• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

-

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

There is a crowd that wants a WD #1 CGC 9.8

There is a crowd that wants a WD 94

The crowds may have similar members or completely different members.

My only point was that in both cases the # available is less than the crowds that want them.

This type of comparison is done across product lines and services all the time.

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, and a question popped up when I read the above statement... what about raw copies of modern hot books... I mean books that were bought at the store, read, put away, maybe read again and are now maybe..I don't know VF/NM...

Is there a market for those ? A VF/NM copy of Invincible #1, a NM- copy of Y, TLM #1, a VF copy of WD #1 ? etc etc...

I would think there is, as there are a lot of collectors who want to complete the series and are missing these books and a lot of the copies are slabbed NM+ books with the high asking price they command... (shrug)

Yes, there is a market for lower grade 'key' moderns. But unlike the silver age equivalents, the moderns have a larger drop off for lower grades - in my opinion.

I'm often in the market for those kinds of books... For the most part I prefer having things raw anyway, but I still prefer to try and keep my absolute minimum grade to 9.0 while really trying for 9.4+. It's definitely become more difficult to find those somewhat HG raw books out there these days, but I think there's definitely a market. Even if it's niche. (And I feel super lucky to have picked up that raw Fables #1 in HG the other day... soooo much nicer than dropping $250 or whatever on the same issue in plastic)

Yes, there is a market for lower grade 'key' moderns. But unlike the silver age equivalents, the moderns have a larger drop off for lower grades - in my opinion.

Interesting... I'm asking this because a friend of mine really has quite a few of the modern keys which he bought raw and then read etc...and he is always asking me what the value is etc...And I wasn't able to give him a decent answer.

I also remember back in the day when I was collecting modern comics, I was looking for a 8.0 to 9.0 copy of Ultimate Spider-man #1, just to get the series complete and I never was able to find one for sale. Or if I did the price was almost identical to the 9.4 slabbed prices.

I'm often in the market for those kinds of books... For the most part I prefer having things raw anyway, but I still prefer to try and keep my absolute minimum grade to 9.0 while really trying for 9.4+. It's definitely become more difficult to find those somewhat HG raw books out there these days, but I think there's definitely a market. Even if it's niche. (And I feel super lucky to have picked up that raw Fables #1 in HG the other day... soooo much nicer than dropping $250 or whatever on the same issue in plastic)

Interesting... I'm asking this because a friend of mine really has quite a few of the modern keys which he bought raw and then read etc...and he is always asking me what the value is etc...And I wasn't able to give him a decent answer.

I also remember back in the day when I was collecting modern comics, I was looking for a 8.0 to 9.0 copy of Ultimate Spider-man #1, just to get the series complete and I never was able to find one for sale. Or if I did the price was almost identical to the 9.4 slabbed prices.

If he wants to sell them, then to get the best price, he needs to sell when the particular comic is hot. As soon as it starts to cool, then the price sinks quickly especially the lower grades. But if it's hot, then its the best time to sell, so for example, it's a good time to try selling WD #1 but not so much for Ultimate Spiderman #1 even though at its hit it sold dry well.

EDIT -sorry if that was a little garbled, but had to deal with a screaming baby.

Is there a market for those ? A VF/NM copy of Invincible #1, a NM- copy of Y, TLM #1, a VF copy of WD #1 ? etc etc...

--------------------------------

Definitely for WD 1. I got $10 or $15 for a NM- copy of #8 like 2 years ago before the last batch of hysteria hit the prices.

A year or two before that I'm pretty sure I sold absolutely perfect copies of #9 and #10 to a boardie for cover price. I'm an idjit.

This is good info... using the Standard Catalog of Comic Books share of comics sold by Capital City (and following Marvel's percentages as a guide for DC's in the same timeframe),

two different calculations for DC come out to about 27% for Capital City at the beginning of 1993.

Long story short, those two calculations both put the print run for Vengeance of Bane around 125,000 copies.

That 125,000 copies is that just for the 1st printing or is that 1st, 2nd and 3rd printing?

Just wondering what the print run for 3rd printing would be. Just found 15 mint copies in a box. :grin:

WD#1 would be my pick for most overpriced with strong demand.(predicated on the fact that no moderns should be worth anything near what WD gets, and some day that will be the reality)

ToT#1 Comicspro would be my pick for most undervalued with strong demand. (predicated on the fact that there are so few, and it will be a show)

WD#1 would be my pick for most overpriced with strong demand.(predicated on the fact that no moderns should be worth anything near what WD gets, and some day that will be the reality)

ToT#1 Comicspro would be my pick for most undervalued with strong demand. (predicated on the fact that there are so few, and it will be a show)

ToT #1 ComicsPro is a great pick. It's a great book, and it's still the only image book out there with a reasonable shot of getting a TV show. I sold my 9.8 for $450 and wish i would have held on.

This is good info... using the Standard Catalog of Comic Books share of comics sold by Capital City (and following Marvel's percentages as a guide for DC's in the same timeframe),

two different calculations for DC come out to about 27% for Capital City at the beginning of 1993.

Long story short, those two calculations both put the print run for Vengeance of Bane around 125,000 copies.

That 125,000 copies is that just for the 1st printing or is that 1st, 2nd and 3rd printing?

Just wondering what the print run for 3rd printing would be. Just found 15 mint copies in a box. :grin:

necropost4ko_zps542b3456.jpg

WTTB's! (thumbs u

necropost4ko_zps542b3456.jpg

WTTB's! (thumbs u

lol, i almost did this, but just posted instead because it was a fun thread. But if you are going to do that, I think you meant to play this card:

raise_thread.jpg

TWD is responsible for bringing back a lot of comic fans and money back into the hobby. The mass of new titles that have nothing to do with capes and costumes seem to have held that interest. It's certainly not undervalued, I personally think that people are simply charging tomorrow's prices today. It's the seminal / iconic book of its decade and even if it never had a sniff of a TV show I think it would just be steadily rising. Maybe it will peak and drop off for a while but I can't see the bottom falling out of it. I guess there are a few people wondering what it will do in the much longer term.

Robert Kirkman

Amazon Author Rank (beta)

#21 Overall (See top 100 authors)

#7 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction

#21 in Books

#41 in Books > Literature & Fiction

#56 in Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror

#58 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction

It makes me wonder what people would be paying for the best comics from other eras if they had a similar print run. Sandman #1 with only 7000 first prints and 300 9.8s?

Anyway... regarding this thread I think that pretty much all hot moderns are overpriced when they are months or even weeks old. Certainly still an exploitable market (shrug) ... still find it hard to believe what buyers on ebay think an acceptable price point is.

Certainly THE most over priced modern you will ever see is this one

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6506183&fpart=5

Read the whole thread if you haven't already it's a blockbuster (I don't think I ever got to the end of it). To put it in perspective they could have bought all the available cover art on Cadence instead.

/thread

... and I know it's out of context of the rest of the market for that book but it's such a freakshow in my eyes I had to mention it here... each to their own, and I hope everyone is happy.

TWD is responsible for bringing back a lot of comic fans and money back into the hobby.

I agree that TWD brought in new collectors and brought back older collectors who have given up on the hobby years ago (such as myself and a few others I know of).

So if TWD is given at least partial credit for a rise in Image sales, rise in attendance at comic cons, and a rise of interest from the pop-culture oriented general public - would TWD be UNDERVALUED (in future prices, as you point out)? Kinda like how a top player for a sports team creates a higher value for the team relative to how much they get paid.

TWD is responsible for bringing back a lot of comic fans and money back into the hobby.

I agree that TWD brought in new collectors and brought back older collectors who have given up on the hobby years ago (such as myself and a few others I know of).

So if TWD is given at least partial credit for a rise in Image sales, rise in attendance at comic cons, and a rise of interest from the pop-culture oriented general public - would TWD be UNDERVALUED (in future prices, as you point out)? Kinda like how a top player for a sports team creates a higher value for the team relative to how much they get paid.

I think once the TV Show ends the prices on the comics, and original artwork from the series will drop considerably.

This is the main reason I sold my run of the comics when #100 hit. I still enjoy the comic and the TV show, but I can't see in 20-30 years from now people clamoring for WD #1, like fans demand the 1st appearance of Batman, Superman or Spidey.

I think once the TV Show ends the prices on the comics, and original artwork from the series will drop considerably.

This is the main reason I sold my run of the comics when #100 hit. I still enjoy the comic and the TV show, but I can't see in 20-30 years from now people clamoring for WD #1, like fans demand the 1st appearance of Batman, Superman or Spidey.

I dunno. I think that will realllly depend on the comic. Once something receives a place in pop culture history that's thoroughly entrenched, its really hard to dislodge it completely. If the comic sustains a 20-30 year run, I could see the values gaining. Batman and Superman had shows that ended and people everywhere still clamor for those issues. X-Men came out years later and its still a blue chip comic.

Walking Dead may have found its way into a permanent seat at the extremely collectible table.

So no new heroes, no new icons... just a hobby that is doomed to endlessly cycle through the generations of people collecting the same old stuff?

I actually agree with Huskie here. Of course no one really knows what will happen. BUT it's quite possible Kirkman at some point, may hand the reigns off to another writer, and so on and so forth. Of course it's easier for you to think it'll go down, you sold your stuff off! lol. But in truth, no one will know what will happen.

Personally I think it'll have it's ups and downs, but will continue to be a part of our culture for good now.

I actually agree with Huskie here. Of course no one really knows what will happen. BUT it's quite possible Kirkman at some point, may hand the reigns off to another writer, and so on and so forth. Of course it's easier for you to think it'll go down, you sold your stuff off! lol. But in truth, no one will know what will happen.

Personally I think it'll have it's ups and downs, but will continue to be a part of our culture for good now.

Am I personally rooting for the show or comic to fail? No, I enjoy both. I just don't see it having the sustaining longevity of other character or comic heroes who are engrained in pop culture. I read the comic from day 1 when the local comic shop owner suggested it. After a 100 issues I saw how much the books were selling for so I decided to sell mine. I still have the trades for the story, as I enjoyed it.

In my eyes I just don't see it hitting that pinnacle where people still seek the books 20-30 years after it started like the all ages characters of Superman, Spider-Man and Batman.

If I'm wrong, oh well. Just how I see it.

Am I personally rooting for the show or comic to fail? No, I enjoy both. I just don't see it having the sustaining longevity of other character or comic heroes who are engrained in pop culture. I read the comic from day 1 when the local comic shop owner suggested it. After a 100 issues I saw how much the books were selling for so I decided to sell mine. I still have the trades for the story, as I enjoyed it.

In my eyes I just don't see it hitting that pinnacle where people still seek the books 20-30 years after it started like the all ages characters of Superman, Spider-Man and Batman.

If I'm wrong, oh well. Just how I see it.

I see WD getting status more like GI Joe or Transformers than Superman, Batman or Spider-Man.

Still popular, but more of a niche thing than the big boys.

We all agree that TWD changed modern comics. I only started reading comic books at #100 and I can tell from the blogs and forums that it was a lot different a few years ago (and even last year). I am sure a lot of people joined me in reading comic books when #100 came out. When the show ends it will not be on top of everyone's list, but when the bubble pops it will be the only one worth what it is now or more.