• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious, yet Simple, Forum Sales Etiquette Question...

130 posts in this topic

Is it considered acceptable behavior to post a pricing opinion comment in a Forum Only Sales thread once it's been closed by the OP??

You mean something like "Wow, that was a good price, nice purchase (thumbs u " ?

I see people do it all the time (shrug)

Not exactly the direction my opinion would be heading... :(

More like 'you're price was insane'?

Exactly, but a bit more diplomatic (and it wouldn't be just my opinion)...

To what end?

To alert the uninformed on the Board to the preposterous sale price...

Preposterous to whom?

Preposterous to YOU sir, who stated on Monday afternoon that the FMV for this book was $10,000... perhaps you'd like to explain how you're comments on Monday and this response seem at odds...???

So was the book misrepresented in some manner or did the seller lie about outright past sales to make the books sound like it is worth way more than what it really is?

Or did the seller just ask for a lot of money for the book which is more than it normally goes for?

If it is the 2nd one then this is were you should mind your own business because a seller can ask whatever they want for there book.

If it is the 1st you should speak up right away because the seller is outright lying than to the boards to try and inflate the price on the book.

Can you let us know which is it?

So was the book misrepresented in some manner or did the seller lie about outright past sales to make the books sound like it is worth way more than what it really is?

Or did the seller just ask for a lot of money for the book which is more than it normally goes for?

If it is the 2nd one then this is were you should mind your own business because a seller can ask whatever they want for there book.

If it is the 1st you should speak up right away because the seller is outright lying than to the boards to try and inflate the price on the book.

Can you let us know which is it?

Well Brendan, perhaps you'll have to wait until tomorrow to pass judgement on me.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why I bother... (shrug)

Here's the whole story, I know, I was directly involved.

This week, Harry was gracious enough to allow me to come over and look at some books. I was able to make the appointment with Harry and we spent some time going through a ton of books.

I bought a fairly large stack of books, almost an entire short books, including a few slabs. We didn't negotiate that much as Harry's prices were more than fair.

The Detective 33 (if you haven't figured it out by now) CGC 7.5 (slight P) caught my eye. Frankly, restored books, even one as great as this, is hard to figure out a value. Harry wasn't sure of the value either. I went to GPA and to Comiclink, which were no help. He had emailed Rick Whitelock about the value, and Rick hadn't had a chance to respond.

I called up Richard Evans here to get some input. I explained the book and the restoration and tried to get some ballpark figure. Rich said, well, FMV is probably around $10k or so. I thanked him for the information, and communicated that information to Harry. I told Harry that the thought was roughly $10k as FMV in Richard's opinion who is an experienced GA dealer.

I asked Harry for a price, and he said $8k. I called my partner (who I won't name) on this book, and he agreed to the $8k price.

I offered the book to David Miller at around $11k at first, and we negotiated down a bit from there. I was frankly nervous having a restored book as they can be difficult to move, but both my partner and I thought there could be a little more upside to it if you were patient given the strong eye appeal of the book. However, Dave was more bullish on the book, because I said it had nice eye appeal (which it does). After selling the book to Dave, I got some various opinions from a few GA collectors who were putting the value higher than I was told -- but nobody was actually willing to pay that themselves, just that they could easily see a collector paying more for it. I got various guesses, but no commitments. However, I worried, like Harry is now, that perhaps I sold the book too cheap and was too impatient. However, I felt comfortable that I, as the reseller, had at least gotten what I thought was FMV.

David believed that FMV for an unrestored copy was in the $60-$65k area and that a copy with strong eye appeal, even though restored, could sell for more than what I valued it, though he conceded it was going to take some real patience.

I ordinarily would not air the entirety of a private transaction, but I wanted to relay what the facts were/are on this transaction.

If Harry has additional facts to add, I hope he will as this is my recollection, but of course, he may have additional details.

In addition, I am open to comments about how I could have better handled this transaction. I tried to get information on value as best I could, and I hope that I treated Harry fairly. With that said, I don't think David is doing anything wrong by asking what he is asking, and he genuinely believes in the value of the book long term for a copy with high level eye appeal.

I feel badly because I feel like Harry thinks something was misrepresented but as I see it, nothing was. Richard gave an honest opinion. I gave the info to Harry, he set a price, I used the info to sell to David, who had his own opinion on value. That is the sequence of events.

This week, Harry was gracious enough to allow me to come over and look at some books. I was able to make the appointment with Harry and we spent some time going through a ton of books.

I bought a fairly large stack of books, almost an entire short books, including a few slabs. We didn't negotiate that much as Harry's prices were more than fair.

The Detective 33 (if you haven't figured it out by now) CGC 7.5 (slight P) caught my eye. Frankly, restored books, even one as great as this, is hard to figure out a value. Harry wasn't sure of the value either. I went to GPA and to Comiclink, which were no help. He had emailed Rick Whitelock about the value, and Rick hadn't had a chance to respond.

