• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the X-Men #25 Black & White + Gold Edition Variants

180 posts in this topic

:o

Nice find on the information!! Can anyone confirm or counter that?!?

Here's the incentive Hologram Sheet, but I don't have any of the Oversized Cards.

Thanks Ben, for posting these pics!! (worship) I was going to ask you to add them, but it looks like you beat me to it!!

(thumbs u

No problem. Now that I own the Hologram Sheet know about the Oversized Hologram cards, too, I'm that much closer to a complete set of Fatal Attractions stuff. Still itching to know for sure about the distribution ratios and such of the two X-Men #25 variants...

How rare are these hologram cards anyway? (shrug)

He said they also gave away an Oversized card that had a Fatal Attractions Hologram on it. You had to order at least 500 copies to get 1 Hologram Card. For every 500 copies you ordered you got 10 B&Ws and 2 Gold and 1 Hologram Card.

He said they also gave away a Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms on it you had to order at least 2,500 copies to get 1 Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms. For every 2,500 copies you ordered you got 25 B&Ws and 12 Golds and all 6 Oversized Cards with a Hologram and 1 Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms.

hm

He said they also gave away an Oversized card that had a Fatal Attractions Hologram on it. You had to order at least 500 copies to get 1 Hologram Card. For every 500 copies you ordered you got 10 B&Ws and 2 Gold and 1 Hologram Card.

He said they also gave away a Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms on it you had to order at least 2,500 copies to get 1 Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms. For every 2,500 copies you ordered you got 25 B&Ws and 12 Golds and all 6 Oversized Cards with a Hologram and 1 Sheet that contained all 6 Fatal Attractions Holograms.

hm

hmhm

I don't know how rare they are but you don't see them around very often.

Some of them sell for crazy money. The Holograms of Gambit, Night Crawler, Cable, and Wolverine normally sell for around $20 to $30!!

The Havok and Magneto Hologram Cards seem to be the most Common I see way more of them around than any of the other Hologram Cards.

Some of them sell for crazy money. The Holograms of Gambit, Night Crawler, Cable, and Wolverine normally sell for around $20 to $30!!

The Havok and Magneto Hologram Cards seem to be the most Common I see way more of them around than any of the other Hologram Cards.

Hmm...Do I see dollar signs? hm:grin:

Only if you've got some of them... :baiting:

Only if you've got some of them... :baiting:

MDMarvelComics and Benjamin Grimm - thanks for the information. I have both the blue X-Men #1 incentive card and the black one somewhere in my Cave. doh! now to get my hands on one of those X-Men 25 retail incentive hologram sheets hm

If this has been asked earlier - apologies, but does anyone know why they did not do the same with the other Fatal Attraction covers?

MDMarvelComics and Benjamin Grimm - thanks for the information. I have both the blue X-Men #1 incentive card and the black one somewhere in my Cave. doh! now to get my hands on one of those X-Men 25 retail incentive hologram sheets hm

If this has been asked earlier - apologies, but does anyone know why they did not do the same with the other Fatal Attraction covers?

:gossip: I got my Hologram Sheet on eBay...

As for the other Fatal Attractions covers, we're having a hard enough time coming up with information on the two variants that do exist, let alone the other five issues which didn't have variants. Without an inside source at Marvel, we may never know why they didn't do other variants. But if I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I'd say they highlighted X-Men #25 with the variants because it was kind of the high point of the story arc, with Magneto removing Wolverine's adamantium and Xavier mind wiping Magneto. But who knows...

I picked up a Gold Edition (raw NM) at Wondercon a few years ago. The dealer seemed to have multiple copies. Wasn't too expensive either.

Yeah, despite the only piece of information WDMARVELCOMICS has received so far about the variants which seems to suggest that the Gold Edition had a lower print run/availability than the B&W cover, prices of the B&Ws are almost always higher than that of the Golds. Perhaps a chunk of the B&W copies are hoarded away some where, where as the Golds appear more frequently, thus suggesting the Golds having a lower value than the B&Ws? Or just that the Census shows only 20 copies of the B&W in 9.8 but 103 Golds in 9.8?

Almost every available online price guide puts the Gold Edition at a higher value than the B&W, which seems to agree with the information about them having a lower availability...

As for the Census, I still find it odd that only a month or two ago, it showed only about 48 copies of the Gold Edition in 9.8, but now it shows over 100... what's that about? Was there a huge increase in the submission rate of the Gold Editions for some reason? Or just resubmitted 9.6s that landed 9.8 in round two?

Or perhaps a lot of the B&Ws suffered shipping/handling damage thus explaining the lower Census numbers?

Really wish someone had some answers...

hm

Edit: Here's the exact Census information for both variants...

Gold Edition:

103 Universal, 1 Qualified and 10 Signature Series in 9.8 (none higher)

44 Universal and 5 SS in 9.6

16 Universal and 1 SS in 9.4

15 Universal in 9.2

5 Universal in 9.0

1 Universal in 8.0

B&W Edition (shows up as Variant Cover on the Census and CGC labels):

20 Universal in 9.8 (none higher)

44 Universal, 4 Qualified and 3 SS in 9.6

27 Universal and 2 SS in 9.4

11 Universal in 9.2

5 Universal in 9.0

5 Universal in 8.5

2 Universal in 8.0

1 Universal in 7.0

I picked up a Gold Edition (raw NM) at Wondercon a few years ago. The dealer seemed to have multiple copies. Wasn't too expensive either.

Yeah, despite the only piece of information WDMARVELCOMICS has received so far about the variants which seems to suggest that the Gold Edition had a lower print run/availability than the B&W cover, prices of the B&Ws are almost always higher than that of the Golds. Perhaps a chunk of the B&W copies are hoarded away some where, where as the Golds appear more frequently, thus suggesting the Golds having a lower value than the B&Ws? Or just that the Census shows only 20 copies of the B&W in 9.8 but 103 Golds in 9.8?

