prefer maagzine sized boxes anyway...you can fit more comics in them AND GA and magazines if need be. my friend who used to run a shop told me about the stigma long time ago...it also applies to weird size sports cards like those long basketball cards from the 60's. they don't fit in a regular card box. personally, i have felt the irritation with a CG slabbed magazine as it was too big for even a magazine box and it was just out there always annoying me because i didn't know where to put it, i finally just sold it for a loss and haven't bought one since.

70s/80s warren stuff is cheap because of the warehouse, no doubt about it. but they'd certainly fetch more if there wasn't that magazine stigma out there. heck, forget about $2 off ebay, I was buying them for $2-$3 (including Vampis) from Midtown comics 10-15 years ago, not exactly a place known for cheap back issues and got scads of them in nice shape at NYC shows for $2 each.

as for creepy 1 in HG "should be" a $1000 book...I dunno. I own a stack of them. they probably aren't 9.2s, but they're pretty nice. i wish they were $1000 books, heck, FMV of $200 would be cool too.

and after i have come to the realization that some of my long boxes (dunno who made these pieces of kr**p) are a fraction of an inch too short for many backing boards, causing a frigging bend if you have too much weight on top of them, I am out of my mind pizzed off.

I've never udnerstood it, but yes, there is a magazine stigma and it's all about them being too big for a regular comic box. personally, i prefer maagzine sized boxes anyway...you can fit more comics in them AND GA and magazines if need be. my friend who used to run a shop told me about the stigma long time ago...it also applies to weird size sports cards like those long basketball cards from the 60's. they don't fit in a regular card box. personally, i have felt the irritation with a CG slabbed magazine as it was too big for even a magazine box and it was just out there always annoying me because i didn't know where to put it, i finally just sold it for a loss and haven't bought one since.

70s/80s warren stuff is cheap because of the warehouse, no doubt about it. but they'd certainly fetch more if there wasn't that magazine stigma out there. heck, forget about $2 off ebay, I was buying them for $2-$3 (including Vampis) from Midtown comics 10-15 years ago, not exactly a place known for cheap back issues and got scads of them in nice shape at NYC shows for $2 each.

as for creepy 1 in HG "should be" a $1000 book...I dunno. I own a stack of them. they probably aren't 9.2s, but they're pretty nice. i wish they were $1000 books, heck, FMV of $200 would be cool too.

and after i have come to the realization that some of my long boxes (dunno who made these pieces of kr**p) are a fraction of an inch too short for many backing boards, causing a frigging bend if you have too much weight on top of them, I am out of my mind pizzed off.

Interesting, I figured the size played into it somehow. I am like you, I like the magazine boxes because they will fit the golden age mylars and archives. The cool thing about the larger size is that they look really cool framed on the wall. Each year around Halloween, I pull a few out and put them around the house.