• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore Sues Robert Kirkman over Walking Dead Proceeds

206 posts in this topic

Will this have an impact on the show or the book?

(shrug) best question yet! Wouldn't it suck if the book just suddenly stopped at a point where they really leave you hanging wondering WTF is going to happen next ... doh!

Emerald city may be a little awkward. What do you guys think it'll do to Moore signing WD books? Will he continue charging (likely) or refuse at all?

I am wondering who to get my books signed by first ...I think getting signed first by tony may be the safe bet & then by kirkman ... (shrug)

It's possible to say that, if Tony Moore had continued to stay on "The Walking Dead" as an artist, it may never have gained the momentum due to a potentially slow or inconsistant publishing schedule related to his ability or inability to keep up with a monthly title, and therefore the success may never had occurred beyond being a critical success as opposed to the current commercial success.

I hope Charlie Adlard has some sort of compensation plan that is considerate of his contributions, since in a way, his ability to hit deadlines as well as relay the gritty mood of "The Walking Dead" essentially created the more popular look and feel to the title.

There's no trademark on Zombies... maybe Tony Moore should get competitive and create a similar book to creatively go head to head against Kirkman's The Walking Dead... maybe call it "The Running Dead" :)

Kind of sounds like what was depicted in "The Social Network" in regards to Facebook - When Saverin signed some papers that he thought were in his benefit but ended up being tricked out of his stock in Facebook.

Zuckerberg = Kirkman?

Only zucker i see is Tony Moore if thats true....

On the outside, it may seem like it would take a chump to get duped like that.

I'm not arguing for or against, but I'm sure when it's someone you know a trust it's easier than we think.

Just saying, I once had an idea for introducing mulletts to the Marvel universe. I haven't seen a dime

If you read the complaint or the summary of it, the basis is that he is not seeing compensation nor being allowed to see the books, so now another can of worms is opened and that is the legal language of their contract.

The general public will probably never know the full truth as my guess is this will probably be settled, but who knows.

All that I will say is that hearing why the split happened made me think I would have done the same thing in Tony's shoes.

I can say that as a good friend of Tony & Kara, and an acquaintance of Robert, that both are good people and we are all fortunate from their collaboration.

I hope it gets resolved in a way where both can be done with it, but I firmly believe that without Tony's input for the original first issues or his covers, Walking Dead would not be the success it is now.

Heck, I probably would have passed on issue 1 back in the day had I not been drawn into the cover and decided to buy based on their earlier collaborations.

Anyways. Caira can speak to the legal ramifications better then I, but know there was an agreement in place clearly on several aspects, such as show credits, toys, merchandise and the book itself.

All good people, hope this gets sorted out and people (us) aren't stuck picking Twilight Camps lol

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36911

Moore filed suit today, claiming he was duped into signing his interest in "The Walking Dead" over to Kirkman in 2005.

So it took him 7 years to realize he was duped (shrug)

riight

:popcorn:

And I am sure this particular legal filing was the first time he tried to get what he feels he's entitled to, that he hasn't been trying all along.

Right.

Moore filed suit today, claiming he was duped into signing his interest in "The Walking Dead" over to Kirkman in 2005.

riight

And I am sure this particular legal filing was the first time he tried to get what he feels he's entitled to, that he hasn't been trying all along.

Right.

Your understanding of basic legal principles and a passing familiarity with both logic and common sense are not helping the torch-bearing mob heat up their tar nor spread their feathers.

It's possible to say that, if Tony Moore had continued to stay on "The Walking Dead" as an artist, it may never have gained the momentum due to a potentially slow or inconsistant publishing schedule related to his ability or inability to keep up with a monthly title, and therefore the success may never had occurred beyond being a critical success as opposed to the current commercial success.

It is possible. However, without Moore, we know for a fact that Walking Dead never exists in its current form.

It is possible. However, without Moore, we know for a fact that Walking Dead never exists in its current form.

bang.

I know a ton more from my private conversations with Tony and Kara. Some of the speculation is way off.

If you read the complaint or the summary of it, the basis is that he is not seeing compensation nor being allowed to see the books, so now another can of worms is opened and that is the legal language of their contract.

Now didn't Tony Moore sign over his rights back in 2005, even enlight of Kirkman mentioning a possible TV deal?

Moore's complaint further alleges Kirkman and his company "have not issued a single statement or allowed access to their books and records in accordance with the reporting obligations of the agreement."

Now why would Robert and his company not allow this unless they were just playing hard ball or felt Tony was not allowed anything? Wouldn't it be best to just follow the agreement fully and be done with it or is this a move done on purpose? Who knows, but I would have to imagine there is plenty of money to around.

To me this is what a lot of it hinges on. Again, I have heard more and not quite sure what the deal is with hearing that Robert had to have 100% interest in order for a deal to go through, but vaguely remember hearing something to that extent if memory serves.

As I said earlier...

There are a lot of moving parts (which our lawyer friends can speak to, I certainly can't with any confidence), such as likeness for toys, merchandising, credits for television etc.

