• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

Every time I go to post something, fishbone's already said it. This isn't really a case of a misunderstanding. Sounds more like MM wants to be an Internet person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and a nice guy in person. So I should reserve judgement on everyone who posts here until I meet them in person? Seems like a high standard since I'll never meet most people.

It's not a case of being nice to the new guy either. In my time on the boards, I've never seen anyone else: 1) act the way that MM has on here; or 2) received the flak that MM has. #2 is directly related to #1. GA is generally an extremely welcoming and open community. So the characterization that the community is being harsh is an unfair one.

David, I couldn't agree with you more. But, there is no "misconception" possible with Mitch's rants. Hell, he is a trained lawyer, isn't he? We are not talking about a lack of intelligence here, but a lack of respect is the sense I get. Listen, I'm not going to beat a dead horse, I'm sure he's a hell of a guy in person, but these are message boards and your words ARE who you are here. How could he not be aware of that fact? He even goes so far as to say, and I paraphrase, " I am who I am, take it or leave it", as if to say he will continue to show disrespect HERE (not face-to-face at ComicCon) and F all of you. Sorry, that's the way I see it, I hope HE'LL see it one day.

I can't speak to Mitch's training, but he communicates well with a lot less bravado in person. hm

He is a passionate collector, trust me on that.

The concept that words ARE who you are here only goes so far; it's great for impressions on a board, but can't provide much insight into how folks conduct themselves in real life, ...and if you ever do business with them, that's what matters.

Also, I can't recall Mitchell ever saying F all of you, but folks are free to interpret his posts however they choose.

I've met Mitch. His posts are pure poo poo.

(tsk) Potty training takes time and patience. :grin:

So, Richard, what are your impressions of the man you actually met?

Don't hold back now.

Remember, I've met you too; you're nothing like your snarky board personae. :baiting:

Remember, I've met you too; you're nothing like your snarky board personae. :baiting:
Actually, he is. But you knew that. I'd say most people are like their board persona.

Ironically, i might be worse(arrogant/sarcastic/elitist, etc..) in the real world because often I paused, reread and deleted/edited my posts here but in the real world, my mouth will run faster than my political correctness portion of my brain.

Listen, I really don't want to "go off" on anyone, but I had had enough. I know Mitch's history, and I know how some may choose not to post their comic collection here, I get that. I choose to post everything because I am proud of my collection, and I know fellow boardies enjoy seeing these gems, every copy of them, even if they've seen hundreds of others over many years - it just never gets old seeing a beautiful GA book posted. Yes, my grails are restored for the most part, but I at least can say I own an Action#1, a Tec#27, etc. Mitch, when you post such derrogatory comments, I feel you are personally attacking me and many other respected boardies on here. And you need to stop. I haven't been contributing to the Boards lately, even though I have some beauties I'd like to share, because any thread of substance seems to eventually get hijacked by your poor deportment. And I don't feel that enough of us are taking a stand to stop the vitriolic, insulting, and sometimes downright idiotic posts. You can post your opinions, but you just can't post as if your opinion is the only valid one.You are a historical figure in GA history, but you've been given almost free reign in so many threads to post your comments in a most inappropriate way, not in a way that respects these Boards and it's members. Yes, I could ignore him - but I've been ignoring him for half-a-year now, and I'm still reading the same mess. Mitch, please try to respect collectors of all types and experience, of all values and beliefs, and be a bit - no, alot! - more respectful on here. That's all I ask, and maybe I can appreciate more your experience and insight the way I do others on here, like Gator and Bedrock and Comicdonna and el. I'd like to enjoy these Boards again, and I'd like to enjoy your (respectful) comments and insights. Is that too much to ask? (shrug)

Just don't get involved in the conversation. It's not like your words will change anyone's opinion and the conversation has devolved into the typical Comics General debate framework of unyielding dogmatism.

For all the Mitch-haters detractors, a few words urging restraint.

Before judging anyone with a shared interest by message board rhetoric and etiquette, the better course would be to make some effort to either meet the person or at least discuss mutual collecting interest with them in a PM.

As a veteran of several highly charged, very opinionated message boards (audio, film and political, both moderated and unmoderated) I know how polarizing disagreements can be; I have the wounds to prove it. And from my experience one consistent fact emerges: Folks who I disagreed with vehemently on various message boards rarely behave in person as they're perceived on the boards. That's probably because message boards release frustrations and subordinated Alpha male/female attitudes while seeking acclamation.

No one wants to be perceived as weak or having their opinions fold-up like a cheap lawn chair every time a differing POV pushes their's aside. That's human nature, it's also how vigorous discussion and debate usually works. Of course some folks have an easier time communicating in a heated environment than others, but whether one antes-up or passes, no one should take it personally.

It's like the kid who moves in down the street mid-term during the school year. If he doesn't get out in front and show the other kids that he's just as tough as they are he's never going to fit in at school, even if he was top dog at his old school (yes, perhaps the old school analogy might be all too appropo in Mitch's case, but let's not go there because I'm a graduate too).

My point isn't just about Mitch, it's about how we treat each other generally. What I'm suggesting in the politest way possible is that we're all judged, and often misjudged to a greater or lesser extent, because the written word or style of the writer doesn't send the same message as face to face communication.

The best part of actually meeting someone you have preconceived notions about, is that once you've met the person, it's much easier to understand their board behavior or excuse various idiosyncrasies and personal foibles. Now if only I can find folks who'll excuse my pompous rhetoric. hm

Peace, brothers and sisters, and good night. :foryou:

Pure poo poo thats right. Mehdy initiated the brown holder (Blue label with stains) for restored t-o-i-l-e-t p-a-p-e-r.

I can understand board members here who have bought into the restored comic book is ok theory . Spending a couple of hundred dollars to fill in a collection hole is fine by me. Spending $ 150,000.00 is another thing all together. I suspect the S word is at work here

Mr. S pays record price for restored comic book, that is the true headline.

Here is my take

The person who spends as much money as a minimum wage worker who lworks 15,000 hours and that does not even count taxs and social security so add

A couple more thousand hours to that total on a restored comic book is clearly a speculator who has visions of millions of dolllars in his or here pockets.

It is my opinion that you, mr speculator ,you have just bitten yourself in the asssssd on this one. If you get luckily to find somebody looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and remember a sucker is born every miniute, for 100k or 120 k then head to the hills with your restored tail between your speculator legs. I do not buy the story going around that you had a emergency and had to take your doggie to the pet hospital.

We encountered your kind years ago when you pumped up the market on one million spiderman 1's. A true comic book collector holds and a speculator sells when the wind changes direction.

Mr speculator, yes money is to be made by collectors holding books and enjoying them. But your kind is the worst

Don't hold back now.

My impression...

I thought he was distracted and that he had more important things to do then have a conversation with me. He asked me a question and then split before hearing the answer. It was San Diego. I understand there are a lot of distractions at the show so no big deal. And I'm probably pretty boring in person anyway. Other than that, he was clean, shaven, and didn't smell.

Listen, I have no problem with the investment inanities of a majority of Mitch's posts. What I have a problem with is the attitude that one collector is more valid than another simply because of the books he possesses. That is pure B.S. There are so many folks on here who have a genuine passion for the art-form, the medium of comic books, who for whatever reason don't own expensive high grade key books. That does not make their opinion any less valid. Based on Mitch's posts he would on Scrooge's books. But Scrooge has a love for collecting that Mitch will never have. Or what about Boot. Mitch would turn and run from Boot's esoteric accumulation of comic weirdness. But Boot has an appreciation which Mitch could never comprehend. Take it a step further and think of all the folks who have posted one single golden age comic in this forum, their first or only old comic. There is no more prized thing than the first old comic of a collector. So when Mitch says,

I can wipe my ASSSS with your comic book collection
I take exception to that. Mitch can use his own comics to wipe his if he wants to. But the rest of us love our comics too much to use them for wiping.

Don't hold back now.

My impression...

I thought he was distracted and that he had more important things to do then have a conversation with me. He asked me a question and then split before hearing the answer. It was San Diego. I understand there are a lot of distractions at the show so no big deal. And I'm probably pretty boring in person anyway. Other than that, he was clean, shaven, and didn't smell.

Listen, I have no problem with the investment inanities of a majority of Mitch's posts. What I have a problem with is the attitude that one collector is more valid than another simply because of the books he possesses. That is pure B.S. There are so many folks on here who have a genuine passion for the art-form, the medium of comic books, who for whatever reason don't own expensive high grade key books. That does not make their opinion any less valid. Based on Mitch's posts he would on Scrooge's books. But Scrooge has a love for collecting that Mitch will never have. Or what about Boot. Mitch would turn and run from Boot's esoteric accumulation of comic weirdness. But Boot has an appreciation which Mitch could never comprehend. Take it a step further and think of all the folks who have posted one single golden age comic in this forum, their first or only old comic. There is no more prized thing than the first old comic of a collector. So when Mitch says,

I take exception to that. Mitch can use his own comics to wipe his if he wants to. But the rest of us love our comics too much to use them for wiping.

+ 1 :applause:

lol If he tried it with mine, he'd have a very raw asss by the time he was done.

Actually, he is. But you knew that. I'd say most people are like their board persona.

Sorry, I just can't agree with that. :slapfight:

The Richard Evans I've become acquainted with over this past year is clever, relatively quiet, patient, and very comfortable in his own skin. Yes, he's occasionally snarky (aren't we all?), but in a mild-mannered Clark Kentish manner in person.

OTOH, Rich's board face comes across as more aggressive and take command, not in a bad way at all, but it presents a different mental image. It's sort of like Bambi meets R. Lee Ermey. :o

Of course others may know Rich in his Full Monte Superman role, able to leap tall bidders in a single bound, with all that mild-mannered veneer stripped away, but that's a topic for a different thread. :blush:

Seriously, from other boards I've had the fortune of meeting numerous folks who held totally different views than my own, even ideologues whose on-line opinions were insulting and demeaning in the most aggressive, verbally abusive manner imaginable. Even though we had strong opposing political perspectives there was none of that posturing in person; we became friends. I've found that boards tend to bring out the best and worst in folks, amplifying the most passionately held views, but rarely reflecting how folks behave in public.

Of course, everone's mileage varies. :foryou:

Mr. S pays record price for restored comic book, that is the true headline.

Here is my take

The person who spends as much money as a minimum wage worker who lworks 15,000 hours and that does not even count taxs and social security so add

A couple more thousand hours to that total on a restored comic book is clearly a speculator who has visions of millions of dolllars in his or here pockets.

It is my opinion that you, mr speculator ,you have just bitten yourself in the asssssd on this one. If you get luckily to find somebody looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and remember a sucker is born every miniute, for 100k or 120 k then head to the hills with your restored tail between your speculator legs. I do not buy the story going around that you had a emergency and had to take your doggie to the pet hospital.

We encountered your kind years ago when you pumped up the market on one million spiderman 1's. A true comic book collector holds and a speculator sells when the wind changes direction.

Mr speculator, yes money is to be made by collectors holding books and enjoying them. But your kind is the worst

You are really doubling down on being a prikk, here.

David, there is a huge difference between acting a little more "over the top" while participating in an online forum then how we act in our real lives. We all do to some extent.

And another to say things online that you most likely would NEVER say to somebody's face.

Mitch is allowed a voice here as we all are, but do not be so surprised when he insights vitriolic reactions stemming from how he chooses to present himself here.

It may take Mitch awhile, but in time I hope he comes to grip with the simple fact that everyone is not here to listen to, and kowtow to him.

Once he realizes that, he may calm down and behave here, like he would in person.

But enough about him, back to the rest of what the GA forum is good at.

Old Funny Books.