• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

That's the bit I don't understand. Would it bother you that you would be depriving 250 (or whatever it is) other fans of the series of the chance to own a scarce, collectible issue?

Especially if you wouldn't be intending to sell them, you wouldn't get extra registry points and you could easily have the most extensive collection without owning half.

It probably sounds like I'm having a go at you, and I'm honestly not - I'm just genuinely fascinated by different collectors' mindsets. At the end of the day it's your money and you are obviously entitled to spend it how you like!

Adam

What about the other 250 who are getting a significantly more valuable collectible because it is more rare than anticipated? They get the benefit of my neurosis. Depriving people is what makes comics have value. I didn't invent that.

That's the bit I don't understand. Would it bother you that you would be depriving 250 (or whatever it is) other fans of the series of the chance to own a scarce, collectible issue?

Especially if you wouldn't be intending to sell them, you wouldn't get extra registry points and you could easily have the most extensive collection without owning half.

It probably sounds like I'm having a go at you, and I'm honestly not - I'm just genuinely fascinated by different collectors' mindsets. At the end of the day it's your money and you are obviously entitled to spend it how you like!

Adam

What about the other 250 who are getting a significantly more valuable collectible because it is more rare than anticipated? They get the benefit of my neurosis. Depriving people is what makes comics have value. I didn't invent that.

I didn't think of it like that, but I don't know it necessarily follows that the other 250 owners get more value - there's no way of telling how many of the people who don't own the 250 you own (in our imaginary scenario) would want to keep their copy if they got hold of one, and how many would want to sell.

When it comes to limited print runs of my favorite comics, I really enjoy knowing that I have the most extensive collection.

How would you know, though? In regards to the Fables #6 RRP, for instance, you said that you have 4 copies - I know at least two people who own more copies of that book than you, yet neither of them would be so bold as to proclaim that they "have the most extensive collection of this particular issue".

There is always someone tougher than you, smarter than you, and possessing more copies of any given comic book than you.

Well.....not ALWAYS. :baiting:

When it comes to limited print runs of my favorite comics, I really enjoy knowing that I have the most extensive collection.

How would you know, though? In regards to the Fables #6 RRP, for instance, you said that you have 4 copies - I know at least two people who own more copies of that book than you, yet neither of them would be so bold as to proclaim that they "have the most extensive collection of this particular issue".

There is always someone tougher than you, smarter than you, and possessing more copies of any given comic book than you.

You missed 'taller than you'. :gossip:

I didn't think of it like that, but I don't know it necessarily follows that the other 250 owners get more value - there's no way of telling how many of the people who don't own the 250 you own (in our imaginary scenario) would want to keep their copy if they got hold of one, and how many would want to sell.

Haha. I don't mind being the evil hoarder, but what I actually want is around 20-25 copies. I have 9 now, so I am getting close. Of those, I plan on getting them pressed and slabbed and then will keep the highest graded copies and maybe will let go of the lower grades. My risk is that everyone I get could be junk.

Even if I kept all 25, that would be 5 percent of the total print run, hardly enough to swing prices over the long run.

That said, I probably did have something to do with the current prices being at $150, but once people realize that I won't be buying copies forever, the price will come back down.

The reason I jumped on it initially is that it gets harder to find supply after the next couple months. Look at Fables 6 RRP. It is really rare to even see an auction for one now and the cost is steep for each one...

Seth

Haha. I don't mind being the evil hoarder, but what I actually want is around 20-25 copies. I have 9 now, so I am getting close. Of those, I plan on getting them pressed and slabbed and then will keep the highest graded copies and maybe will let go of the lower grades. My risk is that everyone I get could be junk.

Not bagging on you.. But why not just wait till all the graded ones go up for sale, save your money and buy the best one...

Not bagging on you.. But why not just wait till all the graded ones go up for sale, save your money and buy the best one...

I might do both. Depends on how much they sell for...

Seth