• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

I do hear you on the Preacher 1/Sandman 1 comparison though, though both, I assume, had hefty six digit print-runs given their era.

FWIW, Comichron says Preacher #1 had a print run of 28,200: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1995/1995-02Diamond.html

but also says "These are rankings for Diamond. Capital City's rankings are coming soon."

I can see a smaller print run because of the high cover price, being a Vertigo book, and since Garth Ennis was only starting to become popular (Hellblazer + Demon).

I don't have a source, but I've collected Preacher for a long time and always understood the print run to be around 40K on issue #1.

I feel invincible is a little underated. When the movie does come out...look for this book to skyrocket. Low prin

t runs on early issues. Anyone know the print #'s on 1-20?

Also the official handbook of invincible #1? Print run low? Only one is graded.

I would love Invincible to become huge. Is there really a movie coming out? I hadn't heard that. But the series has such a tall hill to climb, what with being in the shadow of WD for Kirkman. People can't help but compare the two. And at this point, WD will always be much much more popular and command the necessary attention. 2c

I feel invincible is a little underated. When the movie does come out...look for this book to skyrocket. Low prin

t runs on early issues. Anyone know the print #'s on 1-20?

Also the official handbook of invincible #1? Print run low? Only one is graded.

Invincible-Table-81.png

I would love Invincible to become huge. Is there really a movie coming out? I hadn't heard that.

I don't think the movie plans worked out. But that was years ago and with WD doing so well, that may be revisited.

But the series has such a tall hill to climb, what with being in the shadow of WD for Kirkman. People can't help but compare the two. And at this point, WD will always be much much more popular and command the necessary attention. 2c

But that doesn't mean Invincible won't rise in value, or that it's not undervalued currently. Yes, WD is a hit and the hottest thing going. But what do most people do after they read something they like? They ask what else has this writer done?

And most important, the book is actually good. In fact, I think its great. A lot of people getting hooked on WD right now were comic book readers in the 90's coming back to comics. And they were superhero fans. I believe we're just starting to see people discover Invincible. 2c

A year ago Invincible #1 CGC 9.8 was at best a $200 book. And it was that way for years. Now its suddenly a $300 book.

I know there was talk of the movie and then walking dead happened. I know he mentioned he wants to get it done after he finishes the projects he has plans on.doing first which is walking dead and chew possibly.

I would love Invincible to become huge. Is there really a movie coming out? I hadn't heard that.

I don't think the movie plans worked out. But that was years ago and with WD doing so well, that may be revisited.

But the series has such a tall hill to climb, what with being in the shadow of WD for Kirkman. People can't help but compare the two. And at this point, WD will always be much much more popular and command the necessary attention. 2c

But that doesn't mean Invincible won't rise in value, or that it's not undervalued currently. Yes, WD is a hit and the hottest thing going. But what do most people do after they read something they like? They ask what else has this writer done?

And most important, the book is actually good. In fact, I think its great. A lot of people getting hooked on WD right now were comic book readers in the 90's coming back to comics. And they were superhero fans. I believe we're just starting to see people discover Invincible. 2c

A year ago Invincible #1 CGC 9.8 was at best a $200 book. And it was that way for years. Now its suddenly a $300 book.

I would say WD...It's only so long before all the zombies are done with and order is restored....to have more zombies would mean that for some strange reason not all are captured..??? doesn't make sense..well we will see...I still can't believe that a 9.8 WD#1 is worth about almost 4,000 less and maybe 2,000 after a year than a Hulk #1 signed by Stan Lee!

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3Dhulk%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26SearchPageQuality%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DCATEG%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy&id=884530

Get out of here! that's crazy.....though I watch the tv series , this is not even a new concept or character story.. (Day of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 30 days later, etc..etc..) if you think about it..

I would like to have a WD #1, but I don't justify the high prices on any level..

Right on. I couldn't agree more.

I know it has been said before, but Walking Dead 1 has got to be the most overvalued Modern, in my opinion.

Once this show runs it's course, it is due for a drop. Of course, if I am wrong...well then...

+1 ... there is a lot of Dead right now and i personally feel that it's hotter than it should be. I mean consider the census

Walking Dead 1 (grade, Unversal, Qualified, SS, Restored, Total)

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 257 1 58 0 316

Near Mint + 9.6 201 6 42 0 249

There are 300+ of these at CGC 9.8 ... sorry, but i can't justify $700+ bones (no pun intended) for that kind of market saturation.

I know it has been said before, but Walking Dead 1 has got to be the most overvalued Modern, in my opinion.

Once this show runs it's course, it is due for a drop. Of course, if I am wrong...well then...

+1 ... there is a lot of Dead right now and i personally feel that it's hotter than it should be. I mean consider the census

There are 300+ of these at CGC 9.8 ... sorry, but i can't justify $700+ bones (no pun intended) for that kind of market saturation.

don't collect 9.8's then. plenty of 9.8's but not plenty of WD #1's. seeing these prices makes me SO GLAD i only paid $35 for mine.

Market saturation? You just went to a Comicon that had a 200 copy book and is considered rare but 300 is saturation? (shrug)

Market saturation? You just went to a Comicon that had a 200 copy book and is considered rare but 300 is saturation? (shrug)

Now now, don't get mad at me... i simply feel that with more than 300 9.8's on the market, it's hard for me to justify the price points. That's it. And almost 250 9.6's et al suggest that there is a lot of #1's to choose from ... and if we're talking sheer numbers (i.e. print run's), then yes, a book with only 200 copies (i assume your talking about the WD 94 B/W? No?) printed SHOULD be more valuable than one printed at 1000+. Of course, it all depends on POV... right? :foryou: