• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

There are 316 census verified copies of WD #1 9.8

There are not 316 9.8 WD#1's available for sale.

Of the 9.8 WD#1's for sale, they still seem to be selling and going up in price.

8-9 months ago, amidst speculation that this book had surely peaked at $600 and would start to trend down, I said, "I believe this book has legs."

Even now, I believe it isn't done.

I very rarely make predictions on modern speculation, but I still believe this book isn't done yet.

The #94 variant? Fleeting.

wait til the 9.8's start rolling off the press. chromium holographic creator blood covers redux. doh!

Don't give them any more ideas! :insane:

There are 316 census verified copies of WD #1 9.8

There are not 316 9.8 WD#1's available for sale.

Of the 9.8 WD#1's for sale, they still seem to be selling and going up in price.

8-9 months ago, amidst speculation that this book had surely peaked at $600 and would start to trend down, I said, "I believe this book has legs."

Even now, I believe it isn't done.

I very rarely make predictions on modern speculation, but I still believe this book isn't done yet.

The #94 variant? Fleeting.

wait til the 9.8's start rolling off the press. chromium holographic creator blood covers redux. doh!

Don't give them any more ideas! :insane:

I was thinking actor blood, limited to one pint per character & they could introduce Cattle (Norman Readus) with his cover having a mail in entry similar to Harbinger 0 but instead of a comic I want an ear necklace (of course they'll have to treat the human ears or box them correctly so they don't deteriorate. All jokes aside, let's get back to arguing over a bunch of different issues. This was one of my favorite threads. I understand that some people think WD #1 is overpriced & that others think the 94 b/w variant is overpriced & others want at least 100 of the 200 copies ... Personally, I think the black cover retailer incentive hardcover of issues 1-6 is a steal at $100 & that as far as cool sketches & SS issues go that baby is a sleeping giant. Particularly if the litigation goes on and gets nastier than it already is.

I think we've probably seen the end of the WD 19 boom depending on who gets cast as Michonne but maybe not? I hope that its not Tara frok true blood - she's vulnerable but I can't see her play ninja warrior.

On to other comics that are undervalued/over priced:

I think I underestimated the popularity of Luther Strode - you can buy raw issues but they are not NM+ (9.6-9.8) ... I should have never opened my big mouth, but I really want to see the artist Tradd Moore do well. He's a great guy & very underrated. In my opinion, he's the next Rob Guillory.

Fables as I said right before the WD 1, 94 war started is underrated. Tge print run on issue 1 is 20k , there's 2 covers to issue 1 & its been a great book for 100 plus issues. I look for the release of fairest to give it some well deserved press. No matter what anyone says, this comic is responsible for Once Upon a Time, Grimm, etc.

Fatale beast cover is undervalued. If the beauty cover is selling for $20 the beast should sell for $40. I likened it to the gold spiderman 1 w/ the HOC symbol. Doesnt matter how much better the other covers look.

I think Peter Panxerfaust is going to be a cover price comic quickly. If they do an ongoing it may have staying power, but that is it. I've re-read the 1st issue & I still don't see what the fuss is about. Also, I think people are expecting more out of this series than they should. I hope it is a literary masterpiece, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also think TMNT #1 is selling for more than I understand. If collector's are overpaying now b/c of tge new live action film in 2014 I think they'll regret it. I'm nostalgic as the next person , but times have changed & it will take a small miracle for turtlemania to sweep the country again.

I hope this thread can quit the sustained arguing over points where there is no agreement and start picking winners are losers. It is one of the better discussions in this board.

Variants, in my opinion, are part of the commerciality of comics. I couldn't agree more with what's been said. In the end, the WD 94 variant is just that, issue 94. What happens? Anything important? It's certainly not issue 1, or issue 19, or issue 27, or 48. It's an issue with, so far, the largest print run of the series. The "special" cover shouldn't, in my opinion, change this fact.

It's very difficult for me to rationalize variant covers. Sure, there are plenty of variants that have proven a short test of time, but what in 10 years from now? Are these variants going to lead to more speculation in the future? I don't understand why the Thief of Thieves variant is selling for so much, the book is OKAY in my opinion. I think variants are artifically created to sell better, at the instant they are printed, and are then thrown under the rug. Personally, I like the whole idea of different covers, having other artists do their own renditions, ect. IF the price is similar to the original. But why oh why, I can't understand why a "sketch" cover is deemed so valuable. I'll certainly never forget the bursting of the speculation bubble in the 90s.. I see it happening all over again.

Fables as I said right before the WD 1, 94 war started is underrated. Tge print run on issue 1 is 20k , there's 2 covers to issue 1 & its been a great book for 100 plus issues. I look for the release of fairest to give it some well deserved press. No matter what anyone says, this comic is responsible for Once Upon a Time, Grimm, etc.

Sorry, I just don't see it. I was the biggest Fables fan on the planet back in 2005-2007, but I just don't find it nearly as enjoyable as I did then. IMO, this book peaked a LONG time ago (Homelands), and has been running on fumes ever since. I still pick up the trades, and for the most part find them worth reading, but...the excitement is gone. And...while "Once Upon a Time" and "Grimm" might draw inspiration from Fables, that's not the same as a Fables TV series. I see no crossover here.

Fatale beast cover is undervalued. If the beauty cover is selling for $20 the beast should sell for $40. I likened it to the gold spiderman 1 w/ the HOC symbol. Doesnt matter how much better the other covers look.

Agree. If the book stays hot, the Beast cover should catch and surpass Beauty. Not a single seller has mentioned the fact that Beast is much rarer, and I just don't think it's common knowledge yet.

Give it time. 90% of all variants fall by about 90% after 90 days.

90% of nothing is nothing, so by your logic, this book will never fall in price?

(shrug)

Currently, it's $250 (raw). I'm saying there's a 90% chance it will one day be $25 (raw).

hm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item53ea5fc930&item=360414431536&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c22b100da&item=120841109722&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2566f94314&item=160641401620&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item35b7a70457&item=230714442839&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Not TODAY. One day. Big difference. Everybody thinks they've got something special while the ink is wet.

When the ink dries, it's still Walking Dead #94. Issue number 94... the issue that... what happens? Anything?

What happens when the #100 variant is limited to only 100 copies?

What happens where thare are only 10 copies of a #110 variant?

Artificial scarcity is always about what's new. If the only thing a variant has going for it is scarcity, it's got nothing.

Scarcity happens all the time.

Time keeps draggin' on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item53ea5fc930&item=360414431536&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c22b100da&item=120841109722&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2566f94314&item=160641401620&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item35b7a70457&item=230714442839&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=9yFkU6wXcEukFaXnBwS2DnXOPfg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Point taken. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American general public.

(Because we're a community that's globally dumb, not only domestically dumb.)

Then again, a $150 variant is still worth more tomorrow than a $150 meal.

Buy what makes you happy.

But don't invest in variants unless it's your "pooping money".

Are we certain about the Beauty/Beast print run disparity? I remember seeing that on bleedingcool a while back, but I thought it was more just speculation than a solid fact... Did I miss something that confirmed this?

I'm not certain of this either. Many recent Image #1's with variant covers have had a 50/50 split. Fatale may be different, but I've never seen actual confirmation of the numbers.

Are we certain about the Beauty/Beast print run disparity? I remember seeing that on bleedingcool a while back, but I thought it was more just speculation than a solid fact... Did I miss something that confirmed this?

I'm not certain of this either. Many recent Image #1's with variant covers have had a 50/50 split. Fatale may be different, but I've never seen actual confirmation of the numbers.

Here's the article that told of the 2:1 ratio.

Ugly face of speculation - Bleeding Cool

Sorry, I just don't see it. I was the biggest Fables fan on the planet back in 2005-2007, but I just don't find it nearly as enjoyable as I did then. IMO, this book peaked a LONG time ago (Homelands), and has been running on fumes ever since. I still pick up the trades, and for the most part find them worth reading, but...the excitement is gone. And...while "Once Upon a Time" and "Grimm" might draw inspiration from Fables, that's not the same as a Fables TV series. I see no crossover here.

There is actually still talk of a Fables TV show. My point is that it has been a solid comic for 100+ issues. I agree that the work that was put out between 05-07 was some of the best comic book stories/art I've ever read too. Because of that and a print run that is almost as small as the Walking Dead (per cover - approximately 10K copies of each), I think that this book is underappreciated. It should sell for $100 raw all day and about $300-$500 in CGC 9.6/9.8. That's just my opinion. I also think its going to pick up steam when Fairest debuts. The art on Fairest is awesome. Take a look at the preview pages and let me know what you think. Even the best titles go through some slow times, but all in all I think that Fables puts out a solid book every single month which is more than I can say for almost any other title that has run for that long. I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions. Please share.

If you like the first trade ... it will be your new favorite book ... if you don't ... keep reading and it will still be one of your favorites. Infact, I'd probably just buy a lot of all the issues b/c you can get them for less than cover price and I think this book will increase in value as time goes on.

There is actually still talk of a Fables TV show. My point is that it has been a solid comic for 100+ issues. I agree that the work that was put out between 05-07 was some of the best comic book stories/art I've ever read too. Because of that and a print run that is almost as small as the Walking Dead (per cover - approximately 10K copies of each), I think that this book is underappreciated. It should sell for $100 raw all day and about $300-$500 in CGC 9.6/9.8. That's just my opinion. I also think its going to pick up steam when Fairest debuts. The art on Fairest is awesome. Take a look at the preview pages and let me know what you think. Even the best titles go through some slow times, but all in all I think that Fables puts out a solid book every single month which is more than I can say for almost any other title that has run for that long. I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions. Please share.

When I first read the premise for Fables in PREVIEWS, prior to #1 coming out, I thought 'that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard'

The book has been a favorite of mine for almost ten years now. :grin:

Will it ever recieve the acclaim it deserves in terms of collectability? It may not. There are plenty of examples of stellar books and runs that are eternally underappreciated.

You're basing $100 purely on Chew and WD. Clearly those titles excite a more financially motivated group of collectors and speculators. With that said, Fables should probably be worth more than it goes for, but Grimm/Ever After haven't done anything to push back issue demand as they are not clear spin-offs. I like both shows though.

-

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

There is a crowd that wants a WD #1 CGC 9.8

There is a crowd that wants a WD 94

The crowds may have similar members or completely different members.

My only point was that in both cases the # available is less than the crowds that want them.

This type of comparison is done across product lines and services all the time.

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, and a question popped up when I read the above statement... what about raw copies of modern hot books... I mean books that were bought at the store, read, put away, maybe read again and are now maybe..I don't know VF/NM...

Is there a market for those ? A VF/NM copy of Invincible #1, a NM- copy of Y, TLM #1, a VF copy of WD #1 ? etc etc...

I would think there is, as there are a lot of collectors who want to complete the series and are missing these books and a lot of the copies are slabbed NM+ books with the high asking price they command... (shrug)

I'm often in the market for those kinds of books... For the most part I prefer having things raw anyway, but I still prefer to try and keep my absolute minimum grade to 9.0 while really trying for 9.4+. It's definitely become more difficult to find those somewhat HG raw books out there these days, but I think there's definitely a market. Even if it's niche. (And I feel super lucky to have picked up that raw Fables #1 in HG the other day... soooo much nicer than dropping $250 or whatever on the same issue in plastic)