• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Commiccon Dinner - time to sign up!

228 posts in this topic

For those who need a reminder:

When: Saturday, March 31, at 7:00 PM

Location: Daily Grill, 629 Pike Street, Seattle [Right across the street from the convention center where the Con is being held]

Menu

Starter

Daily Grill Mixed Green Salad

Creamy Italian Dressing

Caesar Salad

Hearts of Romaine, Crispy Croutons Tossed in our Caesar Dressing

Entrée Selection

Salmon Farfalle

Pan-Seared Salmon Served over Farfalle Pasta, Tossed with Asparagus,

Snow Peas and Capers in a Light Chardonnay Dill Cream Sauce

Chicken Piccata

Thin Sliced Chicken Breast Medallions, Topped with Lemon Butter Caper Sauce

Served with Herb Brown Rice and Chef’s Vegetable

Charbroiled Skirt Steak

A House Specialty, Marinated in Citrus Juices, Soy Sauce and Special Seasonings

Served with Red Skin Mashed Potatoes and Chef’s Vegetable

*Grilled Vegetable Plate available upon request

Desserts

Seasonal Fruit Cobbler

Topped with French Vanilla Ice Cream

Price: $34

Plus 20% gratuity and local tax

If you are a member of CBCA you will get $10 off the cost of your meal! Please chime in if you are a member.

Also, if you have not already done so, please sign up. So JJ please indicate if you're coming or you won't get through the big guy by the velvet rope. :sumo:

What if you were railroaded out of the organization? Is my dinner free?

:cry: Take it up with Zipper and Mike! :sumo:

Soooooo, why are CBCA members getting the $10 off?

Because it's a CBCA co-sponsored event and they decided to give members a discount.

Sorry, I missed that little gem.

Is there a problem?

Unfortunately, there is.

May I ask what the problem is, Joey? The CBCA is not the NoD.

I am not sure what the organization has done to cause people to thread in Claudio's forum dinner thread. If there's sugestions on how we can improve the organization, feel free to let us know.

A step in the right direction would NOT be having a dinner where non-members pay $10 more. If that was the case to begin with, it would have been best for the CBCA to just have their own private dinner. Sorry Mike, it struck a primal nerve with me.

Thanks for the reply, Joey. I will discuss your concern with the other officers. (thumbs u

I simply can't believe there are people making an issue of this.

As a CBCA member, Claudio approached us months ago and mentioned he wanted to include the CBCA as part of the annual dinner he organized. We approved and at the time said we would work out some sort of discount for members. Once he got back to us with particulars, the leadership decided that the organziation would subsidize a portion of the cost for CBCA members... the same thing we did at our NYC dinners.

Non members are not paying a penny more than they would otherwise. The CBCA is chipping in the extra $10 for its members and their guests as a membership perk.

It's really as simple as that and it's as plain as day in the first post of the thread.

Thank you Claudio for organizing this.

Please remove my name from the list as I will not be attending. This has nothing to do with each individual attendee, but an oversight on my part in not reading the first post in the thread.

Please remove my name from the list as I will not be attending. This has nothing to do with each individual attendee, but an oversight on my part in not reading the first post in the thread.

I'd like to say a few things and I'm speaking here as an individual and not as a representative of the CBCA.

Joey did in fact get railroaded out of the old NOD organization. It was a petty, bullsh-it move by a couple of then directors that had their own agenda, and it was done without any real input from the membership. I was just a regular member at the time. I had joined the organization because I thought it was trying to help the hobby. After several incidents I was becoming disenchanted with the organization, feeling that it was becoming too negative. The Joey incident was the last straw for me and I very nearly quit the organization.

But instead I decided to get more involved and do something about it. I wasn't alone in my thinking and so a group of us worked to dismantle NOD and create a new organization that would actually be a positive for the hobby not a negative. That's how the CBCA was born. The people that were responsible for the negativity that NOD came to respresent and the people that were responsible for the way Joey was treated are all long gone. CBCA is not NOD. NOD is gone. It's dead and buried. CBCA is a completely different organization, with a completely different mission and goals and with an entirely different leadership.

Those of you who hated the old NOD and what it represented got your wish---it's dead---and personally I'm glad. But, if you all hated it so much, why do you keep digging up its corpse? Why not learn to take "Yes" for answer and join the rest of us in trying to do something positive instead of doing the same thing that everyone complained about NOD doing---creating negativity where none needs to exist.

Joey, I really mean this. I am truly sorry for what happened to you. I thought it was wrong then and I think it was wrong now. But the people who were responsible have nothing to do with the CBCA or its leadership. NOD and the the baggage that went with it are a thing of the past. I want you to know that I was very, very appreciative of the fact that you were willing to help us last year. I had hoped that maybe it meant we we're all starting to put the past behind us. Obviously you still have some resentment and I don't blame you, but I truly hope that at some point we can bury this hatchet and move on. If you ever decide that you can, I for one would very much welcome it.

Best,

Jeff

I'd like to say a few things and I'm speaking here as an individual and not as a representative of the CBCA.

Joey did in fact get railroaded out of the old NOD organization. It was a petty, bullsh-it move by a couple of then directors that had their own agenda, and it was done without any real input from the membership. I was just a regular member at the time. I had joined the organization because I thought it was trying to help the hobby. After several incidents I was becoming disenchanted with the organization, feeling that it was becoming too negative. The Joey incident was the last straw for me and I very nearly quit the organization.

But instead I decided to get more involved and do something about it. I wasn't alone in my thinking and so a group of us worked to dismantle NOD and create a new organization that would actually be a positive for the hobby not a negative. That's how the CBCA was born. The people that were responsible for the negativity that NOD came to respresent and the people that were responsible for the way Joey was treated are all long gone. CBCA is not NOD. NOD is gone. It's dead and buried. CBCA is a completely different organization, with a completely different mission and goals and with an entirely different leadership.

Those of you who hated the old NOD and what it represented got your wish---it's dead---and personally I'm glad. But, if you all hated it so much, why do you keep digging up its corpse? Why not learn to take "Yes" for answer and join the rest of us in trying to do something positive instead of doing the same thing that everyone complained about NOD doing---creating negativity where none needs to exist.

Joey, I really mean this. I am truly sorry for what happened to you. I thought it was wrong then and I think it was wrong now. But the people who were responsible have nothing to do with the CBCA or its leadership. NOD and the the baggage that went with it are a thing of the past. I want you to know that I was very, very appreciative of the fact that you were willing to help us last year. I had hoped that maybe it meant we we're all starting to put the past behind us. Obviously you still have some resentment and I don't blame you, but I truly hope that at some point we can bury this hatchet and move on. If you ever decide that you can, I for one would very much welcome it.

Best,

Jeff

You know I have no problem breaking bread with you Jeff.

Its hard to get over wounds sometimes. But it sounds like there is a good, strong and positive group working in the CBCA. They may have to work extra hard to woo back and prove that things are different for old NOD members.

I only hope that nothing that happened in the past will detract from your current convention experience Joey. I don't even know you... but want to hear that you have had a good con experience in Seattle. You and everyone else too.

2c

Joey,

Sorry to see you remove yourself from the list. I was looking forward to having a meal with you.

John

Joey,

Sorry to see you remove yourself from the list. I was looking forward to having a meal with you.

John

We can always grab lunch together one of the days.

Updated to reflect my currently known headcount.

So far we have 19 that have signed up (or at least tentatively).

JazzMan +1

wolf_2099

Worldsbestcomics +2 (Worldsbestwife + Worldsbestson)

CycleGirl +1

MastrCntrlProgram

greggy :facepalm:

Menace +1

Designer Toast :banana:

SPDREYCER +1 (thumbs u

jbud73

Rocketeer

jeBailey

sborock

I'm sorry to see this resurrected old feelings. Our little get-together is nothing more than an opportunity to chat and enjoy each others company and talk about comics. I'm sorry to see Joey remove himself from the gathering since I really enjoyed spending some time with you at last year's event. :sorry:

My sole intent of organizing these forum dinners is to bring us together and have an opportunity to hang out with folks that we don't normally get to meet. I don't have the history with NOD, I wasn't part of it, nor did I know any of the past drama that was associated with some members of NOD. Together with a few other CGC board members are part of CBCA which, from my perspective, is drama-less and whose sole intent is to move the hobby ahead.

For those that will attend, let's enjoy ourselves and say a toast to those who can't make it on Saturday night. Everyone is welcomed.

Joey,

John

The forumite dinner is not the only chance to break bread together. Don't forget, its a 3 day show :applause:

I see it now. Hey, Joey, we met once last year briefly and I don't know you that well at all. And I hope you reconsider joining us Saturday. :foryou:

If nto and if I don;t run into you, enjoy the weekend and the show.

I'm sorry to see this resurrected old feelings. Our little get-together is nothing more than an opportunity to chat and enjoy each others company and talk about comics. I'm sorry to see Joey remove himself from the gathering since I really enjoyed spending some time with you at last year's event. :sorry:

My sole intent of organizing these forum dinners is to bring us together and have an opportunity to hang out with folks that we don't normally get to meet. I don't have the history with NOD, I wasn't part of it, nor did I know any of the past drama that was associated with some members of NOD. Together with a few other CGC board members are part of CBCA which, from my perspective, is drama-less and whose sole intent is to move the hobby ahead.

For those that will attend, let's enjoy ourselves and say a toast to those who can't make it on Saturday night. Everyone is welcomed.

This really has nothing to do with old feelings. None of the individuals involved with the whole NOD mess will be at the dinner, and as far as the CBCA is involved, I do not have an issue with anyone. I am pretty sure every CBCA member knows that.

What hit a nerve with me was the discount for CBCA members. While well within your right to do, the way it was done was tacky. Very tacky. Why did it need to be broadcast to everyone involved? Why could that little nugget of information not be shared via a private PM?

Hey Joey!

I know there aren't any hard feelings on your end, and I get the frustration / irritation you're feeling. And like Jeff, I'm speaking just as a bystander here, even though I am involved in the group. I'm getting ready to attend some conferences (April is the big month for it) and at one of them, it's pretty heavily advertised that previous members of the organization pay about 10% or so less than non-members... which translates to about a $15 discount. It's advertised as an incentive for people join the organization because, when taking the discount off annual dues, they end up only paying around $$25 for membership fees after this discount is applied. It's not a lot, but it's something. Since JazzMan was pretty upfront about this being a CBCA sponsored event, it seemed like a nice thing to do for the membership AND an incentive for others to consider joining as well. I know offered the same to those in attendance at the NY Show as well (which I also couldn't attend. :( )

But I'd like to let you know I appreciate your even-handed response just now. I remember the infamous NOD thread and the flaming that went with it, and it was a real turn off to me. So again, I appreciate your not equating the two organizations, as I see them as being very different from one another in purpose and tone. And I get not liking the idea of organizations offering discounts to members--it works for some but not all. I'm personally okay with it, but I understand not everyone will be.

In any event, I do hope you (and everyone else!!!) will post some fun pics for those of us who will be home on daddy duty! :grin:

If I were you, I'll worry about your pass first.

Still can't find those pins. But I know you'll be a pal and hook me up...plus, I will be working the 2012 Olympic Trials so pin opportunities for you increase substantially.

Still can't find those pins. But I know you'll be a pal and hook me up...plus, I will be working the 2012 Olympic Trials so pin opportunities for you increase substantially.

I don't really care if I get any pins or not. :whee:

Are they in Eugene? How does one get tickets to that event?

Jerome

Put me down for dinner, I am now 99% sure I can make it. :banana:

Dinner lol I have my reservations that you will make it through the afternoon liquid lunch cocktails, let alone the pre-dinner cocktails, but Dinner :insane:

Still hm could be good for a break before proper evening drinking develops.