• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Life's lessons and addictions

25 posts in this topic

My collecting began at the age of 12 back in '86 before girls became an issue. I remeber crazy things like GI Joe #2 selling for $80 because of supposedly "low print run". For years, Ninja Turtles, Batman and X-Men were the rage. Anything Todd MacFarlane soon took over and all the hype over Spider-man #1. I pretty much stopped around 1991 when college took priority. I wish I had bought that X-men Giant Size #1 NM- for $120 that sat in the display case at my LCS before I dropped out.

I think it was 1997 when my storage locker, with all my longboxes, was broken into and everything stolen. Man was I bitter... still am to a degree. A blessing in disguise? I bought some really nice keys at cover price, but also a lot of junk (from an investment POV). 15 years later and I am slowly creeping back into the hobby. Like a narcotic, comics are never really out of your system.

Crazy anectdotes anyone?

Welcome to the Boards.

I've been addicted to comics in one way or another since about '79 when I was 9.

I've been addicted to the Boards since summer '07.

Similar experience with collecting sports cards. I had a break-in while I was out of town and about 35k worth of sports cards were stolen. This was before grading so I would imagine the value being twice as much these days as these were hi-grade, vintage cards. Anyway, didn't have the heart to stay with the hobby after that.

As far as comics, I got out of the hobby back in the late 70's-early'80s. This was around the time I thought the story telling was going downhill and prices were going up for each title. Sold everything at a discount to this one dealer (who eventually tried to screw me out of my money). Same deal. Just couldn't get back into the hobby.

So after 30+ years, I'm back, but only on a limited level. I still don't buy a lot of books, but I do like the BA Bats stuff. Got plenty of other hobbies when the family is not taking up all my time.

Welcome Carey. You and I must be the same age! I remember the GIJOE 2 insanity as well...and a LCS selling me a 2nd print at a high cost and telling me it was 1st print. Lesson learned.

Luckily someone sat me down and said "the real collecting comes with Golden and Silver age"...so I began buying that stuff at a very very young age. My first big score was a buddy's dad that sold me his original owner collection of early silver age Marvels...high grade run of Spideys from issue 2-30, an almost complete run of Strange Tales, X-Men 2-20, etc. He was genius enough to keep the first issues haha!

I have been in and out of the hobby for years...got taken badly by a LCS when I went to college and felt so jilted I wanted out for good...but here I am several years later with an insane collection that put my original to shame.

Again, welcome.

It's funny what comes out when something random jogs your memory. Along the lines of a-boy-helps-wash-his-father's-porsche-with-rocks, I remember I was sorting some comics and had them casually laying out when my 4 y.o. daughter reached for my raw copy of ASM 21 NM and said "Ooooo what's that daddy?"... disaster narrowly averted.

Comic books are like women.

They're expensive, fun to look at and even more rewarding to touch.

You always want more than one, and you have to be careful when you handle them because if you bend them out of shape, it can cause permanent damage.

Addictive? Yep.

WTTB

You always want more than one, and you have to be careful when you handle them because if you bend them out of shape, it can cause permanent damage.

Addictive? Yep.

WTTB

And where do you stand on the smell Dr? hm

Addictive? Yep.

WTTB

And where do you stand on the smell Dr? hm

If they smell old and musty, look but don't touch.

the theory holds true if I can trade one silver age 8.0 for two modern 9.9's...

Silver ages are a better all-around investment, but the moderns are tight and glossy.