Almost every available online price guide puts the Gold Edition at a higher value than the B&W, which seems to agree with the information about them having a lower availability...

As for the Census, I still find it odd that only a month or two ago, it showed only about 48 copies of the Gold Edition in 9.8, but now it shows over 100... what's that about? Was there a huge increase in the submission rate of the Gold Editions for some reason? Or just resubmitted 9.6s that landed 9.8 in round two?

Or perhaps a lot of the B&Ws suffered shipping/handling damage thus explaining the lower Census numbers?

Really wish someone had some answers...

hm

Edit: Here's the exact Census information for both variants...

Gold Edition:

103 Universal, 1 Qualified and 10 Signature Series in 9.8 (none higher)

44 Universal and 5 SS in 9.6

16 Universal and 1 SS in 9.4

15 Universal in 9.2

5 Universal in 9.0

1 Universal in 8.0

B&W Edition (shows up as Variant Cover on the Census and CGC labels):

20 Universal in 9.8 (none higher)

44 Universal, 4 Qualified and 3 SS in 9.6

27 Universal and 2 SS in 9.4

11 Universal in 9.2

5 Universal in 9.0

5 Universal in 8.5

2 Universal in 8.0

1 Universal in 7.0

I think the Census might be a little off because it does seem really odd that the Gold 9.8s jumped up by 55 in less than a month.

I also think that a lot of people aren't getting the Black & Whites graded because they seem to be Condition Sensitive. All of the Copies I've seen at Shops and at Cons were all in VF/NM(9.0) or worse condition.

I don't know to much about the Golds because I've never seen one at a Shop or at a Con. I've only seen them online, well except for the 2 copies that were givin to me.

Can't believe I didn't think of this before:

I'm going to send Jeph York an email and see if he has any inside info on these variants....

Jeph York actually emailed me about my brothers copy of this book. Looks like he is going to cover this in Xmen Fatal Attractions Hard Cover Collection.

This is a copy of the email he sent

"Hi there! My name's Jeph York, and I'm a freelance editor for Marvel Comics' Collected Editions Department. I'm working on gathering bonus features for the upcoming "X-Men: Fatal Attractions" HC collection, and I'd like to run the B&W variant cover of X-Men #25.

Could I ask you to scan this comic's front & back covers for me?

We need 300 dpi images, scanned and saved as a .tif, with no compression -- and please leave a little 'white space' around all four sides. In return, I'd be happy to run your name in the book's Special Thanks section.

Would you be willing to help us out? Please drop me a line as soon as possible and let me know! Thanks, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

-Jeph York"

So it looks like all will be answered soon. (thumbs u

Can't believe I didn't think of this before:

I'm going to send Jeph York an email and see if he has any inside info on these variants....

Jeph York actually emailed me about my brothers copy of this book. Looks like he is going to cover this in Xmen Fatal Attractions Hard Cover Collection.

This is a copy of the email he sent

"Hi there! My name's Jeph York, and I'm a freelance editor for Marvel Comics' Collected Editions Department. I'm working on gathering bonus features for the upcoming "X-Men: Fatal Attractions" HC collection, and I'd like to run the B&W variant cover of X-Men #25.

Could I ask you to scan this comic's front & back covers for me?

We need 300 dpi images, scanned and saved as a .tif, with no compression -- and please leave a little 'white space' around all four sides. In return, I'd be happy to run your name in the book's Special Thanks section.

Would you be willing to help us out? Please drop me a line as soon as possible and let me know! Thanks, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

-Jeph York"

So it looks like all will be answered soon. (thumbs u

Jeph York has already been asked about these Variants and he doesn't know anything about the Print Run or How they were Distributed. The Bonus Section is only going to have the pictures of all the Fatal Attractions Covers including the 2 Variants. It's not going to have any other info on them.

Benjamin Grimm was the one who provided Jeph with the Scans of both of these Variants. Here's a link to his post, all the scans of the Variants that Jeph received from other people were to small so he couldn't use them. Here's a link to Ben's thread about the Fatal Attractions HC.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=244989&Number=5356785#Post5356785

I think CGC may know something we don't either. I was just checking out the points based on the grades.

Universal Gold = 120 points @ 9.8

Universal B&W = 80 points @ 9.8

That's interesting, I think the Gold might be the book the book to have and now would be the best time to get it while it's cheap!!

If a lot people start finding out that the Gold Cover has the Lower Print Run it might start selling for a lot more than the Black & White or the Black & White prices might start dropping.

I think CGC may know something we don't either. I was just checking out the points based on the grades.

Universal Gold = 120 points @ 9.8

Universal B&W = 80 points @ 9.8

That's interesting, I think the Gold might be the book the book to have and now would be the best time to get it while it's cheap!!

If a lot people start finding out that the Gold Cover has the Lower Print Run it might start selling for a lot more than the Black & White or the Black & White prices might start dropping.

The B&W variant cover went for $180 on CL.

We've had quite a few of all 3 covers. We keep submitting them trying to get all 3 covers in a 9.8 and have been successful with the Regular and gold covers. But the B&W keeps coming back in a 9.6 :cry: If anyone wants a B&W in a 9.6 just pm me and maybe we could work out a trade or someting.

I feel your pain, like I said before High Grade(9.8) copies of the Black & White are kind of hard to find. None of the Black & Whites I've seen in hand have been higher than a 9.0 condition and I've seen about 17 of them in hand.

I don't know much about the condition of the Gold Cover because I've never seen any of them in Shops or at a Con.