Why did it take so long to see Walking Dead toys?

Why were there awful busts of zombies not based on Tony's work that came out with ridiculous names such as Vince?

Where is the Michonne T-Shirt or any other Tony Moore Walking Dead art on a shirt? Clearly anyone in marketing would see the interest and capitalize on it if it could be done.

A WD 19 cover shirt on light blue...instant sell out...

There is a back story here that will either come to light or will be settled, but I can tell you that Tony is a very honorable person. Some many not like that they charge high prices for art, or sketches or what have you, but at the end of the day we all know he was co-creator of Walking Dead and hopefully that will go further and he will get more credit financially for that.

No one can deny that Tony and Robert both created Walking Dead. What is sad to me is that Robert is not willing to give a piece of that to Tony and just be fair and upfront with it.

I think from reading this that people are turning on Tony for pushing this further, but I think in the end it is only going to hurt Robert in the court of public opinion.

We are seeing it with the Ghost Rider situation over $17,000 or the Kirby Estate, Siegel/Shuster and all of the aforementioned were works for hire, this clearly was not.

I think Tony is going to do very well when this is all said and done and he should.

Moore's complaint further alleges Kirkman and his company "have not issued a single statement or allowed access to their books and records in accordance with the reporting obligations of the agreement."

Now why would Robert and his company not allow this unless they were just playing hard ball or felt Tony was not allowed anything? Wouldn't it be best to just follow the agreement fully and be done with it or is this a move done on purpose? Who knows, but I would have to imagine there is plenty of money to around.

To me this is what a lot of it hinges on. Again, I have heard more and not quite sure what the deal is with hearing that Robert had to have 100% interest in order for a deal to go through, but vaguely remember hearing something to that extent if memory serves.

As I said earlier...

There are a lot of moving parts (which our lawyer friends can speak to, I certainly can't with any confidence), such as likeness for toys, merchandising, credits for television etc.

Why were there awful busts of zombies not based on Tony's work that came out with ridiculous names such as Vince?

Where is the Michonne T-Shirt or any other Tony Moore Walking Dead art on a shirt? Clearly anyone in marketing would see the interest and capitalize on it if it could be done.

There is a back story here that will either come to light or will be settled, but I can tell you that Tony is a very honorable person. Some many not like that they charge high prices for art, or sketches or what have you, but at the end of the day we all know he was co-creator of Walking Dead and hopefully that will go further and he will get more credit financially for that.

No one can deny that Tony and Robert both created Walking Dead. What is sad to me is that Robert is not willing to give a piece of that to Tony and just be fair and upfront with it.

I think from reading this that people are turning on Tony for pushing this further, but I think in the end it is only going to hurt Robert in the court of public opinion.

We are seeing it with the Ghost Rider situation over $17,000 or the Kirby Estate, Siegel/Shuster and all of the aforementioned were works for hire, this clearly was not.

I think Tony is going to do very well when this is all said and done and he should.

Thanks,

It will be very interesting to see how it turns out.

As I said earlier...

No one can deny that Tony and Robert both created Walking Dead. What is sad to me is that Robert is not willing to give a piece of that to Tony and just be fair and upfront with it. I think from reading this that people are turning on Tony for pushing this further, but I think in the end it is only going to hurt Robert in the court of public opinion.

Agreed. This is how I felt when I first read this post, and I totally agree with JJ. Plus they have been friends since they were kids, that has to count for something.

I was unable to find the complaint on court link. I will look again on Monday.

That being said, reading a complaint will give you some information... and a lot of . Complaints are designed to tell one side of the story and often make the other side look like a hoard of angry baby killers.

While some of you appear to have taken sides, which you are free to do for your own reasons, I'd encourage everyone to not do that just yet. Everything to this point is an allegation. We have not read a response or seen a shred of actual evidence/documentation and we may never. I'd wait until this thing plays out. 2c

I was unable to find the complaint on court link. I will look again on Monday.

That being said, reading a complaint will give you some information... and a lot of . Complaints are designed to tell one side of the story and often make the other side look like a hoard of angry baby killers.

While some of you appear to have taken sides, which you are free to do for your own reasons, I'd encourage everyone to not do that just yet. Everything to this point is an allegation. We have not read a response or seen a shred of actual evidence/documentation and we may never. I'd wait until this thing plays out. 2c

Perfect way to put it. Clearly something has to give and appears to have been brewing for years, but we all love and enjoy Walking Dead, Kirkman, Moore etc. So with any luck this will play out well for everyone and fairly...

Maybe that dream of another Moore cover or issue will happen someday... :wishluck:

riight

Right.

So how much leeway would you give a boardie you are dealing with and may have dealt with for years.

If after 6 month you still aint seen some green don't you start to go hm

Or do you wait 7 years before you add him to the probation list ?

And JJ coming in here with his biased BS :facepalm:

But i'm sure the wheels are in motion :popcorn: