• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS show us your books from 1962

446 posts in this topic

Are Bob Hope comics in the "Rodney Dangerfield" category of comic books?

BOBH_77.jpg

But they deserve far more respect than they get!

Here are scans of some of my comics cover dated August 1962:

Aquaman4.jpg

15-11-201163240PM.jpg

16-08-201173540PM.jpg

14-08-201114401PM.jpg

10-06-201244947PM.jpg

07-06-201174455PM.jpg

:cool:

Here are scans of a few more of my comics cover dated July 1962:

BraveandBold42.jpg

25-06-2011101248PM.jpg

:cool:

Those are a couple neat covers I'd not seen before. Dr Sonar the conqueror of sound. :cloud9: Not too mention the B&B book. Some of the issues numbered in the early 40's are classics. :headbang:

Many years ago I ordered my first "old" Fantastic Fours from Howard Rogofsky....# 8 and 11. The 8 cost $ 7.50 and the 11 was $ 6.50 and they tooka couple of months to arrive. Man I was thrilled. I promptly taped BOTH their spines to "protect" them.....even though neither needed it. The 8 was cover dated November 62......on the stands in early August, though. Both are long gone but have since been replaced.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF8-4.jpg

FF8int.jpg

FF11.jpg

FF11int.jpg

Here are scans of a few more of my comics cover dated July 1962:

BraveandBold42.jpg

Those are a couple neat covers I'd not seen before.... Not too mention the B&B book. Some of the issues numbered in the early 40's are classics. :headbang:

The Brave & the Bold 42 actually won the Alley Award in fan balloting for the best comic cover of 1962!

Here are all the Alleys for 1962:

Best Comic Book of the Year -- Fantastic Four

(FF unseated JLA which had won the category in 1961.)

Best Editor of a Comics Group -- Julius Schwartz

Best -script Writer -- Gardner Fox

Best Pencil Artist -- Carmine Infantino

Best Inker -- Murphy Anderson

Best Hero -- Hawkman

Best Group of Heroes -- Fantastic Four

Best Villain -- Sub-Mariner

Best Supporting Character -- The Thing

Best Short Story -- “Origin of Spider-Man,” by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko, from AMAZING FANTASY 15

Best Book-Length Story -- “The Planet that Came to a Standstill,” by Gardner Fox & Carmine Infantino, from MYSTERY IN SPACE 75

{"Flash of Two Worlds from Flash 123 won the category in 1961.)

Best Single Comic Book Cover -- BRAVE AND THE BOLD 42, by Joe Kubert

(Flash 123 won in 1961.)

Comic Most in Need of Improvement -- BATMAN

Hero or Heroine Most Worthy of Revival -- The Spectre

:)

Many years ago I ordered my first "old" Fantastic Fours from Howard Rogofsky....# 8 and 11. The 8 cost $ 7.50 and the 11 was $ 6.50 and they tooka couple of months to arrive. Man I was thrilled. I promptly taped BOTH their spines to "protect" them.....even though neither needed it.

Wise! Preventative maintenance is a virtue.

Did you buy many other comics from Howard Rogofsky? How would you describe your experience with him overall?

???

Many years ago I ordered my first "old" Fantastic Fours from Howard Rogofsky....# 8 and 11. The 8 cost $ 7.50 and the 11 was $ 6.50 and they tooka couple of months to arrive. Man I was thrilled. I promptly taped BOTH their spines to "protect" them.....even though neither needed it.

Did you buy many other comics from Howard Rogofsky? How would you describe your experience with him overall?

???

.....I ordered from Rogofsky several times. The 8 and 11 were both probably VF (before I taped 'em :boo: ) .....but most often the books were VG. I stopped ordering from him after I discovered Comic Sales Company of Brooklyn and Crestohl (out of Canada). Comic Sales almost always sent high grade books and Crestohl was cheap and was never out of stock on the early stuff. Rogofsky was probably 50 % higher and I was on a newspaper boy's budget.My first FF 48 was exhorbitantly priced at 75 cents and was NM :cloud9: .....It was the same price as all the FF's from 41-50.....not even broken out as a key yet. Things were so simple then......but you could spend several years looking for a book. FF 5 was one of my last ones.....as was 28.....both super popular. I never got a 12 back then. My 5 was the most I'd ever paid for a comic.....$ 20......but it was NM. Wish I still had it. It really looked like a new book. GOD BLESS....

???

.....I ordered from Rogofsky several times. The 8 and 11 were both probably VF (before I taped 'em :boo: ) .....but most often the books were VG. I stopped ordering from him after I discovered Comic Sales Company of Brooklyn and Crestohl (out of Canada). Comic Sales almost always sent high grade books and Crestohl was cheap and was never out of stock on the early stuff. Rogofsky was probably 50 % higher and I was on a newspaper boy's budget.My first FF 48 was exhorbitantly priced at 75 cents and was NM :cloud9: .....It was the same price as all the FF's from 41-50.....not even broken out as a key yet. Things were so simple then......but you could spend several years looking for a book. FF 5 was one of my last ones.....as was 28.....both super popular. I never got a 12 back then. My 5 was the most I'd ever paid for a comic.....$ 20......but it was NM. Wish I still had it. It really looked like a new book. GOD BLESS....

Woah 2 months wait to get your first comics! Did you ever wonder if they had lost your order? :pullhair: I vaguely recall seeing 70's comics, but did not look too closely at them. I did spot a G.A. Superman for sale on the wall of a store in about 1972, but the asking price was a whopping $100, more than I could afford at the time.

I recall picking up a copy of Rip Hunter #9 just a couple of months after I got into collecting.

For me it was just the opposite. I didn't start pecking away at the Rip Hunter title until I was well advanced in many other DC titles.

I realized that had not posted my copy of Brave and Bold 44 yet.

That's the cover that I like least from the Hawkman Brave & the Bold run. It's a combination of three things - the theme of the cover and its composition don't appeal to me, the greytone wash effect doesn't work for me in this case and I don't like the wings that were added to Hawkman's headgear the previous issue.

(shrug)

I recall picking up a copy of Rip Hunter #9 just a couple of months after I got into collecting.

For me it was just the opposite. I didn't start pecking away at the Rip Hunter title until I was well advanced in many other DC titles.

I realized that had not posted my copy of Brave and Bold 44 yet.

That's the cover that I like least from the Hawkman Brave & the Bold run. It's a combination of three things - the theme of the cover and its composition don't appeal to me, the greytone wash effect doesn't work for me in this case and I don't like the wings that were added to Hawkman's headgear the previous issue.

(shrug)

We will have to agree to disagree. I think it has throwback to the 50's look, like Mystery in Space or Tales of the Unexpected. i had not really paid too much attention to the wings on his headgear until you mentioned it. hm