I called up Richard Evans here to get some input. I explained the book and the restoration and tried to get some ballpark figure. Rich said, well, FMV is probably around $10k or so. I thanked him for the information, and communicated that information to Harry. I told Harry that the thought was roughly $10k as FMV in Richard's opinion who is an experienced GA dealer.

I asked Harry for a price, and he said $8k. I called my partner (who I won't name) on this book, and he agreed to the $8k price.

I offered the book to David Miller at around $11k at first, and we negotiated down a bit from there. I was frankly nervous having a restored book as they can be difficult to move, but both my partner and I thought there could be a little more upside to it if you were patient given the strong eye appeal of the book. However, Dave was more bullish on the book, because I said it had nice eye appeal (which it does). After selling the book to Dave, I got some various opinions from a few GA collectors who were putting the value higher than I was told -- but nobody was actually willing to pay that themselves, just that they could easily see a collector paying more for it. I got various guesses, but no commitments. However, I worried, like Harry is now, that perhaps I sold the book too cheap and was too impatient. However, I felt comfortable that I, as the reseller, had at least gotten what I thought was FMV.

David believed that FMV for an unrestored copy was in the $60-$65k area and that a copy with strong eye appeal, even though restored, could sell for more than what I valued it, though he conceded it was going to take some real patience.

I ordinarily would not air the entirety of a private transaction, but I wanted to relay what the facts were/are on this transaction.

If Harry has additional facts to add, I hope he will as this is my recollection, but of course, he may have additional details.

In addition, I am open to comments about how I could have better handled this transaction. I tried to get information on value as best I could, and I hope that I treated Harry fairly. With that said, I don't think David is doing anything wrong by asking what he is asking, and he genuinely believes in the value of the book long term for a copy with high level eye appeal.

I feel badly because I feel like Harry thinks something was misrepresented but as I see it, nothing was. Richard gave an honest opinion. I gave the info to Harry, he set a price, I used the info to sell to David, who had his own opinion on value. That is the sequence of events.

Fairly stated...

My purpose was to demonstrate that this book sold for $8000 on a monday and flipped for $10,000 on Tuesday and was offered to this Board on Wednesday at $22,000...

I cannot believe that many of you wouldn't be put off buy this revelation. I get the concept of offering your latest aquisition for whatever you want, but not at this price, this fast, ON THIS BOARD...

You do agree Harry that I was open in disclosing that the book was being purchased for resale? David was very blunt with me that he was buying the book for resale as well. He's been nothing but honest. And yes I'm biased because he and I have done past deals together but I have bought, sold and co-owned books with him and he's always been honest about his intentions with me.

I am really confused why GPA was no help. There is quite a bit of information on Detective 33's. Did you check Heritage?

Fairly stated...

My purpose was to demonstrate that this book sold for $8000 on a monday and flipped for $10,000 on Tuesday and was offered to this Board on Wednesday at $22,000...

I cannot believe that many of you wouldn't be put off buy this revelation. I get the concept of offering your latest aquisition for whatever you want, but not at this price, this fast, ON THIS BOARD...

:o

Fairly stated...

Wow… we have meet the Pawn Stars and he is us. :o

I have to admit that selling a book for $8000 and seeing it for sale anywhere

for almost 3 times as much a week later would bother me to no end.

No laws have been broken but it certainly seems like Harry got the shaft and

someone is making an unreasonable profit.

That's just it though, the book hasn't sold. So you can't assume that it's going to sell for anywhere near $20k.

The book hasn't sold. Right now the FMV is $10,000.

If he priced the book for sale at a million dollars, that doesn't mean that's what the book is worth.

[font:Book Antiqua]For everyone to understand what it’s going on

this it’s the book and the link...[/font]

Link...

Detective Comics #33 CGC 7.5 Slight (P) Cream/Off-White pages (old label)

Restoration Includes: piece added, spine split sealed, cover cleaned, reinforced

Twilight Pedigree

$20,000

Here is a unique opportunity to own a high grade pedigree pre-Robin Tec for a fraction of the blue label price. Slight Professional Restoration.

1.jpg

22.jpg

That's just it though, the book hasn't sold. So you can't assume that it's going to sell for anywhere near $20k.

I understand and I'm not pointing any fingers. I'm not against profit but it looks

like this book will easily sell for an unreasonable profit and I can understand

Harry's pain. And defining too much profit or unreasonable profit is impossible

but this passes the sniff test for me.

Can someone PM me a list of people who overpay? I'd like to sell them some junk. For a lot of money, of course.

I always do. Then I inevitably need another, better, book (or rent money) and I sell the first one for way less than what I paid. I'm the hobby's greatest collector!