• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest Comic in Your Collection That You Bought Brand New!

106 posts in this topic

I totally misunderstood the thread.

There are only three books from my childhood that are still in my possession.

Here they are. Spidey is the oldest.

120039.jpg.381bb5b33d1171c450b7e2c732d2c40f.jpg

120040.jpg.09ce8dcb34771609d21e873e0236fdd7.jpg

120041.jpg.eba38983c18f319abda77b2723d4a2a2.jpg

First comic acquired:

Adventure Comics 433 in 1974.

Given to me by a friend of my mother's not long after release date. Still have it. It's in horrible shape. That Spectre book was followed by a bunch of DC horror comics.

First Marvel Comic:

Amazing Spider-Man 148 in 1975.

Bought at a neighbourhood convenient store. That one is long-gone, but it converted me from a DC to Marvel kid in no time.

Bought Bart Simpson #1 and Futurama #2 on my first trip to a comic shop.

What is the first or oldest comic you personally bought the month it was issued?

Mine is ALL WINNERS #4...I bought it in '42.

mm

1st comic I ever bought with my own money was Batman #103 in 1956 I believe. Bought it off the spinner rack in a Walgreens in Chicago. Still have the book and had it graded by CGC and they gave it a grade of 9.2. The book is still in my collection.

(worship)

I have tons that were bought for me from 1975. The first one I bought with my own money was Avengers 250, nine years later after getting my first job that actually paid money, rather than a right to continue to receive food and shelter.

1st comic I ever bought with my own money was Batman #103 in 1956 I believe. Bought it off the spinner rack in a Walgreens in Chicago. Still have the book and had it graded by CGC and they gave it a grade of 9.2. The book is still in my collection.

Very cool. Do you have any others from the same era in the same condition that you got graded? Add several hundred more and you might be headed for a Pedigree!

This is an upgraded version but I still have the original. Bought in Adrian, MI from what I remember at local drugstore. I think I was 10. I must have read this countless times. There is a Villian Gallery in it and I was fascinated about their back stories. Little did I know how weak some of Aquaman's Rogues Gallery is. lol

dcsuper7.jpg

The comics I read as a little kid were tossed as a matter of course. At 17 I began collecting in earnest, and still have my purchases with May and June, 1972 cover dates: Avengers #100, Thor #200, Conan #16, FF #123, ASM #110, Hulk #153, Cap #150. It was a great month to start reading comics again, and made me a fan for life.

I don't keep good enough track but I have some 12 cent covers
How did I read the question wrong? :boo:

So the first comic I bought brand new was the one with Jason Todd all bloody on the cover. For a while before that my mom would only buy me comics out of the quarter bin

The first comics, which I still own, that I remember purchasing as a 10 year old off the Stars and Stripes newstand in Giessen Germany were Fantastic Four #79 and Avengers King Size #2.

large.jpg

By the time another 11 months had passed I had become a collector buying nearly every Marvel that I could get my hands on. :cloud9: