• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

It is more frustration than anger. I am in this for life, I believe that comic collectors need to do that-collect comics and price yes is part collecting life. I do not know who bought this book, but my concern is long term stability in our comic book world.

Things are going great now. We need to draw the line as to what really is acceptable and valuable down the collecting road for the next 20 years.

Somebody needs to take a stand and not let things just go on with so much confusion and anger.we need to stick together as we are in the same boat.

This action comics #1 is good comic book for the record, its just nowhere near a $150,000.00 comic book, and if it really is...we are in trouble

That moderate 8.0 will get it's 150,000. Especially with that Ext(P) 7.0 approaching 80,000 on eBay with 5 days left. (thumbs u

150k for an 8.0 mod will be a steal in the NEAR future.

BC some really comments. I agree that "life" sometimes is not fair. our collecting world. I wish it was. CGC does have a lot of power in our collecting world, but they have done soooo much good and created stablity in real tough world.

Nothing is perfect, but heck...things have never been better in my opinion and never so exciting since 1970's. :golfclap:

AMS....150K for sure...no way....too much good stuff coming out.

I am with Bluechip. There is definitely some agenda here with MM (and now a sidekick?). Something smells very very foul on these Boards, I'm just not smart enough to figure it out, but it's not right here anymore. Nobody cares THAT much about teaching people how to invest in comics that, out of the goodness of his heart and vastness of his knowledge, he continues to pound away day after day, spending vast amounts of time on here. And who would defend these utterly disrespectful, grammatically-challenged and barely-coherent posts while the MAN in question goes about his business with not a hint of understanding or care for my and (most of) our concerns regarding his behaviour here???? All I can say is "wow". Maybe I will try Comics General for a change, or has that been hijacked as well?

BC some really comments. I agree that "life" sometimes is not fair. our collecting world. I wish it was. CGC does have a lot of power in our collecting world, but they have done soooo much good and created stablity in real tough world.

Nothing is perfect, but heck...things have never been better in my opinion and never so exciting since 1970's. :golfclap:

AMS....150K for sure...no way....too much good stuff coming out.

If that's your personal opinion, fine. But you are talking about books that are not only disclosed but are IN the purple slabs you consider so important, and yet people buying them willingly and with sound mind and deep pockets. Just because you wouldn't buy it yourself doesn't give you or anyone the authority or the legal right to malicious interfere with the sales. it is no small indication of your agenda that your attacks on items extends beyond restored books to include mid grade and low grade books, even rare and important ones.

As I said, there is a giant different between warning people that you think something's a bad investment and making clear and obvious efforts to cause it to be a bad investment.

One, as you would say, is "acceptable: and the other is most definitely not. Personal avoidance and private honest advice are acceptable. Public and malicious attempts to ruin sales between third parties are not.

Mitch,

I know the person who bought the 8.0 MP out of the Heritage auction last year fairly well, and most of your assumptions are not correct. The 8.0 MP is NOT the first Action 1 he has ever owned, and if I had to guess it probably will not be the last. The 2.2mil 9.0 sale is irrelevant when discussing what was paid for an 8.0 MP. The 9.0 sale actually happened 6 months after the 8.0 MP was purchased anyway and could not have played any part in the price that was paid for the 8.0 MP.

I don't want to speak for him (or anyone) but I think his primary reason for buying was not "investment" or "speculation" so much as it was that he wanted to own an Action 1. But if any Action 1 sales were used by the buyer to determine what he was willing to pay for the 8.0 MP I would imagine it was probably other restored sales such as the 6.5 MP that sold for $143k or the similar priced paid (years ago) for the 9.0 MP or any of the other public/private sales for restored AC 1s in recent years in the $100k+ price range. Not any of the 1.5/2.2mil sales.

I've never made my own feelings about restored books a secret. And personally I have been steering away from most restored books in recent years when I can afford to buy unrestored copies instead. But to call all restored books (especially all restored Action 1s) a bad investment I think is a mistake. With low grade (3.0-4.0 copies) Action 1s selling in the $300k-$450k range I look at a nice high grade restored Action 1 in the $140k-$150k range and can't imagine it going anywhere but UP in value!

Someone is going to wind up buying that book before long. And while I don't claim to be able to predict the future, assuming the book gets put it away for a few years I am going to guess that it will turn out to be a good investment for whoever buys it. There are only so many Action 1s to go around! And in this price range there are less and less of them!

If anything, the ever increasing prices paid for low to mid grade unrestored copies will continue to drag up the prices on restored copies too!

I don't know if it was fishbone or somebody else, but someone said that overstreet has always said buy the best and skip the rest or words to that effect, but that is mistaken. In fact, for a very long time overstreet maintained that an investor in quality (content quality) books would do well with books in any grade. But some collecters mobilized to create the concept of the "investment grade" books - initially, just to justify the high prices which became significant when books reached high levels of value (even at a mere 1-3 gap between the value of good to mint). That was okay enough, but then some in the hobby decided it meant not only that better condition books would bring you more returns for a bigger initial investment, but they further decided they must undermine the value of all other books, beating an endless drum that anything except what they own will bring not just lesser returns but no returns at all.

When a solid action 1 6.5 - 7.5 comes to the market, it will hit 750k.

It wont be long until a high grade slight(p) or mod(p) 8.5+ breaks 350k.

155,000$ for the Mod(P) 8.0 will be a steal considering it has sold for 149k previously. Remember it sold for only 65k in 2007. Same book sold for 149k in 2011. It more than doubled in that short amount of time.

My first 2 predictions happen by 2014.

I don't know if it was fishbone or somebody else, but someone said that overstreet has always said buy the best and skip the rest or words to that effect, but that is mistaken.

I'm not sure who said it, but whether or not it was attributed to the right person I don't think that is necessarily bad advice except for the part about skipping the rest! There is a long history in this hobby that shows that people who buy the best generally are the ones who see the best returns. (I doubt it will be all that long before a 9.0 Action 1 is worth $5mil and the person that bought it for 2.2mil recently will look like a genius) But if you can't afford to buy the best copy I also think another good strategy is to buy the copy that is the most affordable. There is NO shortage of people looking for Action 1s, Tec 27s, AF 15s etc that don't have millions of dollars to spend.

The highest graded copies will always draw in the people with the deepest pockets which will net you the best price. The most affordable copies will always draw in the largest pool of potential buyers, which will also help you net a good price if/when you go to sell.

Overstreet whom I have met, did help shape my collecting world BC. Talk about power this guy had the whole hobby by the "balls" for years. It was rumored that he would hold back the price of books he did not yet have, I never said it, it was talked about.

Maybe that is where my viewpoint comes from. I always liked bob and believe me he was for comic book collecting all the way, until geppi threw a lot of money to him, you cannot blame him, but somehow I think guide became more about ads, than comic book prices.

Time moves on...

AMF, I hope EVERYBODY wins, and will remind you in 2014 that you were right, I just have a feeling that 350K for a restored book in less than two years in not gonna happen.

155,000$ for the Mod(P) 8.0 will be a steal considering it has sold for 149k previously. Remember it sold for only 65k in 2007. Same book sold for 149k in 2011. It more than doubled in that short amount of time.

I agree completely with all three statements. I know someone who would pay $750k for an Action 1 6.5 right now if one were available. I think a 7.5 would have no trouble breaking $1mil today.

I agree completely with all three statements. I know someone who would pay $750k for an Action 1 6.5 right now if one were available. I think a 7.5 would have no trouble breaking $1mil today.

Restored keys demand will increase tremendously for GA. There will be a time where a restored Slight(p)/Mod(p) book will command at least 50% of a blue label when it comes to action 1/tec 27.

we might be finding out sooner than you think, may ha.com auction catalog cover is action 1....check out the website.

THAT would be exciting! a mid/high grade unrestored Action 1 in a no reserve auction? :cloud9:

It is more frustration than anger. I am in this for life, I believe that comic collectors need to do that-collect comics and price yes is part collecting life. I do not know who bought this book, but my concern is long term stability in our comic book world.

Things are going great now. We need to draw the line as to what really is acceptable and valuable down the collecting road for the next 20 years.

Somebody needs to take a stand and not let things just go on with so much confusion and anger.we need to stick together as we are in the same boat.

This action comics #1 is good comic book for the record, its just nowhere near a $150,000.00 comic book, and if it really is...we are in trouble

We,and especially you Mitch,don't need to figure out values and what's acceptable in restored books-the open market will do that.From my vantage point you are the very last person I would take any advice from regarding restored books.You have an agenda to destroy them all.You don't collect them and see little to no value in them despite the myriad of collectors exemplifying all the reasons they love and value their restored treasures.