• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS show us your books from 1962

446 posts in this topic

You've got to admire Stan Lee's gall. Issue #3 and Marvel was probably only then getting preliminary sales results for issue #1 and he already had "The Greatest Comic Magazine in the World" emblazoned in large letters on the cover, a cover which at best was no great shakes! That though is precisely how Stan built Marvel's sales up to a position of preeminence over the decade of the sixties

And talk about predictive ability! Within a decade or so Fantastic Four 1 was the single most expensive comic from the Silver Age.

:grin:

Well, I always thought that cover has a quiet kind of impact. The Fantastic Car looking stalled in mid-air and a skyscrapers urban environment with a familiar atmosphere. An elusive sense of mystery and expectation which would be fully developed later on is already all there, like something slight behind the veil of sensible perception.

And not only "The greatest comics magazine", but "The greatest comics magazine in the World!"

Stan was the man. Well, he still is but you get what I mean. ;)

Well, actually I am in the Jack Kirby camp, as I also had the privilege to meet him at his home in 1991, but I have always though that their quarrels had nothing substantial about them, except the fact that the managment did not recognize so much the work of the artists back then. We know Stan always enjoyed to bask himself in the glow of the Marvel magic, but I have always believed that there was no serious element of discordance between them. It’s all quite understandable in perspective.

And Stan was already doing remarkably interesting things in his youth during wartime. I have no issue, but I’d like to read some of the Timely GA stories. "The Destroyer" et al… :)

My FF#3, the only 1962 issue I have among the early ones… :sorry:

Well, I have also a #8 but I have no scan at hand.

FantasticFourNo_003_f_1480px.jpg

:applause:

Thanks, I’m still unsure if I did right in buying this VG copy (which some color touch) instead of breaking out of the case the CGC 3.0 I already had:

FantasticFourNo_003_CGC_f.jpg

I did not care at all about slight color touches or repair, but after a year of acquaintance with the world of american collecing I have become a little paranoid with the various POVs over "restoration"… :sick:

It's odd, the DC's and the Marvels in this thread don't look as if they even come from the same eras. hm

Anyway, here's a December 1962 Flash that examines the common existential feeling of being turned into a puppet.

flash133.jpg

What is awesome is that late 1950s Kirby artwork often looks more mature than the early FF, and this must be related to who inked him.

That would have been Joe Simon who was Kirby's inker on the two issues of the Fly.

;)

It's odd, the DC's and the Marvels in this thread don't look as if they even come from the same eras.

DC covers had a characteristic clean polished look in the early sixties. It was a house style. Marvel's covers, on the other hand, were littered with all kinds of blurbs to catch the eye of kids perusing the newstand. A different philosophy entirely!

Anyway, here's a December 1962 Flash that examines the common existential feeling of being turned into a puppet.

flash133.jpg

Wow! That's a really nice copy!

(thumbs u

Here are scans of a few more of my comics from May 1962:

26-06-201125304PM.jpg

The above cover concept was in my opinion the absolute worst one that DC ever sprung on newstands. The more I learn about Batman's then editor Jack Schiff, the more convinced I become that he was the absolute worst comic editor of his generation.

BraveBold41.jpg

16-08-201173533PM.jpg

05-09-2011114042PM.jpg

10-06-201244939PM.jpg

18-05-2011110442PM.jpg

17-03-201390019PM_zpsb661cae4.jpg

14-08-201173541PM.jpg

26-05-201163235PM.jpg

02-07-201260903PM.jpg

:juggle: